Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How I repair and clean up paint on leather

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Friends, I just got a great jacket from a member. The jacket needed some TLC due to paint in several areas on the leather.

I used a technique shared by a friend of mine who has more than 50 years of working in the leather industry.

First, the removal of the paint. I used a black permanent "sharpie" marker to lightly go over the painted spot and quickly removed the marker residue. In the process, the marker material lifts the paint quite well. I made a three-minute video demonstrating the process.

Second, I repaired the left swing-back area that was coming off. I added several stronger stitches in the repair. Due to the fact that I did not remove the lining, the extra stitches were a little more visible. Personally, I think it came out ok.

Lastly, When the jacket is clean and conditioned, I will share my views on the difference between the same cycle champ Korean-made HD.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

closeup.jpg

I will upload to youtube. Link will be available for those interested:

Last edited:

Daniel Veit

One of the Regulars
Thanks for sharing! I learned something new here.
Can you tell us what kind of marker you were using? Is it a permanent or a non-permanent type?

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
It is a permanent type. It must be permanent for the oil-based paint. This method works like a charm. It takes time sometimes with a stubborn spot. As you can see at the beginning of the video. There was a very stubborn spot at the very beginning However, as the video show, the removal of paint became much easier in other spots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points