Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long does it take you to get ready?

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Exactly 1 1/2 hours to get out the door every work day-- no matter what, even if I oversleep. Of course, that's me and two preschoolers with their own personal fashion sense.....

Honey Doll

Nashoba

One Too Many
Anywhere from 10 minutes (usually on the weekdays after my husband has convinced me I have to get out of bed to go teach seminary, we START at 6 am) to 6 hours if we're going out or if my hair is being stubborn. Usually though an average of 15 minutes to an hour

Nash

Zach R.

Practically Family
Now that I'm in college and since I want to maximize sleep, it takes me from the time I get up to the time I get out the door-18 minutes.

That includes taking a shower, fixing my hair(the most time consuming), brushing my teeth, and dressing, of course.

I'm one of the only males I know to use a hairdryer.:p

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Twenty minutes if I blow dry my hair, twice that for a natural dry, which I prefer. Black tie or casual dress, it takes about the same time as long as everything is laid out.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
30-45 minutes which is for showering, shaving, futzing with my hair, getting dressed, brushing my teeth, getting a damp towel to get the toothpaste off my shirt, gather up whatever it is I need to take with me, and lock up the house. If it's a dressier or special occasion, add some more time depending on level of formality.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Tony in Tarzana said:
I haven't timed it, but the majority of the time is spent searching for a pair of sox that match.

Amen to that - and fussing with cufflinks.

A related question: How long does it take you to get undone after the workday? Well, I come unglued by 10AM, but that's not what I mean.
At the end of the day, everything gets reversed, right? All the vintage finery has to be removed and properly stashed or tossed in the laundry. And then wash up, change, etc. I can get it done pretty quickly, but often as not I just leave it all on until bedtime if there's no messy work to be done. Amazes the neighbors - out on the porch swing reading mail after dinner in a tie.

matei

One Too Many
It all depends... Probably around 35 to 40 minutes. This includes shaving (have to shave, hate to go out looking like a bum), showering, dressing, and giving the aul shoes a quick brush.

I always try to make the effort to dress well, no "mailing it in" for me. Usually on Sundays I'll wear jeans, but not for the rest of the week. M-F, suits, and on Saturday, a pair of nice trousers. I'm not a jeans guy.

Lately my routine has changed because I've enrolled in the gym around the corner. I'm up by 06:25, in the gym by 06:40, have a quick shower there and I'm back home by 7:25. From there I make some juice for me, the wife and the parrot (he is partial to fresh carrot, lemon, ginger and orange juice too), shave and get dressed. I'm usually out the door a little after 8:00.

Assuming that I am going into the office that day or to a client’s, it takes about 40 minutes, longer if the kids are up and need to be entertained. If I am working at home like I do most of the time, 20 minutes tops.

On decompressing at the end of the day, about 20 to 30 minutes if I have been away from the house and zero if I worked at home.

PR

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
ProperRogue said:
Assuming that I am going into the office that day or to a client’s, it takes about 40 minutes, longer if the kids are up and need to be entertained. If I am working at home like I do most of the time, 20 minutes tops.

On decompressing at the end of the day, about 20 to 30 minutes if I have been away from the house and zero if I worked at home.

PR
Interested in what you say about working at home. I've been a work-at-home type for many years. I read something in a book called 'The Business of Creativity' a long time ago that said, for the freelance worker-at-home, it makes a big difference to actually put on your work clothes even though you're not leaving the house. I don't do it often, but when I do, it certainly positively impacts my sense 'I've got work to do.'

adamgottschalk said:
Interested in what you say about working at home. I've been a work-at-home type for many years. I read something in a book called 'The Business of Creativity' a long time ago that said, for the freelance worker-at-home, it makes a big difference to actually put on your work clothes even though you're not leaving the house. I don't do it often, but when I do, it certainly positively impacts my sense 'I've got work to do.'

:eek:fftopic: I think a lot of it for me is because of my type of job - I am a technology reserach analyst. If I am going into the office or a client's, then I am probably meeting with at least one C level executive or more, which means a suit with all of the trappings, etc. If I am working at home, then I can just wear chino's or jeans and a polo - which is a lot quicker and keeps my laundry bill down. I can see where putting on the work clothes helps some people throw that mental switch that now it is time to go to work - our company founder actually used to do that when he first started the company many years ago by making and packing his lunch, putting on his suit, and then kissing his wife good-bye before going down to the basement to begin calling clients.

Two things do it for me, one is actually stepping into my office at home. That is all it is, an office, and that is all I use it for. So if I am not working I am not in there. Second, I use a kitchen timer to focus me on 15 minute tasks. So when I first set down at my computer, I set the timer fo ten minutes which is my time to read the news. When the timer goes off, it is into the email and time to start making calls.

PR

JamesT1

Familiar Face
45 minutes to an hour. Same for weekends and weekdays.*

*This does not include breakfast or manditory lounging in bathrobe time.

James

Lord Jagged

New in Town
I have the morning routine down to an art - takes me 30 minutes on working days from pouring out of bed at 5am to rolling out the door at 5:30am.

Hondo

One Too Many
Matt Crunk said:
ufguy11 said:
How long does it take you to get ready? 5 minutes? 10? Maybe 15 or 20? This includes time to take a shower, brush teeth, shave, choose a suit, tie, hat, shoes, socks, etc. Comments?
QUOTE]

Depends if I'm dressing for work or going out on the town. For work: 15 to 20 minutes to shave, shower and get dressed at a nice relaxed pace. Going out: probably 30 to 45 minutes to shave, shower, fuss with my hair, dress, then admire the man in the mirror for a good ten minutes.

-MC

You got it Matt, 15 to 20 mins Tops!!!
Nice young blonde with blue eyes waiting might take 30 at best ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt