Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How does a bristle hairbrush work?

Oscar Tong

Familiar Face
I purchased a bristle hairbrush recently. (The manufacturer claimed that it was made with "100% boar bristle".) Now, at the risk of sounding like a dummy, how the heck am I supposed to use this thing? [huh] I've tried to use it several times, now, and I still feel like I'm doing something wrong (or maybe it's just my hair :p).

When I look at pictures of other men from the past, at least the few I've seen over the last little while, their hair typically has volume. I've never been able to give my hair any volume. Am I supposed to use the brush along with another tool? (Oh, by the way, I'm using Brylcreem. I still can't believe that London Drugs, of all places, carries it. It is found among men's grooming products, such as razors, instead of hair-care products, in case anybody is interested.)

I'm sorry if I sound a little inarticulate this time. It's a combination of frustration and being flabbergasted. As always, I would appreciate any help I can get. Please be as explicit as possible. Thank you.

shamus

Suspended
I've had a few mason bristle brushes and I don't like the 100 boar. I like it mixed with a nylon too. My scalp is just too sensitive and I guess you're might be too.

Oscar Tong

Familiar Face
shamus said:
I've had a few mason bristle brushes and I don't like the 100 boar. I like it mixed with a nylon too. My scalp is just too sensitive and I guess you're might be too.
Too sensitive? Do you mean that it hurts your scalp? What other types of bristle are there? I know virtually nothing about bristle. In fact, until I started doing research on old hair styles here, I hadn't even heard of bristles in general. (That should give you an idea of how much I get out of the house! :p)

shamus

Suspended
Yes, It's too hard on my scalp. Nylon is softer and flexes more. I actually perfer a comb. Give me an ACE hard rubber comb and I'm happy.

I tried the nice boar brushes and just don't like them. They're great for shoes though....

Angelicious

One of the Regulars
Well, I know nothing about mens' hair, and not much about bristles, but I do have a suggestion...

Try not putting the brush on your scalp the whole time. That is, brush away madly (as you do) to deal to your scalp and any knots or cowlicks. When it comes to styling, brush close to the scalp when you want it close, and for areas with volume, put the brush to your hair, start brushing, and lift it a little where you want volume, guiding the hair into place as though you were moulding er... whipped cream? [huh] :p The hair should cling to the brush just enough to guide it into place. (I'm working from my own experience. Using Brylcream might change things a little; I don't know.)

When it comes to bristles, it seems to be personal preference. Some people find boar or other animal-type bristles too hard, as Shamus said. I personally stay away from nylon, as it leaves my hair too static. ;) (I do have long hair, but have heard the same from men.) There are always hair/nylon mixes...

I hope that made sense, and helps a little! :)

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Hey,
Asian hair is hard to get into those wavy patterns. My bangs are down past my nose, and even then, it's hard to get that wave. I find that when I want that sorta Clark Kent curl, I brush it, but before I finish the stroke, I press the hair where I want with the brush and pull away.
Asian hair gets pretty flat when its wet or with pomade, so the looks I tend to go for are the regular parts and slicked back front. Think DiCaprio as Hughes in Aviator.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I found that Brylcreem was light, especially compared to the royal crown and murray's i use.
On another note- I rarely ever just use the bristle brush. I read somewhere that the bristle brush is good for the shiny patent-leather finish. I usually use a comb, too. I got my dad's stiff Asian hair, but it has a little wave at the ends from my mom's side, so I need to use a wet comb to get my hair where i need it to be.

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:
I have a brush by Kent of 100% bristle. My hair has a tendency to grow up, so volume has never been a problem. Maybe the Brylcream is just too heavy for your hair type?

I too have a Kent brush and you have to be gentle with it. It's purpose is to remove the dead skin flakes from the scalp and distribute the natural oils to the ends of the hair.

I keep one in my office shaving kit for during or after work freshen ups. Remember to check for skin flakes on your shoulder before you meet and greet.

Pyr.

Shaving_kit_1.jpg

Oscar Tong

Familiar Face
Patent-leather hair?

Thank you, everybody, for your good advice and information. If there is anything else that I should know, by all means, please enlighten me. Meanwhile, there is one other thing that I can't figure out—what does this "patent-leather" hair look like? What is patent leather, anyway? Is it some kind of leather that is protected by a U.S. patent? [huh] (I'm not trying to be cheeky.)

Angelicious

One of the Regulars
Patent leather is that leather that has a very shiny, almost plastic-coated look to it. It's not the kind you polish up with bootblack. :)

I guess patent leather hair is hair that's shiny and slicked-back to look smooth and almost solid?

Like a friend of mine said, in an injured tone... "I'm not greasy! I'm pomaded..." ;)

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
I think they mean 'patent leather' look in terms of shine. Think damp hair with freshly applied gel...an eye-catching shine (although, gel tends to get crunchy after it dries). Patent leather shoes are typically worn with tuxedos and certain uniforms (for example, military). I'm told that many television personalities wore their hair to such a shine in the early era of TV, as it showed up on the black-and-white screens well. If you noticed, many of the ads from the era from the era also stress the healthful appearance of sleek and shiny hair...as opposed to frizzy and dry.

Checking Wikipedia, patent leather is traditionally made by lacquering linseed oil over leather, with plastic coating sometimes being substituted in modern manufacturing processes.

Here's an example of a patent-leather look:
bk1200_119.jpg

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Oscar Tong said:
When I look at pictures of other men from the past, at least the few I've seen over the last little while, their hair typically has volume. I've never been able to give my hair any volume.

I wish I had your problem actually. My hair is very wavy and frizzy and I am pretty much unable to slick it straight back unless I load my hair with a whole can of Murray's. I usually just part my hair on at the side and slick it that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters