Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How often do you wash your hair? (guys & gals)

CopperNY

A-List Customer
occasionally. but....

my wife does the "Curly Girl" thing, and has me "co-washing" daily.

i use Grants Golden Pomade (water based/soluble) every day to turn what is essentially a medium "regulation" haircut into a faux flat top.

a dab of conditioner in the shower, massage in and rinse. the only time i use shampoo is after extremely sweaty activities (fencing practice and/or mowing the lawn with the reel mower).

hair feels great and my barber now recommends it to others.

Sunny

One Too Many
Interesting thread. I usually go about 5 days, but I just added it up and I think I went a whole week this time. Oops. I knew those rolls were pretty glossy! :p

I had long hair, waist length plus or minus some inches, most of my life, and usually washed every other day. While on a trip during college, there were some water issues where we were staying and I ended up going for four days at a time. My hair was oilier than I liked, but I survived. I did some research and a couple years later, I gradually started going longer between washings. I still use regular shampoo (Herbal Essences at the moment), but I put conditioner on from the head down, then wash the scalp and rinse, then conditioner again on the ends. Nothing left in or only partially rinsed out; it gets nasty fast that way. I always wash at night and don't comb it out until morning, because it's naturally wavy and sleeping on it sets the waves better.

My hair is below shoulder length now, but it's still reasonably thick and halfway coarse. It's always been very strong and healthy except when I was using a curling iron regularly; I almost never blow dried it. And it's an in-between tawny color so it doesn't look oily as quickly as some other colors. I do tend to be more careful on styles when certain areas around my hairline in front are looking darker than usual. Practically any historical hairstyle (I do multiple ones) is easier when the hair has oil on it, instead of being squeaky clean.

monicacaroline

New in Town
my two cents

I have pin straight fine,thick,relatively oily hair that doesn't like to hold a curl. I wash maybe twice a week. Anymore than that and my scalp freaks out, getting extra oily and extra flaky.
In the summertime I shampoo twice,no conditioner and use shine serum. This gives me about 2 or 3 days of manageable hair. I also do this if I plan on curling my hair at all.
The rest of the year I use tea tree shampoo, sometimes spiked with coal tar to keep my flakes in check,and conditioner(but not much).

I have a friend who is doing the "Tradtional Mexican No-Shampoo" thing described here http://www.anderra.co.uk/blog/no-poo-no-more-shampoo/ and her hair looks really nice.

Jenniferose7

One of the Regulars
I'm starting to average 3 shampoos a week. I've noticed that my hair is just in much better condition without constant washing as it is very dry from my regular dyeing. I tend to wear my hair in up-dos during the week as the added "dirty" texture really lends a hand in the styling.

I used to think that I "had to" wash my hair every day but now I know my hair much better.

~Kate~

New in Town
I have long hair that tends to be oily at the roots and really dry at the ends. I wash my hair every 2 or 3 days. Any longer than that between washing and I tend to get breakouts along my hairline. I use Green Beaver shampoo since I've found it is the only natural shampoo that doesn't make my hair feel like straw. I then apply conditioner to the ends and the very top of my head (for some reason the hair right on top has a different texture :confused:). I also never blow dry or heat style except for the occasional hot roller set.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
I shampoo every day as well. I only use a little just to wash the hair goop out from the day before, if not I can't do anything with it at all. My wife washes hers about every other day I believe. She used to every day, but it was taking a toll on her hair.

Wrangler95CSA

New in Town
Due to the copious amounts of wax and pomade that I put in my hair to keep it styled within regulations, I have to wash it every day. I don't fully wash everything out but once a week, I do it more so to break down what's already in it after getting terrible bed head and making it manageable and easier to apply more product. I wash once with Royal Flush, then immediately follow up with Axe Just Soft Conditioner. So far, seems to be working for me, haven't noticed any ill effects and I've been doing this for the past year. If anyone thinks or knows differently, by all means let me know! :)

Gigit

New in Town
I wash my hair everyday. It's too oily to go longer. My oldest daughter is a daily washer, but my youngest has a dry scalp so I only wash her hair every other day and condition it in between.

Michael Carter

One of the Regulars
Daily, every other day at most. Tragic bedhead, bad hair days or "Medusa hair" if I don't.

Same here unless I'm off. Nothing will tame my head of hair except washing or a hat. And I don't like going out when I haven't washed it as I have to remove my hat when indoors.

I really don't know how other guys and gals can just jump out of bed, run a comb through their hair, and it looks like they just came from the barber or stylist.

azhiker

One of the Regulars
I shower morning and nite. and when I shower, I wash my hair. I keep it very short, but in my experience, clean hair and scalp is key to never having dandruff, scalp problems.

Hercule

Practically Family
I have to sheepishly admit that I haven't used soap in my hair in over a month. I thoroughly rinse it out every day when I shower and that's it. It's very manageable and nevery really gets oily. I gueass I'm lucky.

B

Well, it's been more than a year since I've used ANYTHING in my hair, not even bar soap, and my hair has been consistently manageable and not overly oily and certainly no need for any additional product. It's actually become quite silky feeling. Just rinse it out with every shower. It really is true that once your hair and scalp realizes it's on its own, it stops over compensating for having to start over from scratch from daily shampooing.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Every other day, or as necessary, in the summer. Every three days, or as necessary, in the winter.

I've seen a great change in the way my hair manages in the morning and throughout the day. The Mrs. also does her hair about once or twice a week, but she does pin-curls - little different than just slapping some Brylcreem in and slicking it back. ;)

missjones

New in Town
every third day, or as needed. i wash it in the morning and let it air dry. the next day i wear it down again, and the day after that is ponytail day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy