Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much would you pay for a vintage necktie?

How much would you pay for a vintage necktie?

• Total voters

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Over the years, we've seen some nifty neckwear on the necktie thread, including some rare specimens that have caused, I'm sure, many of us a chance to drool a bit. Yet what I'm wondering is, how much are you willing to fork out for a necktie, and not one that you might purchase in order to re-sell for a profit, but rather one that you simply want for your connection? Let's separate the men from the boys here!:D

Note: Non-USA Loungers, simply convert your currency to USA$.

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Over the years, we've seen some nifty neckwear on the necktie thread, including some rare specimens that have caused, I'm sure, many of us a chance to drool a bit. Yet what I'm wondering is, how much are you willing to fork out for a necktie; not one that you might purchase in order to re-sell for a profit, but rather one that you simply want for your collection? Let's separate the men from the boys here!:D

Note: Non-USA Loungers, simply just convert your currency to US$.

Last edited:

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Part of the fun of wearing vintage ties, to me, is buying them so cheap. I'll look at the bland $10 neckties in Wal-Mart and know that I own some real works of art I purchased for a dollar or less. I'll see some very nice vintage ones in antique shops, but, no matter how much I may drool over them, I am not going to spend over $10 for one. I'm spoiled by thrift store and yard sale prices.

Edward

Bartender
Yes, about ten English pounds is my ceiling usually. Prices seem to be rising on eBay, though. I have seen one seller which has some beautiful Forties ties, all prices at in and around GBP25, which seems a touch steep to me.

Qirrel

Practically Family
I wont buy vintage ties for more than $3, unless its something really exceptional. And it needs to be in pristine condition; I cant be asked to go through the hassle of washing/repairing old ties. The local thrift store has a bucket full of ties that regularly gets refilled, at the neat price of $1.5 per tie. (Quite a find, compared to what other Norwegian thrift stores charge for ties (~$10).)

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I've paid £10 for a really nice tie, but that's the highest. I've been tempted by some £14 ties on eBay, but haven't gotten any at that price yet.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I've paid as much as fifty dollars for a vintage tie once or twice, but twenty dollars usually is my limit. Thrift stores here in NYC don't seem to have any decent vintage ties (or many decent vintage clothes, for that matter). I suspect the folks who sort through the clothes before they're put out for sale are too savvy and put the valuable vintage stuff aside.

anon`

One Too Many
$12-$18 seems to be the going rate for the average vintage (that is, say, 1930-1960) around here. Accordingly, that's what I usualyl pay. Sometimes I'll get lucky and find sub-$10 ties, and will buy the occasional defective tie if the pattern is right. (I rarely wear two-piece single breasted suits, so damage towards the end of the wide blade isn't usually a deal-breaker.)

That said, I'd consider paying significantly more for some ties, such as those that Art is so fond of! ;)

$12-$18 seems to be the going rate for the average vintage (that is, say, 1930-1960) around here. Accordingly, that's what I usualyl pay. Sometimes I'll get lucky and find sub-$10 ties, and will buy the occasional defective tie if the pattern is right. (I rarely wear two-piece single breasted suits, so damage towards the end of the wide blade isn't usually a deal-breaker.)

That said, I'd consider paying significantly more for some ties, such as those that Art is so fond of! ;)

I have paid much more for ties that Art is so fond of. ;):p

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Part of the fun of wearing vintage ties, to me, is buying them so cheap. I'll look at the bland $10 neckties in Wal-Mart and know that I own some real works of art I purchased for a dollar or less. I'll see some very nice vintage ones in antique shops, but, no matter how much I may drool over them, I am not going to spend over $10 for one. I'm spoiled by thrift store and yard sale prices.

Totally agree.

Edward

Bartender
I've paid £10 for a really nice tie, but that's the highest. I've been tempted by some £14 ties on eBay, but haven't gotten any at that price yet.

The killer I find is the postage.... adding that on top of the price some of those ties go for can tip the balance into making them just a bit much, IMO. [huh]

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
$20-$30. I have paid $40 before. There basically is nowhere near here that I am aware of where anything vintage is available. If I want something, online is the only option. ;-)

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
I'm in the 'el-cheapo' camp. Not only is it a kickinthepants to pay only 25 cents to $1 for a great '40s/'50s tie, but I also prefer the in-person treasure hunt aspect to the order-from-Ebay approach. Just more satisfying all-around.

My preferences aside, I think the $15-$20 range is fair for most good bold look vintage neck ties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy