Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you "mark" your hat as yours?

There are a variety of methods available to mark your hat. Some will use ink and write on the inside of the sweat band. If bought new, in the past you could have the shop either embosse your initials or whole name in the gold print on the hat band. I have seen where the owner has written on the silk liner, too.

I think they still make "laundry pens" that makes a very permanent mark. I use a Pilot brand "Gold Marker" (Stock #41500) to write my name or initials on the sweat band and the satin liner. The Gold marker is pretty permanent, I have used it on Vice Grips plyers and it hasn't come off in years of use. You may find them at "Staples" or maybe the "Office Depot" though I got it at staples. They are different, you shake the pen and pump the point to write with them. I got a fine liner one to write small.

Best wishes!

Raindog

One of the Regulars
If I were doing it I'd write my name on a cloth patch and sew it inside somewhere, so I could remove it if I sold it on.
If I knew for sure I was keeping it I'd try and find a hatter with a stamping machine and get it embossed. Some of the hatters here might be able to do it:)

Jeff.

Brazen is as brazen does. There are many places where a thief when confronted, claims the item to make you prove it is yours, to have your initials or name discounts all brazen claims. I have seen it happen on several occasions. People that are ugly inside tend to do ugly things, being without conscience or the normal constraints of polite society. With it generally accepted that one out of every 10 people are just plain nuts, you will eventually run into somebody that has a "problem" or is just not taking his medication. Also if it should get lost you stand a better chance of it being returned plus it aids you at the lost and found.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
John in Covina said:
Brazen is as brazen does. There are many places where a thief when confronted, claims the item to make you prove it is yours, to have your initials or name discounts all brazen claims ...

Thank goodness I haven't yet been to one of those boozing, brawling, hat-snatcher dives ... ;)

Still, your point is taken.

VisforVictory

New in Town
I printed up a copy based on an original that was being sold with a WWII visor cap:
likehellhat.jpg

Here's a real-size copy, feel free to use if it suits you:

likehell.jpg

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
The easiest thing for me....

Business cards.

That said, I'm intriqued by a conversation I had last week with a man who worked in his dad's hat shop many years ago. He says somewhere in his garage he's still got the machine and character plates used to stamp customers' initials in the sweatbands. And he's pretty sure there are still rolls of the gold foil left with it. If his memory is correct, I may soon have -- or have access to -- a vintage stamping machine.

Snrbfshn said:
A man who worked in his dad's hat shop many years ago, says somewhere in his garage he's still got the machine and character plates used to stamp customers' initials in the sweatbands. And he's pretty sure there are still rolls of the gold foil left with it. If his memory is correct, I may soon have -- or have access to -- a vintage stamping machine.

WOW! & COOL! Find out it it still works, please! If not a zillion $, I 'd love to have my name embossed in my next hat!

Sincerely,

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Most of my hats have my calling card in them, tucked into the inside of the sweatband. Easy enough to remove, of course. Your initials in the sweatband are always a good idea, although something hidden on the inside of the sweatband that no casual hat swiper knows about is probably a far better choice.

Never had a hat stolen, hope that never happens. I generally retain mine in public places or just keep them within my line of sight. I occasionally have to leave them on a chair or table whil I'm dancing, though...knowing my card is at least inside them is decent peace of mind. That'll scare off most folks, those who aren't deterred will probably be sneaky enough to make off with it unnoticed anyway.

BenCraft Hatters in Brooklyn still has the machine, and I now have one hat with my initials in it. I'm sure if you search around, you can find a hat shop in your area that will do it for a small fee.

(After going to BenCraft, I was surprised that J.J. Hat doesn't have this machine)

Regards,

Senator Jack

Aquia33

One of the Regulars
Civility Gentlemen, civility!

I am not a proponent of the "Like hell it's yours...." We have chipped away at our civility with little things like this. If someone wants to take your hat, this will not encourage them to put it down. On the other hand if a person mistakenly takes your hat, perhaps a more gentelmanly way of letting them know would render your lid back to it's resting place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot