Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to keep your hair in place?

Naama

Practically Family
And that all night? I tried all kinds of setting lotions, hairspray, hairmousse, hair wax, setting lotion and hairspray, hairmousse and hairspray....... But it all just doesn't really work that well. My hair actually holds curls and waves very well, during day time I don't use hairspray or setting lotion but when I go out dancing, I always end up looking horrible! Has anyone any idea how to keep my hair in place while dancing? In films the girls always look like their hair could surrender the worst hurrican (I think their hair doesn't even move in the wind), how did they do that?

Naama

colleency

One of the Regulars
Don't wash your hair the day of the event. When you do wash it (day before?), use a setting lotion or spray that you put in your hair wet and it will help hold the style later on. Use lots of bobby pins and tons of hairspray. And cross your fingers. And hire a hairdresser to accompany you. :D

jazzwife

New in Town
I don't know if I am completely off base, but what about a hair net?
My grandmother used to use really, really thin ones. They were made of something like a fine fishing line. From across the room, they were invisible.

Naama

Practically Family
colleency said:
And hire a hairdresser to accompany you. :D

Ah! That would be great ;)

I always do my curls with wet hair.... So do you mean, I should just make it wet without shampooing it?

Naama

maisie

Practically Family
In films the girls always look like their hair could surrender the worst hurrican (I think their hair doesn't even move in the wind), how did they do that?

I remember watching 'Easter Parade' and one actress was doing a very fast and very lively tap dancing rountine (can't remember the actresses name at the moment), anyway at the end of the routine her hair was a mess and all over the place! But the it cut into a different shot of her and it was all perfectly back in place and looking fabulous again!! The magic of hairdressers!!:)

maisie

Practically Family
And that all night? I tried all kinds of setting lotions, hairspray, hairmousse, hair wax, setting lotion and hairspray, hairmousse and hairspray....... But it all just doesn't really work that well. My hair actually holds curls and waves very well, during day time I don't use hairspray or setting lotion but when I go out dancing, I always end up looking horrible!

All I can say is hairspray, hairspray, hairspray!!!!!!!

The night before I'm going out (or the morning if I'm going out at night!) I wash my hair and then cover it in setting lotion, then I put it in those plastic rollers, tie a hairnet around it, and either sleep in it or just dry it with my hairdryer!
After it is dry I will then take the rollers all out style the front of it and use up about 1/2 a can of hairspray!! This seem to do the trick and my hair will stay in place for about 2 (sometimes 3) days! As long as I sleep in a hairnet!

So if you think you have enough hairspray on, just spray a little more!!:rolleyes:

Vanessa

One Too Many
Invest in large amounts of hairspray. But no matter how well you shellac it, if you're dancing a lot - it's going to get messed up from the combination of the sweat on your skin and the oil produced by your scalp. Bring a matching hairnet/snood and when it starts to go funky - voila! New 'do.

colleency

One of the Regulars
Naama said:
I always do my curls with wet hair.... So do you mean, I should just make it wet without shampooing it?

Naama

I would do what maisie suggested with the washing and curling the night before. When you wash and condition your hair, you wash out all the natural oils that keep it in place. Have you ever heard, "I just washed my hair, and I can't do a thing with it"? That's what it means. You need to have those oils for your hair to not be limp. We wash our hair today far more than women did back in the day.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Several years ago, I cut way back on the amount of gluten I ate (gluten being a protein in wheat and oats). I found that my hair stayed cleaner longer.

The other ladies are right about the oils in your hair. Don't wash your hair so clean that it squeaks.

My own solution for dance hair is to maintain it in a good cut and use jaw clips. They aren't vintage, but I haven't found anything that holds my hair better.

Trickeration

Practically Family
I play in a big band and when we're on a break, I usually dance. I also do dance performances. Here's what I do so my hair will survive the whole night and not be a mess when I get back onstage.

I always start with 'day old' hair (washed the day before). I don't curl it the night before because my hair is fine and will get too frizzy. I just keep it loose the day of the event. About 3 hours before leaving, I set my hair (dry) with spray gel and solar rollers. They're just foam rollers with a wire in the midldle and metallic cloth over them. You twist the ends to keep them in place. I leave the rollers for about 2 hours. Make sure the gel is completely dry, use a hair dryer if you need to. Spray gel is really sticky and stiff so when you unroll your hair, you have to seperate the curls with your fingers before brushing. Afterward I just brush it and style how I want. Then I finish with a healthy spraying of strong hairspray. I shake my head, see if it comes loose, than add more spray if I need to. I've always gotten compliments on the styles, so I'd say the look is good. But it's definately not for running fingers through ;) . Oh and don't forget, plenty of pins. I use regular and mini bobby pins, but I don't use hair pins. They don't hold my hair well enough. And like Paisley said, jaw clips. I have some not much bigger than my a corn kernal that I use to hold snoods, or secure a roll from the inside. They're great.

This method may seem brutal, but it works. My hair styles have gotten through packing up, driving to shows (even in the summer with no air conditioning in the car) unpacking, setting up, playing and dancing x4 sets (indoors or out, day or night). My hair can even handle the dance shows where I'm doing aerials. The only time it didn't quite make it was when we went dancing at a show near the beach. The wet salt breeze won that round.

Good luck! Trix :)

Naama

Practically Family
Tin Pan Sally said:
I suggest you carry along a flowered snood like this:
http://www.thedivapinup.com/catalog_snoods.html

or something to do a ponypomp or braided pigtails:
http://www.lucky-11.com/lucky11frameset.htm

or put in up:
http://www.jinxproof.net/hair.html

just in case you hair really falls and can't get up.

If I would go for a 40's/50's style, that would be nice, but I don't think that would go with my 30's style :/ But thank you anyway (the divapinup has great, great flowers!)

And, thank's to everyone else! Tickeration, I will try what you suggested, but I'm a bit scared, because for me it never worked before when I tried to do a dry set...... But thank you! I will try it!

Naama

OcNikki

New in Town
I dance and I dance hard and the only way to keep my hair in place when I go vintage is a hair net. Starting with day old hair use setting lotion and set the curls the night before. I leave my curlers (pillow rollers work perfect) in until I absolutely have to take them out to ensure they are completely dry. After you style the curls place the hair net how you like and pin it in place. Use the very thin hair net that is closest to your hair color. Hair spay and your done! This is what works best for me. Hope it helps.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Naama said:
And that all night? I tried all kinds of setting lotions, hairspray, hairmousse, hair wax, setting lotion and hairspray, hairmousse and hairspray....... But it all just doesn't really work that well. My hair actually holds curls and waves very well, during day time I don't use hairspray or setting lotion but when I go out dancing, I always end up looking horrible! Has anyone any idea how to keep my hair in place while dancing? In films the girls always look like their hair could surrender the worst hurrican (I think their hair doesn't even move in the wind), how did they do that?

Naama

I would only say two words "Aveda Phomollient".
Wash your hair but don't condition, section it off and add lots of this to each section before putting your rollers in. Go to sleep, (a little uncomfortable but well worth it)
Hey presto shiny VERY curly bouncy hair, no stickiness, no dullness..... just wonderful stuff.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Try Bumble and Bumble hair spray. The stuff really holds. I did my hair the other night and went out in a wind storm, and it still was in place. I usually spray it heavy the first round, and then put the dryer on low speed high heat to set it. Then I do a few more rounds of light sprays, then dry again. They also make a curling lotion called "curl conscience" that you put in wet before setting. Most product does not stay in my hair very long because of its texture, but Bumble and Bumble seems to work the best. Good Luck.

Maria

New in Town
maisie said:
I remember watching 'Easter Parade' and one actress was doing a very fast and very lively tap dancing rountine (can't remember the actresses name at the moment), anyway at the end of the routine her hair was a mess and all over the place! But the it cut into a different shot of her and it was all perfectly back in place and looking fabulous again!! The magic of hairdressers!!:)

Maisie, I love Easter Parade! The actrees you're talking about is Ann Miller, and yes, I love how her hair looks a complete mess by the end of the dance scene, and right after that her hair looks perfect and fabulous again, haha :)

But, in 'real life', some hair spray and a very thin hair net in the right colour work very nicely

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner