Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to be a Golden Era Kid

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
While celebrating our twentieth anniversary in England a few weeks ago, Mrs. Reno Kid and I came across a book called The Dangerous Book for Boys by Conn and Hal Iggulden. Highly recommended! It's filled with all sorts of cool stuff from the best of Shakespeare to making a bow and arrow and it's disarmingly honest. I believe they are releasing an American version soon (containing for example, the rules of Baseball rather than the laws of Cricket). If anybody else has seen it, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Sorry to drag this out of the bowels of the Observation Bar but I just discovered this and realised nobody had responded Reno...

I've had a good look at the book back home in NZ where it is incredibly popular. It's great with a lot of good old fashioned stuff for boys - things to do, great stories about bravery and derring-do. Good for the Playstation generation where many probably don't know a lot of the more traditional kids skills.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Nice timing?

I just introduced my nine-year-old to The American Boys Handy Book.
Now I need to get The Dangerous Book... for me.;)
Sincerely,
The Wolf

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
If I Were to Write a Dangerous Book for Grownups...

• Handle trespassers and obnoxious neighbors yourself instead of calling the police.
  • Do aerials in a crowded ballroom.
  • Use public transportation at 11:00 p.m. on a Friday night.
  • Bet it all on the long shot.
  • Pet strange dogs.
  • Invite strangers to come and stay with you.
  • Shop at the dented can store.
  • Try to moderate arguments between other people, unsolicited.
  • Be a pen pal to a convict.
  • Donate to a radical Islamist group.
  • Get a job working for or as a bail bondsman.

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
One of the things that I really like about this book is its complete lack of pretense. It goes into all of the stuff that was really important when I was a kid without talking down. The authors are very insightful. I get so tired of the modern tendency to try to shelter kids from all danger. Rather than admonishing the reader about the perils of climbing trees for example, it encourages such healthy activity and even gives detailed instructions for building a very cool treehouse. It even has some charming advice on dealing with girls. I need to get the American edition now.:)

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Paisley said:
  • Handle trespassers and obnoxious neighbors yourself instead of calling the police.
  • Pet strange dogs.

lol I love that! lol

You left out picking up hitchhikers.
My Grandfather used to do that regularly. :eek:
It stemmed from his hitchhiking and riding the rails during the Depression, but still....

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
  • Pet strange dogs.

Hehehe, Paisley!

Two more:

• Tell other drivers EXACTLY what you think of them. Communication is key. Be sure and use sign language as well.
  • Steal other people's shoveled-out parking places in winter, by moving their lawn-chairs, and then ask them what they're gonna do about it. (Is this just a Philadelphia thing?)

-Viola

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
My 2222 Post

While shaving the other day, I was watching the television in the mirror and saw a story about this book on a morning news show. It appears that it's about things I would teach my sons when I have some. Sure beats the hell out of some of the other "parenting" books.lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy