Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you wash your hair? (guys & gals)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I wash my hair and shower almost literally every day, with the rare exception being that it is simply not available to do, such as when camping. So basically, I do it always when I can.

OneAndOnly

Familiar Face
I have shoulder length thick hair and wash it every 2-3 days (sometimes up to 5 days :eek: ), otherwise it looks very greasy!

:eek:fftopic: I can have bone dry hair that was washed the day before, set it in heated rollers, leave it for over and hour and yet within an hour or two of taking it out it completely falls out of my hair! Pincurls are no better! And yes I do use product when I try curl it! I had a perm put in when I was about 15 and, this is no lie, it fell out the very next day! Never again will I give a hairdresser 5 hours of my day! Sorry to rant but it's been bugging me lately! Any ideas (or where I should look) would be appreciated!

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
OneAndOnly said:
I have shoulder length thick hair and wash it every 2-3 days (sometimes up to 5 days :eek: ), otherwise it looks very greasy!

:eek:fftopic: I can have bone dry hair that was washed the day before, set it in heated rollers, leave it for over and hour and yet within an hour or two of taking it out it completely falls out of my hair! Pincurls are no better! And yes I do use product when I try curl it! I had a perm put in when I was about 15 and, this is no lie, it fell out the very next day! Never again will I give a hairdresser 5 hours of my day! Sorry to rant but it's been bugging me lately! Any ideas (or where I should look) would be appreciated!

my sister has hair just like yours in respect of the curls. i have curled her hair with tongs, pin curled wet, pin curled dry - in fact everything bar the perming! it all drops out within an hour normally, and as her hair is thin and fine, it just looks messy rather than wavy. totally different to mine which is thick and curly - wonder which one of us belongs to the milk man?! lol lol

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I have to wash my hair every other day as it is fine and poker straight, can't do a thing with it! I have probably contributed to the hole in the ozone layer with the ammount of Elnett i have to use to make curls stay in. The rest of my family got thick, black ,curly Italian hair and i got the Sicilian sides hair so my mum says, which is perhaps the polite way of saying i'm the milkman's or the goatherds haha.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
OneAndOnly said:

I have similar problems, i should get shares! I know it might sound common sense, but my hairdresser who is brilliant, recommended that i use any old shampoo, i use Head and Shoulders and just use a conditioner for fine hair and not too much serum, just on the ends. I also blow dry my hair upside down and scrunch it dry and then set it in rollers, mist with setting lotion and spray with lots of hairspray. Do you use a volumizing product, there is an Aveda one which is very good. I have noticed my hair is a tiny bit more manageable since i just used ordinary shampoo and stopped using hair masks, conditioning treatments etc. My hairdresser had a good book, i think it was by Phillip Kingsley which had lots of good tips, i'm passing by there later, so i'll find out for you. x

wahine

Practically Family
I got thin straight hair that goes a bit beyond my shoulders. I used to wash it every day but over the years it got "weaker", meaning it's getting thinner, duller, falling out! I already see myself bald (at 34!) and feel I got to do something.
I gave up washing it every day two or three months ago. Washing it every two or three days, combined with pin curls I get an okay look. Now I would like to try to stop using shampoo after all. I'm a little afraid though coz I'm not really sure what's the German equivalent to baking soda. Neither leo nor google helped. A research for German info on the "no poo method" only gave results for the "wash with conditioner only" method not for the method with baking soda and vinegar.

Question to German speaking members:
Was kann man zum Haarewaschen nehmen - Backpulver? Hausnatron/Kaisernatron? Hefe?
I really don't want a chemical surprise on my head. :D

Lillemor

One Too Many
Every morning and evenings too if it's particularly humid outside. My scalp isn't happy otherwise, instead I just battle with dry scalp. It's a choice between two evils. I only wash my scalp, not the hair itself. When I washed the hair it became severely damaged or maybe it was the styling products plus sun at the same time that did the damage. I'll never know.

OneAndOnly

Familiar Face
Miss Sofia: sorry for my delay in replying! I don't use any volumizing products because my hair turns into a giant frizzball if i do! I don't use any special shampoos in my hair, I think the one I have at the moment is from Avon (I buy something different every month!) and I just do two washes, throw in some conditioner, rinse and then, depending on how lazy I'm feeling, either blowdry or leave it dry naturally, sometimes I set it first. I did have some luck 2 days ago with pin curls and sponge rollers but my horribly thick hair was still damp the next morning (after nearly 10 hours) so the back curls fell out :(

I continue to try try try!

And yes I ramble...ALOT!

unaspenser

New in Town
wahine said:
I got thin straight hair that goes a bit beyond my shoulders. I used to wash it every day but over the years it got "weaker", meaning it's getting thinner, duller, falling out! I already see myself bald (at 34!) and feel I got to do something.
I gave up washing it every day two or three months ago. Washing it every two or three days, combined with pin curls I get an okay look. Now I would like to try to stop using shampoo after all. I'm a little afraid though coz I'm not really sure what's the German equivalent to baking soda. Neither leo nor google helped. A research for German info on the "no poo method" only gave results for the "wash with conditioner only" method not for the method with baking soda and vinegar.

Question to German speaking members:
Was kann man zum Haarewaschen nehmen - Backpulver? Hausnatron/Kaisernatron? Hefe?
I really don't want a chemical surprise on my head. :D

I don't speak German, but baking soda is also called Sodium Bicarbonate or Bicarbonate of Soda. Its chemical symbol is NaCO4, and it is used in cooking to leaven things.

Lilac Oak

New in Town
I used to wash my hair every day, or else (despite its quantity and thickness) it would be flat and oily by the morning of day 2. With a wet set, I could go 2 days without washing it, and now that it is permed I go at least three days, usually more. Waiting to see what happens to it when I go back to dancing 8 hours a day, 5 days a week... I'm on summer holiday right now.

TrenchGuy

One of the Regulars
I've washed mine with shampoo everyday for about 2 months and I decided to stop using shampoo everyday, but still washing with water everyday.

Using shampoo everyday can dry your hair, but can water only do that too?

wahine

Practically Family
unaspenser said:
... baking soda is also called Sodium Bicarbonate or Bicarbonate of Soda. Its chemical symbol is NaCO4, and it is used in cooking to leaven things.

Thank you for the info!
I bought some "Hausnatron" today. It says Sodiumhydrogencarbonat on the back of the package and wikipedia claims that that is the "correct" term for Sodium bicarbonate. So I'll give it a try tonight and hope my head won't explode :D

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
I have curly, frizzy hair so I wash only every three to four days. I have found that if I let it dry on its own, with a some curl enhancer rubbed through it, it will hold a bit of curl on it's own. If I dry it, it holds only a bit of wave and then any curl I add with the curling iron will simply fall out within two hours, tops. Since my hair is shoulder length now, I see no need to fry it with the dryer since it isn't helpful. I just use a medium-sized curling iron...if I want the curls to stay tight, I spritz more of the enhancer on as I go...otherwise it holds enough curl for me most days. Humidity is my enemy...when it gets too hot and I have to turn on the swamp cooler, I cringe! Then its ponytail time!
I think that's why I am hesitant to get it cut like a Miss Hannah had in her earlier avatar...maybe I will do it this Autumn... I am sure there are products that would work well to keep it smart, I would just need to get them!

lareine

A-List Customer
My hair is naturally wavy and tends to greasy. I wash it every four days or so. Any more often and I get caught up in a vicious cycle of, "Wash it, strip the natural oils, scalp produces more oil, hair looks greasy, wash it, strip the natural oils..." etc. If I go most of a week without washing it looks greasy but four days is no problem.

I did the "no poo" thing for about six months, washing with baking soda and rinsing with vinegar. My hair looked great, shiny and bouncy. I only stopped because we were travelling for a long time and it seemed easier to take shampoo and conditioner than to argue with airport security about my mysterious white powder and bottle of acid :p

Derek WC

Banned
I wash the grease out of my hair when it starts getting heavy, usually about every 1 - 2 months, depending on what I use, but only because I'm too poor to be spending frivolously on pomade. If I had a lot of money, I'd wash it out every night before I go to bed, gunks up the pillow cases.
Yet I run water through it every night.

SheBear74

Practically Family
My hair is really short so every other day for me. I like to use castile soap and a vinegar with a few drops of lavender rinse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner