Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you "set" your hair?

jessicarabbit

New in Town
how about klorane dry shampoo? I think bumble and bumble also do one. I just used talcum powder when I had blonde hair but now that I'm brunette it's harder.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Very rarely...

for special, special occasions like 1x a year or so... but I spray water in it and it waves.
you are all very strong and brave!
I wish I had the arm strength and patience for true pincurls, but not yet. I always want my wave to be just about 20% tighter than it naturally is, and in the same places... so pincurls would do it.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
LelaViavonie said:
Honey Doll...
I do love the steam curlers! I have a whole set.. only problem is.. i am always burning myself with them.,. LOL

What type of dry shampoo do u use?

Anyone have a good brand they would recommend?

Lela-- I use the Salon Grafix spray. They formulate it for Blondes or Brunettes. I pick it up at my local Rite Aid. Works well. The spray is nice since it leaves a fine, even distribution.

Honey Doll

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
I do a sponge roller set every other day and I wash my hair every other day too. Some ladies set their hair only once a week but my hair doesn't want to hold the curls although it is wavy.:(

gingermore

Familiar Face
Honey Doll and LelaViavonie, the steam curlers sound good. Maybe I should try those if they're not damaging. If anybody is interested in discussing them there is a dedicated thread here. I'd love to hear about people's experiences with them.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Apparently, I need to set every night. Because my darned old hair will not hold a set for the life of it. :rage:

However, I usually only set my hair maybe two or three times a week. Pincurls as I have yet to try rag curlers and don't own a decent set of rollers.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
Do you use setting lotion?
Yes. I tried using equal parts Lottabody and water, then switched to 70/30, then added mousse to the mix and now I'm at some odd mousse gel lotion concoction.
And my set still won't last through to the next day.

I'm thinking rubber cement next.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Odalisque said:
Yes. I tried using equal parts Lottabody and water, then switched to 70/30, then added mousse to the mix and now I'm at some odd mousse gel lotion concoction.
And my set still won't last through to the next day.

Try 100% Lottabody. Many gals here have never had any luck diluting it. Also, have you tried to pin up and wrap your hair before going to bed?

Odalisque

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
Try 100% Lottabody. Many gals here have never had any luck diluting it. Also, have you tried to pin up and wrap your hair before going to bed?

Yes, I usually do a wet set in the afternoon, then scarf it and sleep. So, by the time i actually take them out the next day, they've been in at least 12 hours.
I just think my hair is really really resistant.

I'll try the undiluted lotion, though. Thanks for the tip:)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Odalisque said:
Yes, I usually do a wet set in the afternoon, then scarf it and sleep. So, by the time i actually take them out the next day, they've been in at least 12 hours.

No, I meant at the end of the day, repinning your curls (which you set the night before) and then wrapping it before you go to sleep.

Also, try doing a dry set on dirty hair. If I do any type of set, wet or dry, on freshly washed hair, I won't even get an hour out of my set.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Kitty T.. thats a great idea.. I also have a problem with my curls not staying in more than one day.

So I have started re-curling my hair every night and the next morning... whaaala... Curlz that stay all day long..
I do find that dirty hair hold the curl better :)

Adele

One of the Regulars
I usually set my hair once or maybe twice a week - though I do put the curlers back on every night. I don't think they would last me as long, otherwise.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
Odalisque said:
I just think my hair is really really resistant.

I had to laugh the other night, I'd pinned my curls, and I was scarfing them up for the night, and had cold cream all over my face.

In an era now, where most people just go to bed hair tied back, out or whatever, I had to laugh at what a sight us ladies with our cold cream and scarfs! I love it!

The only time I dont is when I am exhausted and cold creaming and pinning seems like another hour out of bed away!

olive bleu

One Too Many
Twice this week i saw a woman on the bus with her hair set in pincurls.And i mean with the pins still in.I think she was actually wearing this as a hairstyle, and not just a case of "i just ducked out to the store for a gallon of milk in my curlers",as she was wearing a suit and carrying a briefcase., and it was the end of the day. She was wearing some pretty nice cat-eye glasses though.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
LelaViavonie said:
So I have started re-curling my hair every night and the next morning... whaaala... Curlz that stay all day long..

Yeah, I mean, no set is going to hold through a night of friction with your pillowcase and tossing and turning. Even just tying a scarf around your hair before you go to bed will help keep a lot of the curl in.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I tend to set mine once or twice a week, recurling at night in between adding a spritz of water, and on the days the set really doesn't take at least the hair is a little stiffer for styling. my hair is so baby soft it won't go into rolls unless its been set beforehand. ugh.

I usually only wash mine once a week, sometimes twice if its really gross; and after the wash my damp hair goes into a wet set.

I also sleep on a silk pillowcase with a hairnet over my set each night. The silk pillowcase stops friction (and stops pillow face in the morning) and stops hair breaking. The best £10 I ever spent.

LelaViavonie

Practically Family
Smuterella said:
I also sleep on a silk pillowcase with a hairnet over my set each night. The silk pillowcase stops friction (and stops pillow face in the morning) and stops hair breaking. The best £10 I ever spent.

Tell me about it! I bought a silk pillow case at Sally's and it was the best 8$ I have ever spent!
I do the same as u and WOW what a difference!

When I had a regular pillow case I always had the major case of the frizzies .. like cousin it in the morning... lol lol

I love my satin pillow case :rolleyes: :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy