Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How soft will a FQHH jacket get?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Guys,

My Aero Cafe Racer I bought a year ago is breaking in well, it has definitely softened, however, I'm wondering just how soft it will become? Obviously its a much thicker and heavier leather than my "regular" store bought cowhide jackets but will it eventually become as soft as a generic cowhide jacket?

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
Perhaps, for your children's children... ;-)

this is a funny question, since i just read that scientists have recently found FQHH jackets from the roman period that were handed down for 3,000 years and there still fing stiff as hell. want soft, get a lambskin.

schitzo

Suspended
Soft is not the right word. But with consistent wear and perhaps some rain it can become totally malleable in under 2 months. At that stage it's still a substantial jacket but it's comfortable all over

Steerhide I don't know so much about, but FQHH is not a big deal to break in

FQHH gets soft and is very comfortable. 3000 year old skins would be stiff so I do t get that comparison at all.
Steer seems softer with less wear though. All depends on how much you wear it, what you do in it, etc. More is better.

Swoosed

One of the Regulars
FQHH gets soft and is very comfortable. 3000 year old skins would be stiff so I do t get that comparison at all.
Steer seems softer with less wear though. All depends on how much you wear it, what you do in it, etc. More is better.

it was a joke Scott :eusa_doh: I love FQHH, but it ain't "soft" and never will be, it isn't supposed to be "soft". It will become pliable and eventually wearable and even comfortable (if its the jackets cut right) with consistent beatings, like those the romans used to give, but it will take time, lots of time.

this is a funny question, since i just read that scientists have recently found FQHH jackets from the roman period that were handed down for 3,000 years and there still fing stiff as hell. want soft, get a lambskin.
Oh, maybe you're thinking birth control? Another joke ;)

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
It softens up a little but the main way a jacket softens is each time you put it on. An hour of body heat will soften the waxes in the leather and make it flexible and supple. My FQHH is 10 years old and has become supple without actually getting soft. For soft try goat - one of the toughest leathers around.

majormajor

One Too Many
Hi Guys,

My Aero Cafe Racer I bought a year ago is breaking in well, it has definitely softened, however, I'm wondering just how soft it will become? Obviously its a much thicker and heavier leather than my "regular" store bought cowhide jackets but will it eventually become as soft as a generic cowhide jacket?

So, are you looking forward to it getting softer, or are you worried it will get too soft?

I don't mean that sarcastically - it's just not clear from your question.

My view is that even with regular wearing, FQHH will never really be "soft"..;)

I agree that FQHH (Aero style) becomes more pliable, but never soft. I had a 10yr old one, and it was still pretty burly, and even though it felt "manly", I'm not sure that I would go that route again.

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
From my limited experience, if you want soft, get lambskin: very soft but is easily torn. Goatskin is not as "soft" as lambskin but is very tough and durable. IMHO goatskin has less "character" than HH, even the thicker, higher quality goatskin from Aero. My only FQHH experience is from Aero, and there is simply nothing like Aero's FQHH but is not for everyone. Wilbur (oneterrifichog) is a friend of mine and lives on top of a mountain in E Tennessee. He has several jackets from FQHH made by both Aero and Lost Worlds, and would be interested in hearing his comments if he happens to see this thread.

Plumbline

One Too Many
In my experience Horween FQHH never gets "soft" like a mall steerhide jacket ..... it simply isn't tanned or designed that way ..... and if you stop wearing it it sort of toughens up again in the wardrobe (seriously !!!)

It will get comfortable but never soft with a pliable drape and relaxed feel.

Mid-weight or Vintage/Tumbled is a LOT softer from the get go ..... it will soften a little and feel less armourish but it takes a LOT of beating to do so. IMHO Lost Worlds is even tougher to "break" but maybe I just had a particularly tough Buco repro :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko