Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How long is reasonable?

Mark

Practically Family
Hi, just a quick question; How long is reasonable to expect a modification to be made on a jacket and have the jacket returned? The maker is not in the UK. I am getting increasingly frustrated, have sent a few emails that have been replied to with reassurances made in the past. Time has gone by and no news so recently sent 2 emails politely expressing my concern but no reply. I am beginning to have doubts I will see the jacket again.
I do not think it fair to say any more than this right now but if you are at interested I will update you if/when I hear some thing. Just what is a reasonable length of time in your opinion. Thanks guys.

With covid everything seems to be moving a lot slower. A delay can be expected. Poor communication however, is inexcusable imho. Takes no more than a few seconds to pen an update email. Good luck, hopefully your jacket is returned sooner than later.

Mark

Practically Family
With covid everything seems to be moving a lot slower. A delay can be expected. Poor communication however, is inexcusable imho. Takes no more than a few seconds to pen an update email. Good luck, hopefully your jacket is returned sooner than later.
Thank you, I hope so indeed.

To answer your question, I don't think I ever had to wait longer than two weeks for any kind of leather jacket alteration. If it was more than that, it's something they ought to have warned you about before taking on the job. So two weeks tops, in my opinion.

Mark

Practically Family
To answer your question, I don't think I ever had to wait longer than two weeks for any kind of leather jacket alteration. If it was more than that, it's something they ought to have warned you about before taking on the job. So two weeks tops, in my opinion.
I have been waiting since June 18th 2020!!!

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Did you send it back to the original maker for alterations? Did they give you a quote when you sent it?
7 months is quite long. I'd give them a call and ask a direct answer.
I hope you won't get screwed by the Customs due to Brexit. Make sure the sender clearly describes "returned item" or something similar.

Mark

Practically Family
Did you send it back to the original maker for alterations? Did they give you a quote when you sent it?
7 months is quite long. I'd give them a call and ask a direct answer.
I hope you won't get screwed by the Customs due to Brexit. Make sure the sender clearly describes "returned item" or something similar.
Yes went back to the original maker. No quote or time scales given, however never thought it would be this long. In fact I have requested they just return the jacket and forget the alterations and I will pay the return postage! Still no reply. I totally get the Covit/Brexit deal but I was a bit annoyed to see them making jackets for others and posting pics on Facebook.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Yes went back to the original maker. No quote or time scales given, however never thought it would be this long. In fact I have requested they just return the jacket and forget the alterations and I will pay the return postage! Still no reply. I totally get the Covit/Brexit deal but I was a bit annoyed to see them making jackets for others and posting pics on Facebook.
If you're confident that they can command english at an acceptable level then call them. The fact that they are the original maker would make me worry less.

Mark

Practically Family
If you're confident that they can command english at an acceptable level then call them. The fact that they are the original maker would make me worry less.
Yes they can speak English but there is no phone contact available. Thinking I will not see this jacket again perhaps.

Mark

Practically Family
you have probably already tried, but if not ... contact via Facebook? Via messenger or as a comment under one of the pictures posted?
Thanks for that. Yes I have tried twice. In fact both my requests to contact me were deleted, by the poster/maker I assume.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
^^ That is not comforting, nor is it comforting that there is not a stated phone contact.

You have every right to be annoyed/frustrated/concerned at this point. Reach out a little more, see if there is any other way to contact them. Since this company is not the UK and you are based there, hard to tell exactly what (if any) recourse you have.

If it was a shipping issue - and you have a tracking # with a carrier that would be a much different scenario. Shame this occured for you, I would at least find out the location and contact of the "city hall" as most towns require businesses to be registered. Perhaps they would have options for you...?

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks for that. Yes I have tried twice. In fact both my requests to contact me were deleted, by the poster/maker I assume.

Since the maker is in a different country, legal recourse will probably not be practicable and/or not be financially viable. That means that you will very likely have bad luck. If someone refuses to communicate so consistently, something is wrong.
If that happened to me, I would write one last friendly email on all channels (email, fb, instagram, ...) and if there is still no response, threaten to present the situation in all forums, consumer portals and social media and then also implement.

Mark

Practically Family
Since the maker is in a different country, legal recourse will probably not be practicable and/or not be financially viable. That means that you will very likely have bad luck. If someone refuses to communicate so consistently, something is wrong.
If that happened to me, I would write one last friendly email on all channels (email, fb, instagram, ...) and if there is still no response, threaten to present the situation in all forums, consumer portals and social media and then also implement.
Yes good idea. I will leave it until early Spring (the time I would like to wear it) and see what happens. I will update in case anyone is at all interested and reveal the name of the company!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ