Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to "age" bright yellow cavalry hat cords?

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I have a hat conversion going where I'm taking a Stetson Hutchins and turning it into a tan Indian Wars cavalry campaign hat.

My problem is, the hat is on its way to looking nice and rustic, but the yellow hat cords look garish on it. The yellow is way too bright. I need a way to take these hat cords and make them look like the well-worn ones like in the John Wayne movies.

I've tried soaking them in tea. That didn't work.

There's got to be a way to artificially 'age' them.

Any ideas?
Have you had any success in "aging" your acorns?

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Whatever color/aging medium you choose, don't forget the most important thing in order to get a genuine look: Dirt collects in grooves, cracks and dents - while it gets worn off at high spots. Artificial patina can be quite hard to achieve, but it helps, if you study the real thing very closely. If not, you may very likely end up with a costume'ish looking item

liten

One of the Regulars
Acon type yellow hat cords were not suppled to them any way. this is the hat cord that was used for the cavalry vg180e.jpg

Redshoes51

One of the Regulars
Liten... for clarification, you are saying that the cords on your image above are 'Indian War' era cords? Weren't they used in the Civil War as well??

When would the 'acorn' cord appear, timewise??

Thanks...

~shoes~

ingineer

One Too Many
The colours have meaning
Here is link showing when they were established
http://www.cavhooah.com/info/cavalry-traditions/stetsons/hat-cords/
One must allow for variation in civil war artifacts
soldiers very often purchased their own uniforms, arms, swords etc. from a variety of sources
The acorns appear in many historical sites during the war, previous to that photography was not as common
http://cdn.history.com/sites/2/2013/12/george-meade-P.jpeg
wool ones
http://www.cavhooah.com/cav-shop/st...r-style-cavalry-yellow-enlisted-hat-cord.html

Last edited:

liten

One of the Regulars
Liten... for clarification, you are saying that the cords on your image above are 'Indian War' era cords? Weren't they used in the Civil War as well??

Thanks...

~shoes~
Yes the same cord was used in the civil war? the only difference was, it was a orangy yellow.

liten

One of the Regulars

Thanks...

~shoes~
Turn of the century spanam war? the acon cords were used in the indain wars and civil war on officers hats only! and they were not a plain yellow , they were a mix of black and darker shade yellow

liten

One of the Regulars

Thanks...

~shoes~
Spanam war period? this one is dated 1899 DSCF1458.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy