Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you wash your hair? (guys & gals)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
KittyT said:
I have to wash my hair after every strenuous workout.
Ditto. Between running, cycling, skating and swimming in chlorinated pools or the ocean; whaddya gonna do.[huh]

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
I have shoulder length hair (quite fine but have alot!) and I wash and set my hair every friday night! Sometimes I do leave it in for longer if the set still looks ok..:eek:

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
I have afro-carribean hair which is relaxed to make it straight. I wash it about once a week or sometimes twice a week because I hate the way my hair feels when I've had to set it a few times a week and there's a build-up of hair products.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss Tuppence said:
I have shoulder length hair (quite fine but have alot!) and I wash and set my hair every friday night! Sometimes I do leave it in for longer if the set still looks ok..:eek:

Gosh, I wish I could get a set to even last for more than a day.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I have to wash my hair after work-outs, too. I can't stand the thought of not doing it when I get so sweaty.

I just discovered, however, that using conditioner on my hair is not a good idea. I used to use it every time I washed my hair because my hair has a bit of natural curl that makes it frizz and dry out. But when I quit using a conditioner on it a few weeks ago, my hair is noticeably smoother and softer. That was a big surprise to me. I'll probably condition once a week now, if that.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Once a week for me -- but I don't wear it down every day, either. Whenever I'm working in the projection booth I have it up and in pincurls under a head rag -- long hair getting caught in sprockets running at 90 feet per second could be deadly -- and I also keep it up, pinned and covered when it's rainy, hot or humid. So it doesn't get as much exposure to the elements as it might otherwise, and it's not hard to go a week without washing.

A good substitute for modern shampoo, if you're a once-a-weeker, is Kirk's Castile bar soap. Not too harsh, and very economical.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
KittyT said:
I have to wash my hair after every strenuous workout. This can be 2-5 days a week, depending. There is no way I can have my hair stuck under a smelly, sweaty derby helmet for 2 hours and not wash it afterwards.

Same here. After a night of dancing, my hair is a sweaty mess. Between sweat and hair gel, it could get up and dance on its own.

I understand that different people have different levels of oiliness in their hair, but old sweat is another story.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
twice a week

I go about 3 to four day but if I was working out more (which I need to get back into grr...) I would probably do it a bit more. But reading some of the post on this forum has made me interested in some of the no poo ideas.

Paisley my husband is a barber and in the summer he could tell you all about guys that smell like when dogs and such. Guys please don't go to your barber all sweaty and nasty thinking your will want to shower off the hair later so why shower now cause that poor barber really doesn't want to touch a sweaty guy. Same goes for being sick if you take the day off stay home don't spread it around by going in for a hair cut just cause you now have the free time. Sorry I just hear all about it at home so thought I would mention.

Edward

Bartender
KittyT said:
My boyfriend uses Murray's and washes his hair every morning. He swears that with pomade in it, once he's slept on it, it's impossible to style unless he has a clean slate. I keep trying to convince him otherwise, because I'm sure the constant washing isn't doing much to help prevent his hair loss.

I do wonder, sometimes..... From I was 17 I had no choice but to wash my hair every day (otherwise you could have fried an egg on it...), and I did start to thin in my mid-late twenties....

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I have to wash my hair every 2nd or 3rd day. I have a skin condition that requires medicated shampoo and my scalp will crack and bleed if I don't use it often enough.

Hercule

Practically Family
I think we need to discern between washing and rinsing. As I initially said I only use soap in my hair once a week but I rinse my hair every day. I've found that rinsing doesn't get rid of the natural oils like washing does.

h

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Every other day, sometimes more, sometimes less. I rinse everyday (except sometimes on days I know for certain I'm not going to sally forth from the house), and use Brylcreem every day.

Inky

One Too Many
I typically wash my hair once a week. I work from home so I do not style it during the week and usually wash it on Thursday so I can set it on Friday. So don't ask me out for Thursday night, I'm staying home to wash my hair ;)

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I wash my hair every day as it's so fine and straight - I couldn't let it go for two days. I'm getting an upstyle done for a wedding tomorrow and I have to wash it tonight so the style will hold better - it's going to kill me to not wash it first thing tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MarieAnne

Practically Family
I CO wash every 2-3 days. More often when it's necessary - hot and humid weather, product overload or a good workout.

lframe

One of the Regulars
I wash my hair every 2-3 days. Sometimes 4. However, I rinse on the in-between days, apply product, dry and go. Sometimes I condition the ends, sometimes not.

velvetongue

Familiar Face
I have very thick, wavy hair too, and it takes forever to dry. I wash my hair once a week using a sulfate-free shampoo. During the week, every two or three days I set it with Lottabody mixed with waterand rollers, sleeping in curlers overnight. The days in between I just tie it up in a high ponytail and hopefully I don't manage to squish the curls flat when sleeping. I try not to use too much hair products in between, and I don't use anything with silicone in it. When I have to go to the dojo (3x a week), I tie it back. That's worked out pretty well for me so far.

Belle Fatale

New in Town
I wash my hair daily. Twice sometimes in the summer. In the winter or fall I might go a day between washing it, but the rest of the year it gets sweaty even on days I don't go to the gym, and I can't stand it. Now that I've grown out the damage from dying it too often, my hair doesn't seem to mind daily washing.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I shampoo my hair once a week maybe even less, it is sort of when my hair feels like it needs it or I can't for the life of me remember when the last time I put shampoo in my hair then I shampoo it. But I put conditioner and very heavy conditioner at that in my hair ever day and usually leave some in from the nape of my neck down. My hair is curly and thicker than anyone else's I can think of. To be honest I can't think of one time I have ever had oily hair. I know it sounds gross but it just doesn't need to be shampooed very often.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I wash my hair about twice a week. Any more and it starts fluffing out in the bad, straw-like way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner