Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Much Jewelry Do You Wear?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I had heard that before - if rings rub together that are different metals they can ruin the rings so you have to keep them all the same. Great that your ring could be repaired - it sounds beautiful.

Thank you, I love it. Luckily the jeweler told me before we bought our wedding bands, and told me what the engagement ring was so I could match the metal. She said that this was the only explanation for the amount of damage- as it was not just due to normal wear/age.

When I say it was damaged, the filigree on the sides had caved in and some was missing, the back band was very thin, and all the artistry on the side of the ring had worn off. This was probably from the rubbing. All that was left was the stones and the setting on the top. The jeweler, Mickey Roof, did a beautiful job on it. She is really a skilled artisan. She put a stabilizer piece on the ring (below the stones), and then pulled out and reconstructed the filigree that couldn't be saved or was missing. She added a new band to the back. She also added detail to the top of the ring. And she did all that for $500 (granted this was a while ago). I can't recommend her enough for repairs. Her work is flawless- the ring looks like it was just minted.

All the previous jewelers wanted to sell me a new setting to put the stones in, but I didn't really care about the stones- I wanted the setting! :D

Last edited:

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
sheeplady, your engagement ring does sound beautiful! I'd love to see a photo! I always wanted Art Deco rings for my engagement ring and wedding band but somehow I ended up with both being modern! I do love the ones I have though, so not complaining or anything!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I suppose I'm pretty boring in the jewelry department [huh]

--------crashes Powder Room:)
I always need to explain my silver team ring from the Army that features a gold Orthodox Cross atop a black enamel oval around which the stars of Orion are circled in yellow and blue diamonds, with side carved Trojan horse heads facing north/south. :hand:

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Every day - wedding ring (which most people assume is an engagement ring - pale blue sapphire solitaire), watch. Most days earrings. More often than not some form of bracelet, necklace or brooch, sometimes a couple of other rings.

IMG_1573_mini.jpg

Last edited:

jasmynskyes

Familiar Face
For everyday (work) I wear, on my left hand, a silver and moonstone engagement ring, silver watch, silver medical alert bracelet and a leather nameplate bracelet with a woven band. On my right hand I usually wear one big ring or small rings and the occasional bracelet. I have 3 holes in my ears and a cartilage peircing but only wear small-medium silver hoops or a pair of seven sided hoops that are medium sized. That is pretty much my work week jewelry uniform.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The only thing I wear everyday is my grandmother's pearl engagement ring on my right hand. Everything else is negotiable, though I often wear earrings: small white gold diamond hoops in my first hole and small diamond studs in my second hole. Fancy jewelry courtesy of my parents: we have a jeweler in the family.

Also, pics? I'm at work or I would post some.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Pictures are a good idea! Just of everyday jewelry, though, or this thread will duplicate others.

Here is my little charm bracelet. These are three of my favourite things in the world: teddy bears, cupcakes, and martinis. (What a glutton I am, two of those are food lol)

Bracelet.jpg

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That depends from many things: what day is it, am I going out, I am doing manual labor..
If it's just a Tuesday, I'd be wearing a watch on my left hand, and a ring on the index finger of my right hand.
If it's "working hard" day, I would not wear any.
..and if it's Saturday.. Oh, boy! :) I have choices (depending on what I'm wearing, or who am I going with):
1. Furry earing on the left ear, small, ball earing on the right ear, and a small necklace
2. Pearl earing and pearl bracelet
3. Stud earrings, HUGE necklace and ridiculous fingers-cut-off gloves..

..to put it simple: I'm open to variations when it comes to jewels. lol

But, on a regular day.. Fossil watch my parents gave me when I graduated from university (http://www.fossil.com/en_US/shop/wo...c0|0||p_weight|0&pn=c&rec=34&imagePath=AM4141)
..and a ring.
(maybe earrings, but small ones, buds or something like that)

NEVER would I wear PLASTIC!!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I feel completely naked without earrings and wear them every day. Have done since I got my ears pierced when I was six.

Only other thing is my Great Grandmother's wedding ring on my little finger of my Right hand. My Nana gave it to me and I've worn that everyday for nearly twenty years. I almost feel bereft without it! It really bothers me if I have to take it off for any reason.

Whilst I like jewellery from an aesthetic point of view, I'm not very comfortable wearing it, especially bracelets/bangles. I do have costume jewellery but I tend to pare it down and not wear too much at the same time, so it's earrings and bracelet or earrings and necklace or earrings and brooch. I just realised I don't have any rings apart from my G. Grandmas, probably because I have really crooked fingers and I don't like to draw attention to them.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
..I wanted one with a FROG, but I can't find it.. :(

One exists somewhere. I've seen them at BitterSweet (the place mine is from, except the cupcake) and Thomas Sabo, but one is Torontonian and the other is Canadian/European :( If I find one in the States, I'll be sure to let you know.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Yeah, well.. there's the catch.. I'm NOT in States.. :(
(I'm thinking of ordering one to be made for me.. from silver. I know a man that makes those things..)

Ahh. Well, American companies usually ship everywhere anyway :) That would be so great if you had one made for you, cause then its truly you're own!

olive bleu

One Too Many
On a daily basis, i wear my wedding band and engagement ring. After 20years and 40 lbs, couldn't get them off if i tried..LOL. usually for work everyday, i wear just 1 or 2 pieces extra.that's my rule of thumb. Like today i am wearing a chunky beaded necklace and a silver charm bracelet. If theres something going on at work that i need to present a more professional image, i'll wear my string of pearls and pearl earrings.But for nights out or particularly special occasions( like Christmas or new years) I like to go all out and the more dazzling the better! :)

HepKitty

One Too Many
one pair of earrings, the same pair I've worn for 16 years now. yes, 16 years. one broke a few years ago and I about died, but fortunately they're silver and I had it fixed. otherwise I don't wear jewelry much, only when belly dancing. then I wear as much as I have which is really annoying when you're not used to it. but I don't dance much anymore so it's no big

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I've had pierced ears since I was sixteen (one per ear only- yeah I'm a traditionalist)- so I always wear earrings. I have a few 'special' more expensive pairs that I've chosen or received, then I have lots of costume earrings, some I've made.

I'm left handed so my watch goes on my right hand, as does usually a bracelet. I have a few nice bracelets that I wear with certain colored clothing, that have a matching earrings and necklace set.

These are my favourite go-to pieces (coordinating earrings, necklace, bracelet); a clear crystal set, a pearls and ruby (fine jewelry) set, a costume pearls set, a costume red jeweled set, a cameo set (also fine jewelry), and a multi-color crystals and beads costume set that I made.

Other unmatched necklaces and earrings are typically tied to an certain outfit, or I'll wear a 14k gold chain that I have a little diamond hanging from it that was from a relative's ring that I had reset that was given to me many years ago. I wear the gold chain with diamond usually when I'm in casual clothes like a v-neck Gap shirt.

When I was married the only rings I usually wore was a wedding set. Nowadays, I've gotten myself a couple of nice rings this Spring that I wear every day; an emerald cut ruby with a tiny diamond on each side set in 14K that I wear on the middle finger of my left hand, and a crystal flower set in gold tone costume ring from Swarovski that is on the ring finger of my right hand. When my mother died in 2004, I inherited one of her HS class rings (she had two), the school letter in the center is my middle initial. When I occasionally wear it, it goes on the pinky finger of my right hand but I don't wear it with the flower ring at the same time.

Last edited:

Lily Powers

Practically Family
My "feel naked without" jewelry is a bracelet. Usually bakelite, or vintage rhinestone, but also some modern, artsy pieces that have caught my fancy (thanks to my boyfriend for his thoughtfulness in finding Alexis Bittar lucite bangles something he thought I'd like). Earrings are pretty much every day, too. Rings though, I can only wear them once in awhile for a couple of weeks at a time, then they bother me (don't know why).

And dress clips! I have a decent collection of rhinestone and bakelite dress clips, about 40, and I love and wear them all - on sweaters, or a bakelite cliip with lighter weight summery dresses, or a rhinestone dress clip on the side of my beret in the fall. I just adore dress clips.

Amy

New in Town
I wear my engagement ring every day, and am now collecting cocktail rings with square stones to go with, but i will usually restrain myself to one on my right hand. I always wear earrings of some sort, small pearl studs if casual or if my hair is down on a workday (rarely!), and drops or long earrings when hair is up. I love alot of sparkle when I dress up, but I try to keep to a theme of white/clear stones and silver to avoid looking silly. I own a silly amount of 'junk jewellery' from charity shops and the like (clear plastic storage boxes are my jewellery box!), which I co-ordinate with my outfit each morning.

I try to keep it simple, -I like Coco Chanel's rule of getting dressed and taking one part of the outfit off, to avoid looking too 'done'. This is usually a piece of jewellery, but sometimes it's a scarf or hat. I envy girls who can wear alot of jewellery at once, -I can never seem to pull it off in the same effortlessly chic way!

Last edited:

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
Everyday I wear three bracelets on my right hand (one is Amber, one is Labradorite, and the last are some glass beads that are rainbow in color and have "eyes" on them). On my left (which is weird because I am left-handed--I'm a bit eccentric), I wear my watch. If I go out of the house without any of those, I am a mess! lol!

Usually I do wear a necklace (although on some rare occassions like today I am not). Sometimes I wear ones that I find in vintage shops or I wear ones that I have made. Especially since I make jewelry, the options are endless (and so is the bead collection!).

I rarely wear a ring and I do not wear earrings unless they are clip ons. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana