Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many folk know their own country's anthem these days?

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LAST week whilst having breakfast at the B&B I was staying at, I was having this conversation with a couple of Americans who were staying there too. It appears that it is no longer on the list of priorites in education to have young people taught their own National Anthem. Then a young couple at the end of the breakfast table, admitted that they didn't know the words to the British National Anthem (God Save the Queen). I have no doubts that they are probably in the majority of people in this country these days. I wonder how many in the states would know the words to the Star Spangled Banner, or even the tune, if stopped and asked in the street? Rather worrying if you ask me.
Oh, and the ironic thing is, for immigrants to gain British Citizenship, they have to go through a test and know the national anthem. Yet folk born as British Nationals, are not tested on this citizenship!!
How can we ever encourage pride in our country and communities, if the very emblems of it are lost on the very people that make up the country?
I was taught the national anthem at school. We had school assemblies every morning in front of our national flag (Union Jack) and learnt and sang hymns in communal praise. Whether pupils believed in what they were singing was neither here nor there, what was important was this feeling of belonging, of being on the same team, of camaraderie and of being part of something that was much greater than all of us, but much greater for being all of us.
In less than half a century, all this has disappated somewhere, is no longer encouraged and the fabric of the country is getting rather torn around the edges! The GREAT in GREAT BRITAIN, has become a mere shadow of itself.

So has your own homeland been affected by this rot that seems to be setting in, in a land of nomads where people do not even know their own national anthem..?

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
I'd venture to say that most Americans know the "Star Spangled Banner". After all, it is played at every sporting event in country, and most people sing it. However, that being said, most Americans are probably not able to recite the words or sing it by themselves if stopped on the street. Allow me to explain.

Most people are self-conscious when it comes to singing thing that you SHOULD know and take seriously. Songs on the radio are different. Nobody really cares if you mess that up, but the National Anthems are a matter of pride. As a result, people find comfort in singing it with a group or when they are not being specifically focused on. Also, people feel much more comfortable sing with music as opposed to a capella (without accompaniment). They have a reference on which to judge the pitch. Sure, they may still miss every note, but it makes them feel more confident.

I will admit that I generally do not sing it. This actually comes out of occupational habit. Most of the time when it is being played, my band is playing it and I am listening to things we need to improve upon for the next time. If I sing, I am less effective at it. So I usually have to make a conscious effort to sing it at other times it is being played. However, all of my band student know the words as I make them learn it (if they already don't) in the 6th grade (along with the school song).

On a side note, while we do not sing the National Anthem everyday in school, we (at least here in Texas) do say the ?¢‚Ǩ?ìPledge of Allegiance to the Flag?¢‚Ǩ? (and one to the Texas flag) everyday. However, that may change as a few folks here in the US have gotten there panties in a wad (no offence to the ladies here) over the Pledge. It seems that even allowing the student the option not to say it at all is too much for them. They don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t even want them to hear it. And all because of one word. But, that is a whole debate in itself.

Well, time to crawl back into my dark deep hole for another few weeks.

macawber

Familiar Face
I know Advance Australia Fair, Ao Tearoa (New Zealand), God Save the Queen and the Star Spangled Banner. I know the American anthem because I was born in the States, but all the others are played at Rugby sporting events. God Save the Queen was sung when I went to primary school in Australia. When I was in primary in the US we also sang "My Country Tis of Thee", is this song still sung?
Australians I believe for the most part know the first verse of the national anthem.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
We sing the Star Spangled Banner every Friday in school. We say the Pledge of Allegiance daily. Sometimes we sing America, The Beautiful or My Country 'Tis of Thee (catchy tune, no Brits?). On rare occasion do we sing This Land is My Land.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Part of the problem with the US anthem is that it is very difficult to sing well, as opposed to the anthems of many other nations such as Germany, Great Britain, Russia and perhaps even France.

"America the beautiful" and "This land is my land" shouldn't be sung at all unless you have long hippie hair and a guitar.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
macawber said:
I know Advance Australia Fair, Ao Tearoa (New Zealand), God Save the Queen and the Star Spangled Banner. I

Gee, when I was living in NZ, 'God Defend New Zealand' was the National Anthem- but 'God Save the Queen' also had an equal footing apparently.
What happend in the 10 years I've been away?
We have a Maori National song now?

Is 'Aotearoa' the alternative/Maori/unofficial version?

There was of course 'Our Homeland Aotearoa', the school song...'. is that the one..?

B
T

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
TEST

How many people know the 2nd verse? (National Anthem that is). Tne first verse is too easy. Really like Oh Canada but I think the Maple Leaf Forever was pretty good also. I'm trying to understand the bloodthirsty nature of the Marseille (?) A little blood and cut throats are good to set a man up for the day I guess. Maybe a student of history could fill me in on the details, you know aside from headless corpses, the aristocracy etc. Does anyone remember what the American Anthem was before the Star Spangled Banner? I dont, just wondering, I cant remember now.

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
Actually, there are four verses to "The Star Spangled Banner." I actually know them all by heart, as it was required for entrance into a fraternity.

There was no National Anthem until 1931 when Congress declared that "The Star Spangled Banner" should hold that honor.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Congratulations, you passed the test (?) There was some song that was utilized for federal functions, visiting heads of state, right? Oh well, I'm just taking a break in moving my hat boxes to the basement. It was my wifes request :cry: It took me years to learn the route to school, even longer to learn the verses of the Nat'l Anthem. I was a slow student before special ed, must be why I always liked hats. Kept the sun and rain off my head while I was lost.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I always thought ....

"Dixie" would have made a good National Anthem. :)

or, maybe "Bonnie Blue"...

bonnie_blue.jpg

We are a band of brothers and native to the soil
Fighting for the property we gained by honest toil
And when our rights were threatened, the cry rose near and far
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star!

Hurrah!
Hurrah!
For Southern rights, hurrah!
Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star.

As long as the Union was faithful to her trust
Like friends and brethren, kind were we, and just
But now, when Northern treachery attempts our rights to mar
We hoist on high the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star.

Hurrah!
Hurrah!

First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand
Then came Alabama and took her by the hand
Next, quickly Mississippi, Georgia, and Florida
All raised on high the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star.

Hurrah!
Hurrah!

Ye men of valor gather round the banner of the right
Texas and fair Louisiana join us in the fight
Davis, our loved President, and Stephens statesmen are
Now rally round the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star.

And here's to brave Virginia, the Old Dominion State.
With the young Confederacy at length has linked her fate.
Impelled by her example, now other States prepare
To hoist on high the Bonnie Blue flag that bears a single star.

Then here's to our Confederacy, strong we are and brave,
Like patriots of old we'll fight, our heritage to save.
And rather than submit to shame, to die we would prefer
So cheer for the Bonnie Blue flag that bears a single star.

Then cheer, boys, cheer, raise a joyous shout
For Arkansas and North Carolina now have both gone out;
And let another rousing cheer for Tennessee be given
The single star of the Bonnie Blue Flag has grown to be eleven!

Of course, the views and opinions expressed by the troublemaker Biltmore Bob, do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the Fedora Lounge...and, as always, your milage may vary.

macawber

Familiar Face
Bellytank
God Defend New Zealand is still the national anthem, but the maori version has official status and is sung in maori and english, at least at international rugby matches. God Save the Queen is still an official anthem too.
I quite like God Defend New Zealand, stirring stuff.

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
I may get butchered for this but, thanks to Casablanca, one of the most beautiful and most triumphant anthems is the Franch National Anthem. That was a beautiful scene of a flawless film.

Old Americana is becoming... politically incorrect in this country. The atheist that sued to remove "God" from the Pledge of Alligience recently won in three states. The irony is that his daughter is a Chrsitian and wants God in the pledge of alligence.

I can understand tolerance to a certain point, however to change the foundation of an entire country because of your views does not sound tolerant, it sounds totalitarian or Utopian.

I am growing tired of Politicians and Lobbyists on both the right and left spectrum of views.

Rewrite my constitution, rewrite my pledge and you rewrite my citizenship... you rewrite my life.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I hereby officially nominate "Sweet Georgia Brown", the greatest tune man has ever whistled, to henceforth be known as our new national anthem.

shamus

Suspended
SappySwami said:
Well, the "One Nation Under God" part was added in 1954.

I don't remember the name of the cartoon, but Porky Pig resites the National Anthem without the "Under God" from the 1930's.

"under god" I believe it was actually added later to "defend" against the evil godless Russians during the cold war, so I wouldn't go as far to say that leaving it out would go against tradition as it traditionally wasn't there in the first place.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
No under clouds

I remember saying the National Anthem without "under God". There wasn't anything in its place. It went from "one nation" directly to "indivisble".
But as B.B. (Bonnie Blue) shows it is easily divisible.

Paddy, You brought up another interesting point. To become a citizen you have to know American history and political structure better than a lot of college students I know that were born here. If you want to know how the House and Senate work ask someone with a green card.

The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner