Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"How to" - Getting Started in Reenacting

olkev

New in Town
These questions are basic "how to" type questions . . .

My interest in in the USAAF so the consideration for the "GI" is not applicable to my specific interest, however, feel free to address it for others who may read the thread.

WHO TO BE?
I see lots of enlisted & NCO pics on the board some officers and it seems like a bunch of captains and a few colonels thrown in. I know this may sound strange, but, how does one pick out a rank? In other words, what is to keep somebody from gearing up to be a brigadier general or Hap Arnold? I'm sure there are those that may portray a family member but, do you find an individual and learn all you can about them and play the role of the individual or would you play the rank/job assignment?

WHICH THEATER OF OPERATION?
Do different theaters of operations lend themselves to more easily getting started? For example, in Europe you have the "pinks & greens"; in the interest of authenticity, getting the right shades and material textures may be more difficult than obtaining khaki for a B-29 outfit. Is that true? Europe seems more popular, (I suspect because there might be more avenues for women to be involved, I dunno) but I can see where the Pacific might be easier to get started.

What say ye?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Olkev, you really prompt deep thought on this subject! Here's the way I view it. If you're just getting started, put together an outfit that suits you in terms of theatre/rank/position. For instance my first get-up was 1st Lt., Bombardier, since that is a position I had recently flown on a B-17 Fortress. I've expanded my uniform wardrobe to include two Class-A uniforms (one OD, one Tropical Tan) with B/Gen. rank (just to trump all those Col's!).

As you meet others and perhaps join a unit and participate necessity might dictate branching out into some other re-enactment of a particular nature. In the mean time, no one is going to reject you based on your initial choice of uniform. Try to keep it as authentic as possible as there are "stitch counters" out there who can make life miserable by pointing out every percieved flaw or inaccuracy!

-dixon cannon

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I'd like to answer your "who to be" question. Take several things into account when you decide on your impression. Weight, age, height (you don't want to be a 6'4" ball gunner) are all things to consider. If you're considering portraying an officer, you don't necessarily want to portray a 20 year old Colonel, nor do you necessarily want to be a 50 year old Second Lieutenant. Of course, there are always exceptions (Chesley Peterson, a full Colonel at age 23 with the 4th FG).
For many years I did Homefront living history impressions as I felt I was too heavy to accurately portray someone in uniform. So I worked up some Civilian Defense impressions (Air Raid Warden and Auxiliary Policeman), as well as building a basic '40s wardrobe. All the while, I had been collecting RAF items and had (still have) a great interest in all things RAF. But alas, I felt I couldn't do an RAF impression accurately because of my weight.
That all changed when I was looking through a book about RAF Biggin Hill, and I saw a photo of some of their ground echelon officers and enlisted personnel. Right in the middle were two middle-aged and rather rotund officers. It was a revelation, and I realized that there actually were overweight types in the RAF. I found my exception.
I decided to go ahead and put together an RAF impression, but at 48 (now 50) I figured that it wasn't a good idea to portray an active duty pilot. So I developed a persona that is of a "ground wallah". My portrayal is of an ex-WWI Air Gunner that stayed on in the service and now "flies a desk". I chose the rank of Flight Lieutenant (same as US Captain) as someone of my advanced age in a non-command situation would likely have such a rank.
As a result, I've become the Airman's Preservation Society Capital Wing's RAF Liaison Officer.
So my advice (and it's just mine, you can take it with a grain of salt if you wish) is to strive for as close to your ideal persona as you can without straying into the realm of unbelieveability (i.e. you wouldn't catch me in a Para uniform). I hope this has been of some help.

Geneseo09197.jpg

(Yes, despite the funky colour, that is an actual British WWII wall tent.)

cco23i

A-List Customer
As for our ground crew impression. Our maintenance officer is a Captain, as he should be, I as line chief am a Master SGT. and so on. Like the guys said it depends on your age and impression.

Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles