Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Many of us Write?

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
I write screenplays and stage plays. I guess you could say they are "Vintage Inspired." I actually start filming my latest the beginning of October. It is a short about a mob deal gone wrong. It should be a lot of fun.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Dutch McCoy said:
I write screenplays and stage plays. I guess you could say they are "Vintage Inspired." I actually start filming my latest the beginning of October. It is a short about a mob deal gone wrong. It should be a lot of fun.
Best of luck! Let us know where we can see it when it's done!

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Dutch McCoy said:

Very cool!! :eusa_clap and much luck to you and yes i would love to see it also!

i'm currently in the middle of a novel about two young brothers who lost their father in post-World War I Europe and live with their mother and grandmother in Hell's Kitchen...in order to get by they help their mother out by making ice runs with a friend and help him deliver...then they slowly get caught up with a small time mobster who uses them for special deliveries to various dives around town...have yet to finish it...includes prohibition...

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dutch McCoy said:

Would love to find out more. Do you have a website you can point us to? Even about the past stuff?

VB

Vintage Betty

Sam_Marlow_PI said:
i'm currently in the middle of a novel about two young brothers who lost their father in post-World War I Europe and live with their mother and grandmother in Hell's Kitchen...in order to get by they help their mother out by making ice runs with a friend and help him deliver...then they slowly get caught up with a small time mobster who uses them for special deliveries to various dives around town...have yet to finish it...includes prohibition...

This sounds very cool....

VB

Kishtu

Practically Family
I wonder if there is some link between "creativity" - not just writing but art in any form - and love of vintage.... whether love of vintage shows more imagination ;)

I used to write and illustrate a small-press horror/dark fantasy magazine. Before that I was an advertising copywriter.

I got tired with writing for money though.... there was never enough money in it!
But I was amazed to find myself on Amazon!

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
Wow, thank you very much for your interest. :)

Actually, no I do not have a website up, yet. Everyone keeps telling me to put stuff up but I keep resisting because I swear this "inter-webs" phenomenon is on its way out. Maybe it will be around a little longer. Yes, I will put the film up as soon as it is done. Probably sometime in mid to late November.

Kishtu

Practically Family
Dutch do you know anything about the issue of copyright on websites?

I don't you see, but my agent (ha ha ha I love saying that, my agent! when I had one!) warned me about doing this... something to do with if you post something on a website - even if it's your own website - once it's in the public domain you can't sell it to a publisher because you'd be in breach of copyright?

Apparently it's a total minefield because a lot of authors do self-publicise.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
Well, I should know quite a bit about it because I had to have several classes regarding copyrighting but, no, I do not. With this particular film, I am not too worried about it because this one is just for fun. In the future, however...

Kishtu

Practically Family
Well I got proper what-for because she found out that my first chapter had initially been a short story.

Which I might add had never been sold but had appeared as a showpiece on a magazine website.

Coo! It's still there, too!!!! :)

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Classic Style

I write for Classic Style Magazine.

My lastest article is on the trench coat in the current Fall Issue. I am very pleased with how it turned out. I hope you all have a chance to read it and the other fantastic articles.

Before that, I have been published in InSite Magazine and The Shopper's Guide.

I also had a column on The Fedora Chronicles.
:)

TraderRic

One of the Regulars
Just started

I just started writeng poetry as an outlet for PTSD. Since I started I have been sleeping better and my headaches have almost disappeared. Eventually, I would like to get them published and have my wife illustrate them. This is my first one written last week. I hope you enjoy it.

THE WIND

I come out of nowhere
and put my arms around you.
I can’t be seen,
but you can feel me and know that I’m true.

I have the power to move mountains
without you even realizing.
I erode all facades
and lay bare the underlying core of being.

I can be a welcome, gentle breeze
that refreshes and soothes.
Or a raging whirlwind
that can tear you limb from limb.

I have the power to electrify
and breathe life into your heart.
I can be dangerous
and tear your soul apart.

Can you feel me?
I’ve always been there.

I am the wind.

Big Man

I had an article published in this month's edition of "On the Trail Magazine" (and have been a contributor to them for the past several years).

Dutch McCoy

One of the Regulars
Dutch McCoy said:

Just to update...

I finished shooting last weekend and have been editing ever since. As soon as it is in a state of readiness, I will let you know. It will be roughly about 8 or 9 minutes. Nothing too flashy...

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
Hi! I'm Gary's wife, and I just self-published (on LuLu.com) a book on how to start investing. The way it happened is that about three years ago I got a call from a reader (I write for the Apartment Owner's Association) who said, basically, "I own apartments. Nobody who owns apartment buildings is poor, but a lot of us don't really know how we became rich. We just happened to be at the right place at the right time, I suppose. But we don't know how to teach our children or grandchildren how to do what we did. Could you write an article on how somebody could get started investing?" Well, one thing led into another and it turned into 18 monthly articles (google: Klarise Yahya). The artricles ended almost a year ago, and I'm still getting requests for the entire series, so I turned them into a short book ("Stairway to Wealth") that seems to be doing nicely. Anyway, please consider LuLu.com if you want to publish quickly. They were really nice to work with!

Cordially,
Klarise

Kevin Noel Olso

New in Town
I've written adventure pulp fiction for several magazines in several genres, including western/horror, pulp hero, noir, sci fi farce, and children's literature. Much of my material has a bent for appreciation of the past. My children's book, Eerey Tocsin in the Cryptoid Zoo, is about a young girl named Eerey who has a penchant for nearly anything antique. I've also ghost-written horror stories, but I can't say which.lol

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I love to write. I always say that writing is theater for the shy--I feel very much like a method actress when I write, trying to put myself in the character's shoes.

I belong to a couple of online writers communities where I can mess about anonymously. I've written both on my own and in partnership with people I've never met IRL--Google Docs is a godsend! I'm in the midst of writing a Steampunk story and polishing up a suspense novella right now.

Additionally, I've gotten research credit in a couple of published books and I provided editorial services for the author of a pretty major biography published last year--my acknowledgement in that book is probably my proudest acheivement thus far.

I'd love to work as an editor professionally but I fear my hideous grammar skills would hinder me in that pursuit.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Kishtu said:
Dutch do you know anything about the issue of copyright on websites?

I don't you see, but my agent (ha ha ha I love saying that, my agent! when I had one!) warned me about doing this... something to do with if you post something on a website - even if it's your own website - once it's in the public domain you can't sell it to a publisher because you'd be in breach of copyright?

Apparently it's a total minefield because a lot of authors do self-publicise.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Once submitted to a website, an article is legally considered published.
What respective copyright issues may be depend to some extent on the
individual site and stated policy on submission claim. As a rule, it is best
not to send anything to the web that you might wish to submit elsewhere
without a specific written contract.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy