Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many hats is enough?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
It looks like there are two points of view on this.

There are the collectors, who have as many as they can or want, depending on desire and money, of course. They are worn as their owners see fit, of course.

And there are the people who dont necessarily collect, but own and wear a couple-to-a-few, as was done way back when they were popular.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh...and one bowler. :D

Yes, and it's time is coming soon...

Yes Sir!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TFrO8c_kVQ

ChristmasEveChristmasDay2009029.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I have about 25 hats and still feel there are holes in the collection. Certain styles and makes of hats that I still want, but just can't afford at this juncture in time. At least I appreciate what I have and rotate them out with the seasons. Certain hats for certain times of year and climates. I know I probably have enough, but I see certain styles and I think that it would round out the collection nicely. We shall see I suppose.

Cheers!

Dan

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
It looks like there are two points of view on this.

There are the collectors, who have as many as they can or want, depending on desire and money, of course. They are worn as their owners see fit, of course.

And there are the people who dont necessarily collect, but own and wear a couple-to-a-few, as was done way back when they were popular.

I concur :) I've 11 hats. 6 felt ( 4 Akubra's) and 5 Panamas. 'Cause of the weather here in Texas, I wear my Panama's more and really do like 'em better and will probably add more as time goes on :)

racuda

New in Town
How many hats are enough?

Just wondering...I joined here just three weeks ago and I have already purchased four hats. The first two were new Scalas, black and brown. A new Akubra Banjo Paterson will be delivered tomorrow and yesterday I bid on, and won this Cattleman on eBay.

My wife doesn't know about the last purchase yet. Are there any tips for telling spouses about new acquisitions?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Some folks only want one or two hats. Somehow my collection got up to 11, with one more on order.

I look at it this way, hats are both functional and fashionable. I'm sure plenty of spouses here have many pairs of shoes. You have dressier shoes, casual shoes, shoes for work, etc. Well, I have a dressy hat, I have an outdoors hat, I have a hot weather hat, I have a fashionable* stingy brim hat. ;)

*(errm, fashionable among my generation)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Just wondering...I joined here just three weeks ago and I have already purchased four hats. The first two were new Scalas, black and brown. A new Akubra Banjo Paterson will be delivered tomorrow and yesterday I bid on, and won this Cattleman on eBay.

My wife doesn't know about the last purchase yet. Are there any tips for telling spouses about new acquisitions?

In the heyday of hat wearing, most men had probably no more than 3 hats at one time and you can only WEAR ONE hat at a time so you decide what YOUR max is :)
( my father back in the 50's/60s had usually only 3 hats he wore at any time as I recall) That's a nice Akubra you picked up at a GOOD price :) It's an Australian market model as it does not have a liner as the ones sold here in the US. As far as your spouse, that's ENTIRELY up to you and the level of your marriage and how long :) Any one that advises on that one is taking big chances :D

DJH

I'll Lock Up
How to tell the wife!? DONT! Seriously though, this is best avoided...

Let's face it, where hats are concerned, wives are very unpredictable - mine being a classic example.

She has actually bought me two hats, one from Art for last Father's Day and one that is on order from John Penman for our Anniversary. From this you could conclude that she was an understanding, hat friendly woman.

That would be so wrong - when a new hat arrives she sometimes goes nuts, I have to try and time the arrivals when she is out of town. Even then, she sometimes takes inventory to see what hats might have arrived that she missed.

Things are usually OK for me, because she is normally at work when the mail is delivered and I'm home before her in this evening. Just this last week though, the worst happened - I got home to find two packages already taken inside the house!!! I knew I was in big trouble and it cost me a pair of Frye boots - bugger!! :D:D

Iyor

One of the Regulars
How to tell the wife!? DONT! Seriously though, this is best avoided...

Never tell the wife she will always ask why you need more than one , to this I respond I'm trying to catch up to your shoe collection and buy her another pair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ