Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many keys do you carry?

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Big Man and Andykev are a couple of the guys I've seen with lotsa keys at work:) Another weird thing about keys is that you find them in a drawer and have no idea what they go to anymore and they don't fit anything in your house.:eek: ...but you're kinda scared to toss them cause you might find out what they're for later and need them.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
House -- Front Porch
House -- Inside Porch
Theatre -- Master Key
Theatre -- Projection Booth
Car
Strongbox

Not too many, but I still own a ring of keys from the apartment building I co-managed ten years ago, a building which has long since been demolished. I also have my grandfather's key ring, which has at least forty keys on it, including the keys to his gas station (defunct since 1981), the key to his 1956 Ford pickup, and the keys to the cash register and candy and Coke machines!

Barbigirl

Practically Family
VW Bug clicky key alarm flippy thing
Apartment key
Apartment complex gym/pool key
Mailbox key
SO house key
Main Office door key

Normally I would have a key to my own office as well but the guy who was in there before me kicked the door in once when he locked his keys in the office. So the door frame is all messed up, it has been in the maintenance queue of things to fix for a very long time.

Caledonia

Practically Family
Car key
House key
Barn key (in case I lose the house key, then I have shelter - except they're on the same ring - might need to rethink that one...)

Everything else is in the 'secret' space behind the 'secret' cupboard, in the 'secret' room, below the 'secret' cellar. In fact, I have no idea where the rest are, so my fortune is secure!

Locks & bay gulls

Daily carry
1- house
2- garage
3- pickup
4- attache case
5- gun lock
6- safe

I have a keyring for church with 4 that I should remember to bring whenever i go.

I must have about 8 padlocks of various sizes to lock up traveling cases and the bicycle. But they go with only when traveling with said case

maintcoder

A-List Customer
I like to keep it simple...

Car key
House key
Garage key
Office key
Desk key
Mailbox key
Girlfriend's house key

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
A lot less than I used to. A couple vehicles, our house, folks house, office, a regularly used padlock, and a handcuff, hey you never know :D. Although I do seperate the vehicle key I am using and put the rest in the console normally.

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
Twitch said:
Hey Willi Goat, your wife know about those handcuffs or were your fixing to surprise her?lol lol lol

Actually she got a set of furry ones at her bachelorette party. Hmm, I knew I carried that thing for a reason. Never know when she may lock me up and leave the house.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I hate carrying extra keys, and have avoided it all my life.

My ideal would be three keys: One car ignition key, one for home and one for my office. But I can't get there.

Everyday, I carry a two-piece snap ring with the car key on one piece, office and house keys on the other. Then when I switch cars, all I need to do is press the release and change to the other car key.

I normally carry:

Ring One: 1 Key - 280ZX ignition
Ring two: 4 Keys - two for office (building key and office key) and two for home (front door and deadbolt)

I'm considering removing the dead bolt key from my ring, as there are two other doors into the house that use the same key as the front door, so if the dead bolt is locked, I can still get in. Reducing the number of keys from five to four would be A Good Thing. Actually, I just took it off. I realized that I haven't used it in six months, so I've proved to myself that I don't need to carry it. Good.

Other keys are kept on separate rings. For instance, keys for the trailer hitch and cartop carrier on our Blazer are on a ring kept in the Blazer. No point in carrying them. Keys for our boat and its trailer are also kept on a separate ring.:D

I also buy the round paper tags with metal key-coils and use them to label spare keys for cars, etc. Otherwise I've found that I can't figure out what they go to.

P

Phaedra

Just a few

House key
Car key
Garage keys
Mailbox key
Office keycard
Desk key
Boyfriend's house key

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
I have 7 keys

3 keys for my house
2 Keys for my office (door & file)
1 car key
1 key for my file at home.

That's all on a round key hook with a tag that reads "29 and holding"

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
I use one of those double key rings that comes apart in the middle.
On it I have:
Side 1
Apartment key
Car key

Side 2
Mailbox key
Office key
Key to my parent's house
Key to the ambulance drug box compartment
Pocket CPR mask with gloves

So, 7 plus the mask. That CPR mask takes up more room than the rest of the keys, but it's the smallest one that I can also fit a set of gloves into. I've had to break out the gloves, and even the mask, on more than one occasion, so it's not really practical to get rid of it.

-Jake

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy