Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How stupid is that ad?

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Yes and the link goes to this page.
http://www.uniformalwearhouse.com/apages/tuxedoahats.html

HT30-50S.jpg

With a page full of hats like this if you could call it a hat worth wearing.

fmw

One Too Many
I'm not annoyed by the ads because a. I don't look at them and b. I understand that they are a revenue stream for the web site. Why not simply ignore them?

job

One Too Many
I thinks The Village Hat Shop has one also. To advertise on this site with that is annoying. We SHOULD know what kind of hat they are advertising. I have been talking about fedoras with people and they have no clue what type of hat I'm talking about. I'll usually say something like, "you know the freddy krueger hat". Then they will say, "Oh, you mean a gangster hat".

GamaH

A-List Customer
I thinks The Village Hat Shop has one also. To advertise on this site with that is annoying. We SHOULD know what kind of hat they are advertising. I have been talking about fedoras with people and they have no clue what type of hat I'm talking about. I'll usually say something like, "you know the freddy krueger hat". Then they will say, "Oh, you mean a gangster hat".

*facepalm*

That's just bad.

Edward

Bartender
Meh. Dillinger and the likes were sharp dressers. I don't mind that so much. It's the 'hey, cowboy' comments at a fedora that irritate me.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
With Google AdWords you pay for clicks - the advertiser will pay & the FL gets a part of it.

Doesn't mean we should try and make $$ for the site with tons of clicks though. Google has smart algorithms for noticing when things are not right.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Always good to remind ourselves the exhorbitant fees we have to pay to be on this website. I.e. exactly none. Yes, annoying, but let's appreciate their presence.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I took a look at the site. looks to be a good source for WOOL hats for those that want a WOOL hat. Not for me, nor for most of the rest of the memebers here, but they are HATS not caps so what's the problem? I'm not as much an elitest as some I guess. To each his own. If you don't like it, don't go there. :)

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Indeed, dhermann1 the Lounge is quite the bargain.

To be honest I don't usually see any ads online - I use Firefox with AdBlock When I use the Safari browser in my phone though, I'll click on the ads from time to time to help the site.

Saint-Just

One of the Regulars
I make a point of clicking on ads every now and then. I open a new tab and usually do not bother even looking at it but if it helps to fund the lounge I am happy to click.

Now it is up to Google or whoever to make the ads relevant to the lounge vast readership.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I think we are all missing an important issue here - blinded by elitism, I would say. There are members here for whom that ad will lead to exactly what they are in the market for. There are lots of people here (and possibly coming here in the future) who want or can't only afford anything BUT wool hats. Plus, the newbies who don't even know if they are going to become hat wearers, and are looking for a cheap way to experiment. And now, all of those shy, uncertain future hat wearers can stumble onto this thread and run away, in either dread, shame, or disgust. All those members on a tight budget who rread this now feel a little smaller.

That ad is EXACTLY the sort of ad that should be here! Best selection of wool hats I've seen in one place. I think I'll go click on it again!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I have no problem if one decides to buy a wool fedora, glued shoes, fused suit, etc.....for any reason but you can't expect aficionados of such things not to make mention of their shortcomings.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Advertising is my main business and reason for living - I don't look at them either. But that's because 99,9% of them are uninteresting, un-creative or plain stupid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot