Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many hats does one man need?

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
The 40s and 50s Stratoliner, 3X, and Open Road hats (and most other manufacturers "clones" of that era) are a great entry point for those new to collecting vintage felt. There is a good supply on the used market and, with a little digging, they can be had at affordable prices.

20231216_160317.jpg 20240115_053119.jpg 20240115_053037.jpg
As a complete newbie to better hats, and my first in the works, I’m aiming for 5.
A casual/outdoor felt fedora type, in the works, Something like this.
View attachment 580417
Brown felt dress fedora.
Black felt dress fedora.
Everyday straw(non work, gonna get a little dirty/sweaty)
Nicer straw for going out.

Who me?

New in Town
The 40s and 50s Stratoliner, 3X, and Open Road hats (and most other manufacturers "clones" of that era) are a great entry point for those new to collecting vintage felt. There is a good supply on the used market and, with a little digging, they can be had at affordable prices.

View attachment 580424 View attachment 580427 View attachment 580428
Those are great looking hats Randy. Very much the styles I am appreciating at the moment.

The third hat is generally what I’m trying to achieve with my first refurb/remodel. I like the drop in the crown from front to back.

I have a Peters Bros. Banker 100 sent off to a hatter at the moment. It’s from the 80s so nothing as collectible as the older felts, but seems to be decent.
The crown is very soft and easily formed into different shapes, but it has a cattlemen’s crease with a (mule kick?) in the front. A front pinch, tear drop crown takes out the kick and lowers the crown a little, which I like, but I think it needs some steam to hold the pinch.
The brim is 3.75” and I would like it to be cut down to 2.75. I like the raw edge, but haven’t ruled out dressing it up.
Probably keep the band. Even with a sweat mark on the front, I think it looks good.
IMG_2634.jpeg

IMG_3474.jpeg

IMG_3473.jpeg

I need to start looking seriously in the used market. My head is a little on the large side, around 7 5/8.

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Those are great looking hats Randy. Very much the styles I am appreciating at the moment.

The third hat is generally what I’m trying to achieve with my first refurb/remodel. I like the drop in the crown from front to back.

I have a Peters Bros. Banker 100 sent off to a hatter at the moment. It’s from the 80s so nothing as collectible as the older felts, but seems to be decent.
The crown is very soft and easily formed into different shapes, but it has a cattlemen’s crease with a (mule kick?) in the front. A front pinch, tear drop crown takes out the kick and lowers the crown a little, which I like, but I think it needs some steam to hold the pinch.
The brim is 3.75” and I would like it to be cut down to 2.75. I like the raw edge, but haven’t ruled out dressing it up.
Probably keep the band. Even with a sweat mark on the front, I think it looks good.
View attachment 580545
View attachment 580547
View attachment 580548

I need to start looking seriously in the used market. My head is a little on the large side, around 7 5/8.
Shady Oak Banker Special 100 is a pretty special hat.
You might want to preserve it and cut up another hat for your desired needs.
Hope it’s not too late!
You’ll thank yourself later!!
B

Who me?

New in Town
Shady Oak Banker Special 100 is a pretty special hat.
You might want to preserve it and cut up another hat for your desired needs.
Hope it’s not too late!
You’ll thank yourself later!!
B
The hatter has not started on it yet. I think I understand your sentiment, but if you would explain further I would appreciate the knowledge.
My problem with the current configuration is that I won’t wear it. I sweat a lot so I see this as a cold weather hat only. I like big brims on summer hats for the sun protection, but on winter hats I don’t want anything more than a 3” brim. Prefer 2 3/4”.
The other thing is I don’t care for cowboy hats. I lived on a horse ranch as a young boy and had the whole rig. Cowboy hat, denin jacket and jeans, western belt, belt buckle and big pointy toed boots. I understand the whole western side of things, but now the western hat is not practical for me and I won’t wear one.
Im a country boy, but not a cowboy anymore. Doesn’t fit my style. Size 15 foot and I don’t even have a pair of boots anymore.

As said earlier, I would love to hear the reasons for keeping it as is. I’m truly interested in others opinions on this particular subject.
Also, I’ll never sell the hat. It belonged to my father and will stay in the family.

Gott go but I’ll be back.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
The hatter has not started on it yet. I think I understand your sentiment, but if you would explain further I would appreciate the knowledge.
My problem with the current configuration is that I won’t wear it. I sweat a lot so I see this as a cold weather hat only. I like big brims on summer hats for the sun protection, but on winter hats I don’t want anything more than a 3” brim. Prefer 2 3/4”.
The other thing is I don’t care for cowboy hats. I lived on a horse ranch as a young boy and had the whole rig. Cowboy hat, denin jacket and jeans, western belt, belt buckle and big pointy toed boots. I understand the whole western side of things, but now the western hat is not practical for me and I won’t wear one.
Im a country boy, but not a cowboy anymore. Doesn’t fit my style. Size 15 foot and I don’t even have a pair of boots anymore.

As said earlier, I would love to hear the reasons for keeping it as is. I’m truly interested in others opinions on this particular subject.
Also, I’ll never sell the hat. It belonged to my father and will stay in the family.

Gott go but I’ll be back.
Simple…just to preserve it for what it is.
Hats to cut up and modify are a dime a dozen.
The Shady Oak Bankers Special 100 is not.
Plenty people here would love to have one just for it’s historical value.
You could even sell it here and buy several other hats to fit your preferences.
B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner