Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to inccrease the pinch on a fedora

Rafal

New in Town
Hi All,

I have just recvieved a wonderful custom fedora and would like to increase a pinch on the crown. Do you have any idea how I could acomplish it? Do I gently steam it and lightly clamp it while it dries? Is there a better way?

Cheers,

Rafal

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think a little steaming and gentle, prolonged pinching should do the trick. I would hesitate to apply clamps - although maybe some other loungers could give you more on that.

Whatever you do, don't make it a habit to grab the hat by its pinch, even if to increase the pinch. You'll wear a hole through the felt.

I see you're new in town. I don't know if this is your first hat, but you might also consider some of the following links for your review:

Felt Hat Basics

Hat Creases

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Another option ... You can also sprinkle (or spritz) the area you want to mold with a little clean water. Form it how you want it look and let it dry. That shouldn't take too long on a warm and dry day. ;)

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
A little bit of steam and hold it to shape while it cools. If it takes longer than a minute to cool you used WAY too much steam.

BUT, if the hat was custom-made for you call the maker and ask what to do.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BanjoMerlin said:
BUT, if the hat was custom-made for you call the maker and ask what to do.

Wow, good catch!! :eek:

Definitely call the hat maker up and chew the fat for a while. He/she may even be able to do it for free? [huh]

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Definitely no clamps. I use water from a spray bottle and squeeze/prod/poke until I get the shape I want, and then put the hat on top of a motorcycle helmet until dry. Thats why I do reshapings in the evenings - so the hats are wearable the next morning.

One Too Many
I think so ¡¡¡

scottyrocks said:
Definitely no clamps. I use water from a spray bottle and squeeze/prod/poke until I get the shape I want, and then put the hat on top of a motorcycle helmet until dry. Thats why I do reshapings in the evenings - so the hats are wearable the next morning.

Even more, if the motorcycle is a Harley with on back seat a great lady"
lol lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart