Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to maximise crown height

astaire

One of the Regulars
I'm the newest member of the lounge as of this morning, and really glad to be here.

I just returned from a trip to Germany and wow, what a great place to wear fedoras it is. While there, I finally got myself a tobacco brown fur felt fedora from an old store in Munich named Breiter that was having a renovation sale. They claim to be a family run hatter since 1870's.

I know that this may be blasphemous to some of you, but relax, i own a vintage borsalino that once belong to my grand father. He bought it on his first trip to Europe back in 1952.

But the problem with my new hat is that it does not have the desirable crown height that Art Fawcett, Matt Deckard, and so many of you seem to like alot and i myself prefer.

It has a teardrop crown with a dome.

I wouldn't mind to reshape it to a center dent if it can increase the height and also, yes Matt, decrease the tapper.

Can anyone of you suggest what I should do?

Thanks all!

I was wondering if

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good Day Astaire
Reshaping a hat is dead easy. I wear my Biltmore to Church and if the service is..... not as...... gripping as to keep my attention (I hope I don't get struck down for that) I usually play around with my hat. Reshaping it every witch way. Some hats are pliable enough to do this without water or steam. But some need a little help. So if your hat is a little more ridged just use a pray bottle of water. Dome the crown up so it looks more like a bowler. Now some hats were meant to have a taper. if the domes hat has tapered sides, your out of luck. If not, bash to your hearts content. Also the best way to make a style stick is to soak the hat in that style and let it dry. Hard pinches will leave permanent pinch marks that are really hard to get rid of. So I would play around with it dry till you find what style you want it in. Hope that helps.
Johnny

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
To maximize height...

Steam it and push it out to open crown. Steam it some more and play with it. A shallow center dent with no or slight pinch at the front will emphasize the vertical. Experiment with the sharpness of the points of the dent, and its rear height. Some hats, and heads, do well with the crown lower at the rear. Keep the felt warm and moist with steam while working it; set aside to dry when you're satisfied.

Pictures of you and your hat would help.

astaire

One of the Regulars
here are two pics of the lid

Thanks Johnny. I am wondering if the lid is rebash-able. I got a bit nervous when you say that domed hat with side tapers is not subject to what i intend to do

Thanks Snrbfshn. How do you make your side dents? they look really awesome! I was trying to steam in that kind of side dents, but could not keep them stay as deep. i was worried if i steam more, i would shrink and add taper to the crown...

wait, how do i post my pics that's in my documents?

astaire

One of the Regulars
my first try at posting pics

hope this works
breitersideview.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot