Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you dry clean?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I've done a fair amount of on-line research, and the results range from the vague ("don't dry clean too frequently, the chemicals can damage the fabric and underlying components of the suit") to the overly specific ("dry clean once every INSERT PERIOD HERE if you wear the suit INSERT FREQUENCY HERE").

It also seems to be a very personal care consideration given some of the comments.

Personally, in the summer in southern Ontario, it is necessary to clean the trousers with a certain frequency, given the humid heat, length of time sitting (unlike the jacket, the trousers stay on for the duration!). The jacket can forgo cleaning with as much frequency, IF it is removed at appropriate times (I'm sure there's a thread on THAT subject here somewhere).

At the end of the day - "a chacun son gout"!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MrBern said:
Isnt there a risk of the pants fading unmatched to the jacket if they are not washed the same number of times?

Definitely. Same holds true with dry cleaning. It's also just in case another item in the same load runs or bleeds, both pieces are miscolored the same, so they'll match.

With washable items, if you're worried about wear & abrasion in the washer, just let the items soak over night with minimal agitating. Ditto the rinse - soak and then a little agitation. Then drip-dry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot