Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many hats does one man need?

2013_Augustiner_Weissbier_Munich_pub.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I change the question to a question I can answer: Do you, the short bald man, enjoy your hats and caps? Yes I do. Enormously. Hats and caps that I do not enjoy I send them to appreciating homes.

Need? This is the word in your question that stops me. In thinking about an answer to hat needs, I go to Aristotle's account of human needs. This is valuable because he describes the connections between logical, metaphysical, physical, human and ethical necessities. Followed to conclusion the proper Aristotelian conclusion is that, far from being an inferior activity fit only for slaves, meeting needs is the first part of Aristotelian virtue.

I need hats. Therefore I have virtue. ;)
(The above is indeed tongue in check tonight.)
That intellectual argument I would describe as philosophy. The most general definition of philosophy is that it is the pursuit of wisdom, truth, and knowledge. Indeed, the word itself means ‘love of wisdom’ in Greek. Whenever people think about deep, fundamental questions concerning the nature of hats and the limits of human knowledge, their values and the meaning of life, they are thinking about philosophy. Philosophical thinking is found in all parts of the world, present, and past and the limits of the knowledge of wearing hats and the values, as well as the meaning of life, they are thinking about philosophy. Actually, they are thinking about whether it's wise to get the new felt hat wet, when it's persisting down outside.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Eric gets extra points for his hat-philosophy combo knowledge!
I change the question to a question I can answer: Do you, the short bald man, enjoy your hats and caps? Yes I do. Enormously. Hats and caps that I do not enjoy I send them to appreciating homes.

Need? This is the word in your question that stops me. In thinking about an answer to hat needs, I go to Aristotle's account of human needs. This is valuable because he describes the connections between logical, metaphysical, physical, human and ethical necessities. Followed to conclusion the proper Aristotelian conclusion is that, far from being an inferior activity fit only for slaves, meeting needs is the first part of Aristotelian virtue.

I am in the process of ordering a couple of hats, and someone in the home asked, "How many hats is too many hats?" It seems as though you folks can offer an unbiased opinion on the matter.

Lots of existing threads. Look around as see if your question hasn’t already been addressed.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/how-many-hats-are-too-many.65242/page-3

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/how-many-hats.7401/

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/how-many-hats-is-enough.48292/

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/how-many-hats-does-one-man-need.105297/page-2

I am in the process of ordering a couple of hats, and someone in the home asked, "How many hats is too many hats?" It seems as though you folks can offer an unbiased opinion on the matter.

Oh, I'm fairly certain our opinions here are far from unbiased. That's why some of us prefer Fedoras, or Homburgs, or Pork Pies, or caps, or...well, you name it. I'm still waiting for the day when I log on and read a serious post by one of the members who claims, "Yes, I have only the one hat. It meets all of my wants and needs, and I'm absolutely happy with it. I don't need more than one."

Oh, I'm fairly certain our opinions here are far from unbiased. That's why some of us prefer Fedoras, or Homburgs, or Pork Pies, or caps, or...well, you name it. I'm still waiting for the day when I log on and read a serious post by one of the members who claims, "Yes, I have only the one hat. It meets all of my wants and needs, and I'm absolutely happy with it. I don't need more than one."
That would be my wife but she doesn't post because.....she isn't a collector!!! I have no idea how I ended up with her other than we probably couldn't afford for the two of us to have the same weakness (strength?).

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many

Brilliant! We could do a 20th Century update since metaphysics is dead and claim that there is nothing outside of the hat, anyway.

To paraphrase Derrida: Everything is hat!

You'd be better off trying to find two unicorns.

Who me?

New in Town
As a complete newbie to better hats, and my first in the works, I’m aiming for 5.
A casual/outdoor felt fedora type, in the works, Something like this.
IMG_2797.jpeg

Brown felt dress fedora.
Black felt dress fedora.
Everyday straw(non work, gonna get a little dirty/sweaty)
Nicer straw for going out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm