Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much rain can an Akubra take?

Lonny

One of the Regulars
Where can I find an Akubra?
Any links, guys?

If I decide not to buy one online, and place an order with my hatter, what should I ask for specifically?
Type of felt, the correct and complete name of this wonderful hat, and how many variations are there?

Thanks guys. :)

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Lonny said:
Where can I find an Akubra?
Any links, guys?

If I decide not to buy one online, and place an order with my hatter, what should I ask for specifically?
Type of felt, the correct and complete name of this wonderful hat, and how many variations are there?

Thanks guys. :)

If you're looking for the same hat, the Federation, it is only available through hatsdirect.com. It's currently the 4th incarnation of the hat, thus, The Federation IV. The Fed IV is based on a vintage Akubra block which was chosen because of its similarity to the hat from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal skull. Beyond being a good "Indy hat," the Fed IV is a great example of a pre-war, straight sided fedora.

It comes as the standard or the deluxe. The deluxe uses Akubra's Heritage Grade felt, which as I understand it, mixes in wild hare fur into the mix to make it even more durable, you'll also get a nicer sweatband than the standard. I believe it's also pounced to a finer finish.

Which is not to say the standard is a subpar hat. I have a Fed IV Standard in Carbon Grey and it's a great hat.

Spats McGee

One Too Many
Where to find an Akubra:

Everything Australian: http://www.everythingaustralian.com.au/

Hats Direct: http://www.hatsdirect.com/

David Morgan: http://www.davidmorgan.com/index.php

Noggintops: http://www.noggintops.com/

As to what you should request if you order a custom: . . . Take a look through some of the threads around here and see whatcha like. I believe that the opening post was about a Federation IV, which is an exclusive item for Hats Direct. They come in Standard and Deluxe. I leave the particular differences to those who know more about them than I.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey Lonny, welcome to the Lounge, though I'm also as green as they come.

My first hat...EVER...was the Akubra in question. I managed to bash the hat into a fine teardrop, though later I discovered that it was a bit too low. However, due to such a defined and sharp and tight bash, the hat literally popped right back into that bash, no matter what else I tried. It also doesn't help that my noggin is tall enough that only bashes that permit a dome (or at least really tall) will fit on my head securely. The current shape of the hat, if its resiliency proves itself, means that I get another chance.

Anyway, I encourage you to delve into the Akubras...from what I understand from the Loungers, they are one of the best modern production hats under $200+. I love my hat, and I'm sure that Akubra has something for you (sorry, I'm trying not to be a fanboy and failing).

Anyway, I myself ordered a hat from HatsDirect (since the Fed is made exclusively for them). Federation 4, size 60, plus EMS courier shipping cost me about $132 and got to my house in 4 days, well before I expected it to (I was on vacation, so I had to wait an agonizing 4 days after it arrived to actually get it in my hands :rolleyes: ). Great deal, great product, great customer service.

Mav

A-List Customer
Screw it; it's a hat. My CD is the nicest hat I own, and I babied it for about the first month I had it. Then it rained, then one of my idiot friends sat on it.
It's not quite as "crisp" as it was when I first got it, but these things are built for abuse. Beat the hell out of it, and stop worrying. Akubras dig that.

Neophyte

I hope you're right about that. I'm pretty sure that the hat would withstand a well aimed shot from my compound bow.......but the issue here is not the durability of the hat, but rather its ability to maintain its shape after absorbing that much life-liquid. After all, what good is a durable hat if it looks like a ridiculously tall dome on your head (albeit that might look good on some, it DEFINITELY doesn't on me). Besides, this is supposed to be my "dress" hat, while a soon-to-be-purchased Campdraft and Capricorn would be my casual...

It's been about 26 hours since the incident...the hat feels dry and has shaped well to my head, but has not regained enough stiffness in the felt to shape it.

Let's wait and see what happens......I'll continue to keep you all posted. This may prove to be an interesting experiment if nothing else.

By the way, very nice hat and suit in your avatar pic...

Well...it's late here in Tennessee. Good night everybody, and thank you for your time.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
My Federation IV, worn for over half a year now, has been in a number of rains, some light, some heavy. It's also been creased multiple times.

This is what it looked like when I creased it right on Christmas Day:

dsc00026dd.jpg

Supposed to be Raiders of the Lost Ark style. Now here's what it looks like today:

dsc00007vn.jpg

Here's a (brighter) view of the side taper:

dsc00008pm.jpg

If you're wondering, the hat's a bit dusty because it's been in the desert and Sierra Nevada mountains the past few days.

My point is, your hat's likely going to turn out fine, although I can tell you that I have not yet been able to return to the original crease that I had in all it's perfection. At this point, it's a little too tapered for it to work. I suppose a reblocking might be the solution to this. I think it's also worth noting that my hat is quite floppy by now, with the felt being soft, so maybe my stiffener's done. But your Federation will probably do just fine after drying off, at least it should because it's pretty new. Even so, it can't be all that bad, I would hope.

Good choice on a first fedora though!

fenris

One of the Regulars
My Fed IV Deluxe was drenched in the rain yesterday. I had to walk 4 blocks in heavy rain to get to the car. I was worried about it getting soaked through the felt, but fortunately the underside of the brim (and most probably the inside of the crown) didn't get wet.

While walking, the water trickled down to the front of the brim... I was very worried that time - since I cannot walk any faster for fear that I might slip and fall if I run.

The hat is dry now and still looks fine.

Neophyte

Your case seems similar to mine, in that a slight taper has developed, and the original crease doesn't seem possible anymore. I've bashed a more basic oval-porkpie/teardrop-thing into the top of the crown, and it's holding...however, the sides are still too soft and pliable to hold anything but the most shallow, almost unnoticeable bash. It's been about 35 hours since the incident, so I can definitely say that we have made some progress:D . I'll continue to keep this thread updated every few hours/days or so

Tone

A-List Customer
Well, let's watch it in real time. How 'bout some, "while it's drying; current condition; and then miraculous, 'Look how terrifically it sprang back! GO FED!'" - shots?

Neophyte

:D Yeah, I should've set up a timelapse camera for two days straight, just watching the hat. I guess that watching fur felt dry is a hell of a lot more interesting than watching paint dry.

I do have before and after pics, but unfortunately they are on my smartphone, which makes it extremely hard to figure out using this website's tools to post pics...I'll figure it out soon with my flickr or photobucket...

Havana

One of the Regulars
I have an Akubra that has been rained on more times than I can count and literally submerged twice. It's no worse for it except maybe a little softer. I think the key to reclaiming a wet hat is to let it dry slowly in the open air. After it's 100% dry, you should be able to reshape it with some steam. It probably won't hold the crease if you don't use steam.

Neophyte

Here's the Fed and my first bash ever...pre-rainstorm.

FedoraStyleAlex.jpg

Federationfront.jpg

Fedoradiamondtop.jpg

awesomealex.jpg

Here it is...with the best bash I can get in there after 35 hours of drying.

NewFedAfterRainstormSideShot.jpg

NewFedAfterRainstormTopShot.jpg

NewFedAfterRainstormUnbashed.jpg

NewFedAfterRainstormBashed.jpg

Tone

A-List Customer
It doesn't look all that much different from the initial crease. I'm guessing when you discuss the "taper", you are referring to taper from the sides? With that type of top dent I can't imagine it was much straighter at the back than it is now. The teardrop-type crease draws in the back like that even on most new hats styled that way.

So the front won't hold the pinches with any definition at the moment?

Quick question: Did you use steam to shape it initially when you styled it the first time? I'm guessing yes.

Neophyte

It looks phenomenally different from the original crease. The diamond shape of the perimeter of the crown, at first, ensured no taped front/back/side to side. The teardrop thing in the middle was for my tall, tall head. The reason it is like it is now is that even the top crease right now isn't stiff enough for me to bring down the edge without the dome in the middle popping up. If it becomes stiffer, I may be able to salvage the bash and return it to its former shape. As for the sides......no, they cannot hold a definite shape that well......even the slightest tap from inside the hat will pop the bash right back out.

Neophyte

Not at all. I use my own hands, a little rainstorm, and about 2.347 seconds of shower water, set to just a smidge over lukewarm. Did this once to set the shape, once or twice more to refine some smaller details. I first used steam yesterday when some of the Loungers suggested that the application of steam might encourage the stiffener to "get back to work."

AlterEgo

A-List Customer
Neophyte,

I'm late to the game here, but I agree with all the sound advice you've received so far.

I have a slew of Akubras in all the felts it offers, starting with a Superfine grade Aussie Military Slouch I got when I was only a kid.

Akubras are made to withstand the elements, and the FIRST thing I do when I get a new one is to wear it on a long, brisk walk in a driving rain. I find this standard operating procedure not only allows me to shape the hat as I please, but also accelerates the break-in period to give the felt the hand I desire.

Since my Fed IV is a Deluxe in the Heritage grade of felt, and yours is the standard Imperial grade, it's a case of comparing apples to oranges, but I've intentionally rain-soaked mine numerous times just to try out different bashes. With each new crease, it's like getting a whole new hat!

In that vein, I would not characterize your initial front vertical crease between the side dents as tight at all. I made mine razor sharp at first but was able to work it completely out to about like yours while wet with rainwater with my hands. Like yours, it currently wears a pinch-front telescope with a fairly deep "moat" and tall "dome" to take out much of the crown height, with the crown sloping from front to rear. I think that bash in this hat looks great on you.

I have several other Akubra styles in the Imperial grade of felt which have not only survived but thrived after deluges like your Fed went through. Yes, this grade of felt is less dense, so, over time, the crown will develop a bit more taper than when new, but it is seldom to a degree that changes the whole look of the hat. Frankly, I cannot detect any taper in your "after-rain" pics.

The soft feel of your post-monsoon Fed is what most of us hat nuts want, and I'd speculate that the rain was so intense that it simply rinsed virtually all the hat stiffener out of it. Personally, I'd consider that a good thing, but it seems your main concern is that, as a result, the crown will no longer hold the front pinch like it would before.

That's puzzling, for I've never had that problem with any of my open-crown Imperial grade Akubras even after exposure to many, many hard rains.

I think that patience is the key. You've continued to juke with the hat rather than just leave it alone. At this juncture, here's what I'd suggest:

Start all over by wearing the hat out into another rain until it's drenched. Sling the water out of it until it will no longer drip, punch the crown out to the fully open state, flatten the brim, then hang it carefully on a blunt knob by the rear sweat to that the hat dangles freely.

Depending on the relative humidity, it will probably take a day, maybe as much as two or three days before the hat is about 3/4 dry--still obviously moist to the touch but not wet enough to leave any visible water on your fingers when you press the felt. At this point, shape the crown and brim to your liking, hang it back on the knob, and leave it be until fully dry--another day or so.

If this does not work, send the hat off to have it reblocked at a reputable hattery. I can vouch for fellow Tennessean Mike Moore in Covington, TN. http://www.buckaroohatters.com/ that he does a great job at reasonable prices and turnaround times.

For a newbie, you already have gained decent knowledge about hats, and by hanging out here, you will only become ever more hat-smart. The Fed IV is an excellent first fur felt hat, but--warning--it's an addicting avocation, and I see you are already planning your next purchases. I like your angle with your mom. Work it.

Tone

A-List Customer
Yeah, you'll probably have to get it reblocked to get it back to what you wanted initially. Good advice on things to try though.

Alter Ego, for all that expert advice and all those hats you own I don't believe any of us have ever seen a shot of you in any hat at all. How do these look on you? Can we see a shot of you in one of those heritage felt FED IVs that have held up so well in the rain?

Neophyte

I'm liking this thread, not just because of all the excellent advice, pics, suggestions, and anecdotes..........this thread is teaching me a lot, that's probably the key thing.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll try wetting it again. It's completely dry to the touch now, so I think you're right about the stiffener washing out...or whatever happens to stiffener in a deluge.

Anyway, I'm sure this hat will come back. I just want it back in that pinch I had it in because the pinch "crease" still shows even though the front is flat at the moment...it just woud look wierd with a wider, looser bash...at least to me. If all else fails, I thank those that recommended Buckaroo Hatters.

I'll keep at it, and keep updating on this thread...it would be interesting to me to have something to come back to, to watch and read about the progress, as a learning experience and as documentation of the "project." I think I'm starting to ramble now---never could learn when to stop---so I'll leave with this: Thank you, fellow Loungers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters