Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many hats do you have...?

How many hats do you own?

• 1-10

Votes: 25 27.2%
  • 10-20

Votes: 22 23.9%
  • 20-30

Votes: 14 15.2%
  • 30-40

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • 40-50

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • 50-60

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • 60-70

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70-80

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • 80-90

• 90-100

• Total voters

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Less the ones on ebay now, these + 1.

Hatsx20.jpg

OH MY WORD! Scott what hat is the fourth one, first row for me.?
and the third one, fourth row?

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
portolan said:
others? There must be a story there somewhere.....I love it!

I have a pattern of achieving the magic '20', then buying about 15, then selling about 15...so the '20' is tweaked a bit.

The 'others' are two in the mail from ebay that I was unable to resist - a 1920's long-hair black Stetson 3X, and a 1930's? Stetson Royal Panama.

Breakdown, top to bottom, left to right:

Row 1: 1930s? Borsalino, 1930s Stetson Standard, 1920s Stetson No.1, 1940s Stetson Playboy Zephyr, 1950s Open Road
Row 2: 1930s Schoble Spinner, Montecristi rebuilt by Optimo, 1930s Playboy Air Light, Stetson Nutria Boss Raw Edge, Montecristi rebuilt by Optimo
Row 3: Montecristi rebuilt by Optimo, 1920s Sarnoff Irving, 1930s? Brock, 1940s Stetson Avenue Vita Felt, 1940s Champ Premier
Row 4: 1920s Stetson Select, 1920s Parkway, 2009 Akubra Fed IV Deluxe, 2009 Stetson Chatham, 1920s 'Superior Quality'

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Aureliano said:
Hey Scott, what color is that playboy of yours? (my monitor shows a light tanish one...)

Thanks Mr. P, Douglas, Mario.

That Playboy is a light Mauve - it goes perfectly with a burgundy shirt and black jacket. I would love to score the same hat in tan...and light blue...black...dark blue...

rlk

I'll Lock Up
(2)Summer Straw Storage

4276258361_73c3231199_b.jpg

The Guard Dog is ever vigilant!
There are rumors she may be called to duty in the FBI's hunt for certain recalcitrant FL'ers not yet reporting to Monteagle for questioning...

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
The Guard Dog is ever vigilant!
There are rumors she may be called to duty in the FBI's hunt for certain recalcitrant FL'ers not yet reporting to Monteagle for questioning...

I always chuckle when I see pics of your stacks of Optimo boxes. I prefer them, as you can just fold them flat and stuff in the closet when not in use.

By the way, you know my new avatar was directed at you :)

AlphaP

New in Town
Since the last time I posted I've made several additions to my 'collection', heh.

Along with my 3 green hats (I like green, like the orcs say: "Green is best!") I picked another 3 hats:

1 vintage black wide-brimmed funyi hat with a wide, enormous ribbon and custom paper inserts inside the sweatband to make it fit the head of the previous owner. Ironically, said papers also helped me as well...

1 panama hat with a nice feather, my current companion in this destructive and merciless summer.

1 vintage grey funyi hat with low crown (quite low), wide brim and small ribbon. It came with its original box and everything! I got it for less than 10 bucks. A true gem.

Thus, six hats: 3 vintage and 3 new so I'm even.

Now I'm probably going to see if I can get a custom made hat at Maidana...

Winston-Smythe

New in Town
1 Brent Black Aficionado
1 Worth & Worth Primavera (made by Guerra of Italy) in charcoal gray
1 Akubra Lightning Ridge in fawn

Very happy with all three. Akubra has a bit of a western look so it works well in Texas. The Primavera is my travel hat. It is crushable, but needs a good bit of steam from a hotel iron to remove the wrinkles. Mr. Black's masterpiece will get more wear in the spring and summer.

fedorafiend

Familiar Face
I own too many but can't stop

ScottF said:
I have a pattern of achieving the magic '20', then buying about 15, then selling about 15...so the '20' is tweaked a bit.

The 'others' are two in the mail from ebay that I was unable to resist - a 1920's long-hair black Stetson 3X, and a 1930's? Stetson Royal Panama.

Breakdown, top to bottom, left to right:

Row 1: 1930s? Borsalino, 1930s Stetson Standard, 1920s Stetson No.1, 1940s Stetson Playboy Zephyr, 1950s Open Road
Row 2: 1930s Schoble Spinner, Montecristi rebuilt by Optimo, 1930s Playboy Air Light, Stetson Nutria Boss Raw Edge, Montecristi rebuilt by Optimo
Row 3: Montecristi rebuilt by Optimo, 1920s Sarnoff Irving, 1930s? Brock, 1940s Stetson Avenue Vita Felt, 1940s Champ Premier
Row 4: 1920s Stetson Select, 1920s Parkway, 2009 Akubra Fed IV Deluxe, 2009 Stetson Chatham, 1920s 'Superior Quality'
Scott. I like your top twenty method of rotating purchases and sales. I now own more than sixty and have to adopt a similar system---maybe top thirty? Problem I have is that I tend to get attached to all of them and find it difficult to part with any.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
fedorafiend said:
Scott. I like your top twenty method of rotating purchases and sales. I now own more than sixty and have to adopt a similar system---maybe top thirty? Problem I have is that I tend to get attached to all of them and find it difficult to part with any.

If you are serious about maintaining a certain number, and you are buying them as quickly as most of us do, you really need to keep a spreadsheet - I have all data on all hats, including a ranking, cost, value, and measurements, in Excel. When I get up to around 35, I start working from the bottom getting rid of some. When I acquire a new one, the odds of it cracking the top 20 are really slim, regardless of how nice it looks on ebay.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
If you are serious about maintaining a certain number, and you are buying them as quickly as most of us do, you really need to keep a spreadsheet - I have all data on all hats, including a ranking, cost, value, and measurements, in Excel. When I get up to around 35, I start working from the bottom getting rid of some. When I acquire a new one, the odds of it cracking the top 20 are really slim, regardless of how nice it looks on ebay.

100795789_e652af42d6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy