Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"How Hot Is It"

smoz

One of the Regulars
This is how hot my corner of South London is at the moment ...

Icecream-melt.jpg

Hal

Practically Family
Give me -40C over +40C any day. At least I can do something about that - and wear an extra layer. And -40C makes me feel alive, you know? It shocks the system and it's all a bit exciting (plus I get to wear the gear that suits me best, I think) ...
I'm with you all the way, and many other Britons will be with you too. Our average July temperature is 16C but we are sweltering in temperatures more than 10 degrees higher. And in my experience, those who curse and grumble about cold weather are precisely those who won't wear extra layers. Like you, I much prefer the clothes of winter - high temperatures are simply not friendly to classical/traditional dressing.
But this?!? It's the wretched humidity! I just wilt and fade in a state of sweating torpor...nothing to do except forgo style for function.
Fortunately, it isn't too humid here so far - but 33-35C, with humidity, is forecast for next week.
I'd've been useless fighting in the steaming jungles of Vietnam or Burma, me. Or the baking desert in North Africa.
Steaming jungles, yes; in the non-humid baking deserts (or the dry summers of Mediterranean climes) sweating will be just as prevalent but not noticed because of the evaporation - the danger is in becoming dehydrated without noticing it.

Graemsay

Practically Family
I'm not finding London too bad. I've been to parts of Asia where it's 35 degrees and humid, and 30 degrees is bearable after that.

technovox

One Too Many
And while the rest of the Northern Hemisphere is basking in the heat, today it's windy, foggy and a chilly 55 -62 degrees here in California...San Francisco, that is. Typical summer weather here near the SF coast. The warmer it gets inland, the colder at land's edge. Meanwhile, awaiting my new Aero FQHH HB- could use it about now.

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
And while the rest of the Northern Hemisphere is basking in the heat, today it's windy, foggy and a chilly 55 -62 degrees here in California...San Francisco, that is. Typical summer weather here near the SF coast. The warmer it gets inland, the colder at land's edge. Meanwhile, awaiting my new Aero FQHH HB- could use it about now.

the coldest winter I've ever seen was summer in San Francisco...;)

nick123

I'll Lock Up

ba***rd :)
I'm stuck in San Jose where it's JUST hot enough to not be able to wear our jackets.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Altogether everyone....

"How Hot Was It?!!!!"

So hot a camel came by beggin' fer a cuppa shade!

So hot round here the Devil said I could cool off in his place!

Get much hotter we'll all be nudists!

Worf

IXL

One Too Many
Heatwave here in the UK as well.
Sitting in the shade , sipping some ice-cold Pimm's , watching the Open golf on the TV ,
whilst listening the the Lords test match (that's cricket to you stateside) on my iphone .
The only leather on my mind is that covering the cricket ball that's currently bowling out the Aussies..

I discovered Pimm's just this last holiday season. I've kept it on hand ever since.

IXL

One Too Many
It's hot enough around here right now that we weigh the possibility that there is a remote chance that "this is the day someone will shoot me in the chest" versus this is the day that "if I wear my body armor I WILL die from heat stroke!"

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Over here we can get 113 degree temps with 90% humidity. That's insufferable. I'd love a London summer, so easy by comparison.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
We had a mini heatwave here last week. The temperature got up to 23 degrees celsius (73 Fahrenheit). It's unusual because it is the middle of winter here in Australia, and the hottest July day since records began.

Of course, the day ended with high winds and heavy rain.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Thursday was the worst! I made the mistake of taking one of my motorcycles up to Garden Of The Gods to shoot some photos. I wasn't thinking, and put my full face helmut down on the asphalt. When I put it on it was baking, then I got stuck in the tourist traffic at 15mph. When I got back to town, I was well done, stoped at one of the motorcycle shops, grabbed a Mountain Dew, (which I don't even care for) and went into the mechanics shop because they had a big fan on. Then I went home, to show I never learn, and got another motorcycle out for a run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24