Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to dull Aero Goat

Manino

New in Town
undullable?
5 years of heavy use, rain or shine.
looks like new, shinny as glitter...
all that glitters is gold?
shine on you crazy diamond?

suggestions?
thanks from down under, not that one, but Uruguay, land of the beef!

Attachments

• IMG_20220519_140635.jpg
    IMG_20220519_140635.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 184
Certain kind of goatskin just shines. It's got that crazy kind of grain that acts like micro mirrors. Like scales. Cow and horse don't have that, goat does. That's what I love about it actually but yeah, it just keeps on shining and nothing can be done about it. My friend had a goatskin jacket he wore every day for years. Hated the shine & nothing ever helped.

Last edited:

dannyk

One Too Many
Theres a saying "stubborn old goat" or "tough old goat." It definitely applies to most goatskins. Im sure theres certain ways to tan/finish them that help it age more regularly but @Monitor is 100% correct goat is super tough. Its quite a grain pattern that makes it super abrasion resistant, able to retain its grain, more weather/water resistant than even horse. It just keeps that look forever. Some never seem to fade or patina, some only after years of abuse. Its part of goats charm. You get goat to have it looking new for a long time, or get it for wear where you know it will hold up.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Makes goat a great option for those who want a consistent look, in addition to its toughness/light weight combination.

When we have non-hobbyist friends ask for recommendations, I think we should place more emphasis on goat, less on horse or whatever else we usually prefer.

Edward

Bartender
Makes goat a great option for those who want a consistent look, in addition to its toughness/light weight combination.

When we have non-hobbyist friends ask for recommendations, I think we should place more emphasis on goat, less on horse or whatever else we usually prefer.

Yes, it's one of the reasons I like goat so much, actually. Unlike many who are seeking to replicate the look of a vintage jacket that's now seventy or eighty odd years old and looks it, I prefer mine to look at they would if bought new in, say, 1948 and worn for two or three years. Whatever Horses or Goats Float Yer Boats, to butcher an old saying.

Manino

New in Town
Thanks for all your eplies. I will leave it indeed, there is no much to do about it and will not go the sand paper or thiner/dissan path.
It is what it is, only problem is sometimes I feel like a Michael Jackson clone with all that shine and rather be Lenny Ace of Spades. Do have a steerhide Vanson that is dull so have some other options.
Someone here told me Aero used to use a different goat hide/process that was not ad shinny before but mine is the new kind so shine on.
salúd!
M

eggleman

One of the Regulars
Years ago I bought a goat Aero where they had experimented with some hide to age it , and although it's bullet proof , it's not a great look . If Aero can't age it to look good , I'd leave well alone . I seem to remember that they just made 2 jackets with the hide , and gave up on the experiment .

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko