Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to make a ribbon

donCarlos

Practically Family
I´ve decided to replace the narrow and brown ribbon on my straw hat for a wider and more colorful one (it´s spring and summer - time of the joy, so why should I be wearing a brown ribbon :) ).
I have a plan how to remove the old one (it is glued to the hat) and how to attach the new one (I think I will sew it to the hat), but I don´t know how to make the decoration on the left side...

Any advices about how it is made?
I mean either this:
http://www.hats-plus.com/detail.aspx?ID=417&Name=Bailey-Gibson-Straw-Hat
or this:
http://www.hats-plus.com/detail.aspx?ID=413&Name=Biltmore-Telescope-Milan-Straw-Hat

Milsurp

New in Town
Check out the 'important hat threads' sticky at the top of the hat forum page. There's a link at the bottom on how to make the bow style ribbon.

OliverTwist

New in Town
How much fabric needed for a large ribbon?

I'm looking to source some vintage fabric to replace a hat ribbon on a straw Dobbs.

I have 1 yard length of bleeding Indian madras from the '50s to use; would that suffice considering the material is so thin?

Thanks!

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
I'm not exactly sure what you are asking but if you want a bow, it takes about 46" of ribbon. If you are just circling the hat, you have enough.

Art

OliverTwist

New in Town
I'm circling the hat, however I would like to have a wide ribbon and done up layered rather than a single sleek piece of fabric wrapped around. I'm not sure if that illustrates my intents well.

It's not a felt dress hat, but a straw weekender/leisure hat. I'm sure you've seen examples of straws from the '50s and '60s with the wide layered ribbons... That's what I want.

The madreas fabric is thin and light so it might have to be doubled up to properly wrap around; I'm not sure.

Feraud

Bartender
I'm circling the hat, however I would like to have a wide ribbon and done up layered rather than a single sleek piece of fabric wrapped around. I'm not sure if that illustrates my intents well.
Something like this?
67.jpg

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
ahh, you want to make a pugaree?
the above pic by Feraud is a pleated pugaree, can be made with one pice of fabric about 27-28" long. The pleats are the tricky part.

jerrea

New in Town
Pugs

I love making Pugs, just get out the 'ole iron, lay up the pleats, twist the end and you got a Pug. I attach mine with hooks & eyes so I can change them per my whims.

jerrea

New in Town
That is a beauty! I am curious....the brim fabric, how deep on the underside of the brim does this go? I just made one on an open wear cheapie straw that covered the entire under brim, looks pretty nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot