Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long are US Authentic A2's

Dagda

New in Town
Hello. I'm new here and this is my first post. I bought a US Authentic A2 Russet Horsehide size 40 and am wondering how long it will be in the back. How about sizes 42 and 44?

-Justin

Dagda

New in Town
Yes, I used to own a Wested HH Raiders, but sold it because I got tired of the finish. I bought the US Authentic HH A2 becasue I fell for the company's misleading website that states that the finish rubs off naturally, showing the beautifull layer underneath. From what I've read here, that's not entirely true. So, I'm wondering how the finish eventually ages on the A2 and I'm also wondering how the vintage will age. I'm aware that it'll crease and get some grain, but I'm wondering what the vintage hide will do, with regard to patina and colors.

Kojax, do you live in Haverhill, Cambridgeshire? I used to live in Cambridge, right off of Midsummer Common. Great place.

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I'm not going to pull out my 44 US A and measure it now, but it's definitely longish. Let me put it this way: it's a good inch (perhaps more) longer than my two size 46 Gibson & Barnes jackets (a Civil A-2 and Historic M-422A).

And no, the HH finish does NOT wear off. I got my seal HH in 2002, and it hasn't worn off substantially, not even at edge of the windflap, the epaulettes, the elbows, nowhere. Very thick leather... with a very heavy finish. But I love it anyway!

Dagda

New in Town
I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Is the leather on your horsehide sort of spongy and soft, or is it just hard. My wested HH had a body that was a bit soft and when you squeezed it, it felt a little spongy. It was nice. I hope the A2 coming to me in the mail is like that. I think that if I decide to keep my A2, I'm breaking out the rubbing alcohol, cotton balls, and sand paper. I had to do that with my old Wested HH. I like the way chrome tanned leather is water resistant, but can't stand that plastic feel my old HH Wested had. Plus, the undertone on it was red on the sleeves, a pinkish red, and the body was just white underneath. I couldn't do much with that one. does the US Authentic A2 have fake pores pressed into the finish like the Westeds?

yar

New in Town
My 38R size one month old US Authentic A2 is 62 centimetres long in the middle of the back, from the lower edge of the stand collar to the end of the cuff. The finish starts to wear off on the edges a bit already, the color underneath it is a very light brown. I hope this helps you.

Dagda

New in Town
Yes, that does help me a lot. Thank you very much. I can only assume that the size 40 will have a little more length, with would be perfect. Is your jacket goat or horsehide?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I am not aware of "fake pores". (I've never seen a horsehide Wested - mine is lambskin.) I will observe that the different panels on the US A jacket developed grain differently. Some wrinkled in a lot, but some stayed fairly smooth, and never changed much.

It is definitely a springy, spongy hide, and creaks loudly. I haven't had enough experience with other horsehide for a better comparsion, but it's certainly springier and creakier than any cowhide, goatskin, or lambskin jacket I've had.

I just looked at it carefully... As I said before, there's NO evidence of the finish wearing off anywhere to reveal the under-color. Sorry about that. (OTOH, I don't know how relevant a made-in-2002 jacket actually is vs. their current production models anyhow.)

yar

New in Town
Yes, that does help me a lot. Thank you very much. I can only assume that the size 40 will have a little more length, with would be perfect. Is your jacket goat or horsehide?

Horsehide it is. Very heavy, but i really like that.

@ Doc Strange, time will tell. Like i said before, mine is only one month old, and i can see the lighter underneath color only on some tiny spots on the edges now. Maybe it will just stay there.

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
I've got a 3-year old russet color A-2 from U.S. Authentic. The finish is breaking down in the high wear areas on mine. The color first goes from the russet (finish coat) to a dark seal brown (drum-dyed color) underneath and now there are some areas that have worn down to the peanut-colored horsehide.

Keep in mind though that I've beat the tar out of this jacket; I've crawled under my cars to do oil changes and fuel filter changes wearing this jacket. It just won't quit! It's pretty tough.

Noel

Dagda

New in Town
I am interested to see what your jacket looks like, Noel. It seems like it would look better if the jacket was seal brown on top and had a russet undertone, then the brown leather underneath. But, then again, my imagination isn't the greatest, so I'd really like to see photos if you have any. I'm sure a lot of people would.

Dagda

New in Town
Thanks for the link. That chart for size 40 is a bit different in length than mine, though. I got it in the mail. The back is around 26 or 27 inches. Haven't measured it yet, but it's not 23 inches. I had a 24 inch Wested HH and it was way too short.

This US Authentic HH is nice. You can see the creases and characteristics under the finish, unlike the Wested HH, that has a thick finish with a lot of texture pressed into it. No, this US Authentic HH is amazing, in comparison. I'm glad to have it now. Wasn't too stoked about it at first, but when I saw it, I changed my mind. The sleeves creased in one night of wearing. Just one night! It sort of sucks that the russet wears down to the dark seal brown and then to the peanut leather undertone. But, anyone interested in this leather should take note that in my opinion, you coan really see some awesome characteristics of the horsehide underneath the finish. The liner is about as thick as a pair of those old Duck Head shorts that were so popular back in the early nineties. I can wear this thing in 20 degree weather with the wind and snow blowing (today) and not even get cold. I just zip up the jacket and everything is fine. Being a dad with a little baby who has a food covered face most of the time, I can really appreciate the thick finish. I would probably be worried about staining the vintage hh if i had bought it. But, I'll get one of those in just a few short years.

yar

New in Town
I post the measurements from another thread since it could be helpful here too, i received it from Shaul per email.

A2 Size 38R

Chest 22" (56 cm)
Shoulder 19.25" (49 cm)
Sleeve 37.5" (95 cm)
Center Back 25.5" (65 cm) - in the reality, my 38R jackets centerback length is only 62 cm if you measure it like in the picture, so thats an inch less.

A2 Size 40R

Chest 23" (58 cm)
Shoulder 20" (51 cm)
Sleeve 38" (96 cm) for Tall add 2" (5 cm)
Center Back 26" (66 cm) for Tall add 2" (5 cm)

Like you see my jackets back is 1 inch shorter than in the theory, consider it might be the same for size 40. I measured it from the lower edge of the stand collar.

Last edited:

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
I wonder, with regard to finishes, whether the "vintage horsehide" would show more "character and depth," as US Authentic states, than the regular horsehide. Does anyone have any pics of the US A vintage horsehide? There was one photo on this forum, but I cannot find it again.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I dunno what Shaul does to "vintage" his HH, but I know what I did:

I recently acquired one of his horsey A-2's. It's VERY heavy - really winter-weight, about half again what any of my other A-2s weigh - and it started out very smooth (not to mention somewhat oversized).
I tossed it in the washer, then the dryer, and gave it a full hour on high heat.
Now it fits and has loads of grain, and even a lightened edge here and there as jackets get when worn.
Pix on request (just got a new digicam and would be keen to take some).

As to length - the OP question - I find them a little longer in the body than normal, but quite a bit longer in the sleeves, mostly because of the knit.

Last edited:

Tell Kathy I Love Her

Familiar Face
Fletch, you said, "pics on request," well yes I would love to see your Authentic horsey jacket, especially after the aging process. May I ask, how tall are you and what size in the US A fits you? I am torn between a 38 and 40.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot