Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How The Taxman Cleared the Dance Floor

Classydame

One of the Regulars
I thought this was interesting and was wonderin' what any of the history buffs with an interest in dance and swing music have to say? In your opinion, did taxes have an impact on musical tastes or not? Your thoughts are appreciated! I don't have an opinion because I don't know enough about swing/big band music.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100...SJ_Opinion_LEFTTopOpinion#articleTabs=article

By Eric Felten

These are strange days, when we are told both that tax incentives can transform technologies yet higher taxes will not drag down the economy. So which is it? Do taxes change behavior or not? Of course they do, but often in ways that policy hands never anticipate, let alone intend. Consider, for example, how federal taxes hobbled Swing music and gave birth to bebop.

With millions of young men coming home from World War II—eager to trade their combat boots for dancing shoes—the postwar years should have been a boom time for the big bands that had been so wildly popular since the 1930s. Yet by 1946 many of the top orchestras—including those of Benny Goodman, Harry James and Tommy Dorsey—had disbanded. Some big names found ways to get going again, but the journeyman bands weren't so lucky. By 1949, the hotel dine-and-dance-room trade was a third of what it had been three years earlier. The Swing Era was over.

Dramatic shifts in popular culture are usually assumed to result from naturally occurring forces such as changing tastes (did people get sick of hearing "In the Mood"?) or demographics (were all those new parents of the postwar baby boom at home with junior instead of out on a dance floor?). But the big bands didn't just stumble and fall behind the times. They were pushed.

Enlarge Image
Corbis

Doing the jitterbug, 1939.

In 1944, a new wartime "cabaret tax" went into effect, imposing a ruinous 30% (later merely a destructive 20%) excise on all receipts at any venue that served food or drink and allowed dancing. The name of the "cabaret tax" suggested the bite would be reserved for swanky boîtes such as the Stork Club, posh "roof gardens," and other elegant venues catering to the rich.

But shortly after the tax was imposed, the Bureau of Internal Revenue offered this expansive definition of where it applied: "A roof garden or cabaret shall include any room in any hotel, restaurant, hall or other public place where music or dancing privileges or any other entertainment, except instrumental or mechanical music alone, is afforded the patrons in connection with the serving or selling of food, refreshments or merchandise."

The tax hit not just swells, but anyone who liked to go out dancing—which in those days included just about everyone who went out at all.

At first, clubs were convinced "that war workers' coin is so free," as Billboard reported in 1944, that the tax "will not hamper the boys and girls out seeking a good time." But in the next few years, struggling nightclub owners were trying every which way to avoid having to foist the tax on customers.

Some adopted a "no show until after dinner" policy in the hope that food and drink consumed before the entertainment started wouldn't be subject to the tax. No such luck: The Treasury Department ruled that patrons would have to finish their meals and "leave the establishment prior to the commencement of the dancing or other entertainment." If they didn't, once the first note of music was sounded, everything the customer had consumed beforehand was subject to the tax.

Perhaps the most comical effort to get around the levy was the 1948 fad in Detroit, Chicago, Philadelphia and New York for "pantomime" acts, in which entertainers would lip-sync elaborately to records. The performer wasn't actually singing and so the show didn't meet the federal definition of cabaret entertainment, which carved out an exception for venues providing "mechanical music alone"—as long, of course, as there was no dancing.

The tax-law regulation's other exception had the biggest impact. Clubs that provided strictly instrumental music to which no one danced were exempt from the cabaret tax. It is no coincidence that in the back half of the 1940s a new and undanceable jazz performed primarily by small instrumental groups—bebop—emerged as the music of the moment.

"The spotlight was on instrumentalists because of the prohibitive entertainment taxes," the great bebop drummer Max Roach was quoted in jazz trumpeter Dizzy Gillespie's memoirs, "To Be or Not to Bop." "You couldn't have a big band because the big band played for dancing."

The federal excise tax inadvertently spurred the bebop revolution: "If somebody got up to dance, there would be 20% more tax on the dollar. If someone got up there and sang a song, it would be 20% more," Roach said. "It was a wonderful period for the development of the instrumentalist."

Bebop radically transformed jazz. But how differently might the aesthetic impulse behind bebop have been expressed if it had been allowed to develop organically instead of in an atmosphere where dancing was discouraged by the taxman? Jazz might have remained a highly sophisticated popular music instead of becoming an artsy niche.

Long after the war ended, the cabaret tax persisted. By 1956 the musicians union was bemoaning that two-thirds of its members—many of them former big-band performers—were "unemployed or are unable to make the major portion of their livelihood from music." When Rep. Thomas Pelly (R., Wash.) in 1957 argued that musicians and entertainers were "under the lash" of the tax, other lawmakers suggested the solution wasn't to repeal the tax, but to provide musicians with federal grants.

The cabaret tax dropped to 10% in 1960 and was finally eliminated in 1965. By then, the Swing Era ballrooms and other "terperies" were long gone, and public dancing was done in front of stages where young men wielded electric guitars.

Mr. Felten, a singer and trombonist in Washington, D.C., leads the Eric Felten Jazz Orchestra.

A version of this article appeared March 18, 2013, on page A13 in the U.S. edition of The Wall Street Journal, with the headline: How the Taxman Cleared the Dance Floor.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The tax may have contributed to the closing of hotel dance rooms, and the idea of going out to dance, but swing as a going concern was already dead before the tax was instituted. The AFM recording ban of 1942-44 was one major factor in this, but an even greater factor was that tastes in popular music had been moving away from "swing" and toward ballads as early as 1940. College campuses were consistently voting the sweeter bands as their favorites by the dawn of the forties, and songwriters were putting more emphasis on turning out that type of music. Bandleaders who had formerly emphasized hot arrangements were moving toward a "sweeter" style to go along with this -- Artie Shaw's 1941 band had a full string section, something that would have been unthinkable for a true "swing band" just three years earlier.

By 1942, jitterbug-type swing had become a niche product, and the hot bands were very much out of favor with the general public. Swing, as such, was only a dominant musical style from about 1936 to 1939.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The tax may have contributed to the closing of hotel dance rooms, and the idea of going out to dance, but swing as a going concern was already dead before the tax was instituted. The AFM recording ban of 1942-44 was one major factor in this, but an even greater factor was that tastes in popular music had been moving away from "swing" and toward ballads as early as 1940. College campuses were consistently voting the sweeter bands as their favorites by the dawn of the forties, and songwriters were putting more emphasis on turning out that type of music. Bandleaders who had formerly emphasized hot arrangements were moving toward a "sweeter" style to go along with this -- Artie Shaw's 1941 band had a full string section, something that would have been unthinkable for a true "swing band" just three years earlier.
By 1942, jitterbug-type swing had become a niche product, and the hot bands were very much out of favor with the general public. Swing, as such, was only a dominant musical style from about 1936 to 1939

Lizzie, you are a veritable fount of historical information! I'm curious about Glenn Miller's popularity during the war years though. His "swing" band toured and played for the troops as late as 1944. Was this just an anomaly due to his reputation and popularity, or with the troops, was Swing still King?

-dixon cannon

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Glenn Miller wasn't a swing band. He had a popular dance band that played swing-influenced arrangements, but he never played pure swing like a Count Basie or a Chick Webb band did. His civilian band was only one Ish Kabibble away from being Kay Kyser -- another leader who emphasized stylized arrangements that could sound swingy but weren't true improvisational swing. Miller was always popular, but swing musicians generally considered his disciplined organization the antithesis of swing.

As for the jitterbugs themselves, they were never more than a very small minority of the audience, even at the peak of their popularity. Most dancing was simple box-stepping around a hotel restaurant, and that hardly required a swing band.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The other point to be considered is "just how many and what kind of people in 1949 cared about bebop?" If you walked thru the average neighborhood that year and paid attention to the music you heard floating out of open windows, it's a pretty good bet you'd hear a lot more Dinah Shore, Bing Crosby, and Frankie Laine than you would Charlie Parker or Dizzy Gillespie. Most people who were the type to go out dancing weren't the type to go to bebop clubs to begin with.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Lizzie! I knew you would tell the history behind the music!

But she demolishes such a plausible argument against government with her silly knowledge of the period. The author of the article in
in question counts on the historical illiteracy of his audience, which is generally a pretty sure bet.

Truth is not important, as long as one pays obesience to "Truthiness".

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
The other point to be considered is "just how many and what kind of people in 1949 cared about bebop?" If you walked thru the average neighborhood that year and paid attention to the music you heard floating out of open windows, it's a pretty good bet you'd hear a lot more Dinah Shore, Bing Crosby, and Frankie Laine than you would Charlie Parker or Dizzy Gillespie. Most people who were the type to go out dancing weren't the type to go to bebop clubs to begin with.

Look through stacks of records of the period. The cabaret tax did not apply to people's homes, but dance numbers are few and far between in post-war issues. It does appear that dancing had already gone out of fashion ina broad sense, though there were suprising revivals in Square Dancing and Polka Danching, which fads apparently absorbed the majority of the population with an urge to shake a leg.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
All true. I think it's ironic, tho, that a political decision helped create the Swing Era, as well. What I'm talking about, of course, is Prohibition. One result of which was the wide open slice of real estate along the west bank of the Mississippi River, that was controlled by the Prendergast machine for so many years. Even after the end of Prohibition, those clubs were proteceted by the crooked politics of Missouri. That's where William Basey and his cohorts developed the 32 bar music we now call Swing. Shows to go you, don't it?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
What strikes me as typical of the Era: the apparent lack of public protest about the tax. If there was a war on and you weren't running a labor union, you did NOT back-talk your government.

I imagine James Petrillo of the American Federation of Musicians had some choice words about the dance tax. Especially since he always always ALWAYS got his way - at least when he wasn't up against Congress. He singlehandedly put the record business on standby in 1942, and in 1945 did something that's not generally known or cared about - he forbad any union musician from appearing on television when it was barely even an industry. And it didn't become one until Mr. P got an agreement from the networks.

Maudelynn

Familiar Face
They are actually now enforcing a tax in Seattle called the opportunities to dance tax. It is crippling the Century City Ballroom with 90k in "back taxes" as the city has suddenly decided to dredge up the tax and enforce it!
History repeats itself

LizzieMaine

Bartender
What strikes me as typical of the Era: the apparent lack of public protest about the tax. If there was a war on and you weren't running a labor union, you did NOT back-talk your government.

I imagine James Petrillo of the American Federation of Musicians had some choice words about the dance tax. Especially since he always always ALWAYS got his way - at least when he wasn't up against Congress. He singlehandedly put the record business on standby in 1942, and in 1945 did something that's not generally known or cared about - he forbad any union musician from appearing on television when it was barely even an industry. And it didn't become one until Mr. P got an agreement from the networks.

The high amusement taxes during the war were an attempt to discourage people from going out too much, and thus wasting tire rubber -- a sort of reinforcement to gasoline rationing. They also applied to theatres, amusement parks, ballparks, any event that people might be tempted to travel by car. The 1944 and 1945 baseball seasons came very near to being cancelled because of the need to cut unnecessary travel to an absolute minimum, but FDR was more of a baseball fan than he was a swing fan and declared baseball In The National Interest. Racetracks, however, were put out of business for the duration.

Even Petrillo wasn't bigger than FDR.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Look through stacks of records of the period. The cabaret tax did not apply to people's homes, but dance numbers are few and far between in post-war issues. It does appear that dancing had already gone out of fashion ina broad sense, though there were suprising revivals in Square Dancing and Polka Danching, which fads apparently absorbed the majority of the population with an urge to shake a leg.

As a kid, I enjoyed dancing to my mother's 78 of Arthur Godfrey singing "Too Fat Polka." There's no accounting for tastes.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lizzie, now while we're on the subject; a little more about Ish Kabibble ≈ The origin of Merwyn Bogue's stage name, Ish Kabibble, can be traced back to the 1913 novelty song "Isch ga-bibble" and this 1915 cartoon postcard, which displays a spelling (Ish Ka Bibble) almost identical to that used by Bogue. Between the song and the card, in 1914, Harry Hershfield introduced his character Abie Kabibble in his comic strip Abie the Agent.

My own dear Dad used to refer to Ish Kabibble (long before Alan Alda's character in M*A*S*H did!).

14nup0.jpg

-dixon cannon

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Let's not forget the sizable anti-dancing, anti-drinking, anti-smoking, anti-fun voting bloc in those days. Every state had its bluenoses, and they were organized. In Iowa, especially, their power was absolute outside the big rivertowns. My city of Ames didn't have Sunday movie shows till 1926 or liquor by the drink till the late '60s.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner