Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Know if You're in The Right Bar

harboldlr

New in Town
I used to frequent an establishment that had good food and whenever I came in the first round was sitting at "MY" stool before I could get my coat off. I loved that bar.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Although they're are fabulous hotel bartenders at The Savoy in London or at The Roosevelt in Hollywood, I find the majority to be sub par. They receive very little training if any. Rum and coke, margaritas and bloody mary is about the extent of their ability.
Where in The Savoy did you enjoy your cocktails? It could only have been in The American Bar.
Whenever we do a night on the town, we tend to kick off in The American Bar. But if we are meeting friends, we usually meet up at Volupte enjoy a starter there, then share a taxi to The Savoy. It's an indulgent luxury that's not in keeping with our more modest way of life, but when we do push the boat out, first stop: The Savoy. By the way, in keeping with the indulgent tastes, my wife always orders: Champagne Cocktails.

Where in The Savoy did you enjoy your cocktails? It could only have been in The American Bar.
Whenever we do a night on the town, we tend to kick off in The American Bar. But if we are meeting friends, we usually meet up at Volupte enjoy a starter there, then share a taxi to The Savoy. It's an indulgent luxury that's not in keeping with our more modest way of life, but when we do push the boat out, first stop: The Savoy. By the way, in keeping with the indulgent tastes, my wife always orders: Champagne Cocktails.

Unfortunately, you have to go to such high end places in order to get a decent drink made. At some places, the bartender has no idea what I want or how to make it. I almost wish it was one of those salad bar approaches to bartending. Let me behind the bar so I can make my drink the way I want it with what I want in it---AND no water to top it off!:mad:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Unfortunately, you have to go to such high end places in order to get a decent drink made.
It would seem so, often the problem is the low pay that bar-staff get. A good mixologist (is there such a word? Cocktail always sounds so phallic. So what would Cock-tologist sound like?) expects to be paid well for all the effort that he's put into learning his craft.

katon

New in Town
Gimlets are usually good for determining baseline bartender knowledge. They are simple drinks that do not require unusal ingredients, but they can only be made well if a bartender understands the basics of cocktails (glassware selection and prep, garnishes, proper shaker technique, proper ingredient ratios for getting a cocktail-strength finished product, etc.)

Gimlets are usually good for determining baseline bartender knowledge. They are simple drinks that do not require unusal ingredients, but they can only be made well if a bartender understands the basics of cocktails (glassware selection and prep, garnishes, proper shaker technique, proper ingredient ratios for getting a cocktail-strength finished product, etc.)
Even then, which recipe do you get? The one with gin, a spot of lime and soda, the one with half gin and half rose's lime juice or some nutty vodka concoction? You never know. Best you come with the recipe handy. :p

anon`

One Too Many
I don't know if vermouth alone is that good on an indicator. At the very least, I'd expect to see Punt e Mes, Dubonnet Rouge, and Cocchi Americano also offered as options.

Frankly, I keep a mental list of a great many spirits--many, though not all, being liqueurs--that I expect to see. The more that are present, the better the chances of being at the right bar. Chief among these, somewhat strangely, is St. Germain. Although St. Germain is becoming rather mainstream now, it has the somewhat unique attribute of turning a rather ugly shade of brown if left open for too long. I find this to be a very good way to tell "the right bar" from a merely "well-stocked" one. Other favourites to find include Zirbenz, Crème Yvette, St. Elizabeth's Allspice Dram, Armagnac, at least one Pays d'Auge calvados, and two unicorns: Pousse Rapière and Verveine. But that's just me.

Lastly, one word of caution about using a "simple" cocktail to test the bartender: many cocktails have undergone a variety of "correct" formulations to suit the era over their lifetimes, and very often one "correct" form may be entirely unrecognisable or, worse, undrinkable. By way of example, many people today (who still drink them) seem to prefer martinis mixed as gin with the smallest amount of vermouth possible. I find such a concoction undrinkable, and take mine as two parts Crater Lake or Plymouth gin and one part Cocchi Americano. I'm not sure I've ever met a bartender who defaults to making their martinis in that manner, though I've met a great many excellent bartenders to use gin and a touch of vermouth. In other words, test at your own risk!

And don't ever put ice in my Scotch! (But do bring me a small glass of water alongside.)

And don't ever put ice in my Scotch! (But do bring me a small glass of water alongside.)

In a bar, I ask specifically for three cubes of ice in my scotch. If they can't get that right, I'm in the wrong bar.

My wife bought me some of those "whisky stones" for drinking at home. They're little rocks that you put in the freezer, then put in your drink to cool it off, without them melting and watering down your drink. They work ok, I guess, for the first glass, but they're pretty useless by the time you get to your third or fourth.

In a bar, I ask specifically for three cubes of ice in my scotch. If they can't get that right, I'm in the wrong bar.

My wife bought me some of those "whisky stones" for drinking at home. They're little rocks that you put in the freezer, then put in your drink to cool it off, without them melting and watering down your drink. They work ok, I guess, for the first glass, but they're pretty useless by the time you get to your third or fourth.
Ice cubes in Scotch?!
[video=youtube_share;HC-FFCbd3_k]http://youtu.be/HC-FFCbd3_k[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner