Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How To Paint On A Leather Jacket, Part 3: The Theory #1

Stand By

One Too Many
So ...Painting (and, as I'm limited to 10,000 words per thread, this is in two parts to illustrate what I'm on about).

In WW2, the nose and jacket art works were done with whatever paint was to hand on the base. This was usually enamel or similar oil-based paint and in limited supply and so there wasn't a lot of range of colours. And not every base had a competent artist - the job sometimes just fell to whoever showed even a glimmer of talent, and so the quality of works varied enormously from the rough and basic through to the truly amazing and artful.
The ladies at Hibbert Bros. told me that I could use artist acrylics and/or artist oils. Now, back then, this was all new to me. I was a seasoned aircraft model builder, having made models all my life since I was 6, but had only ever used enamels (hand-brushed and airbrushed) - so I felt really quite daunted by this.
"Don't worry. You can do this", they said. And you can too.

Artist acrylic paints are easy. They go on smoothly and set very quickly and can be over-painted in minutes. Being water-based, any mistake can be removed quickly with a wet cloth or Q-Tip. Note that acrylic paints are sold in varying degrees of quality; namely student grade and professional grade. Student grades are for students who typically have less money to spend, so the quality of the pigments and fillers is reflected in the lower price. My advice: Get the professional grade as this is a design you only intend on doing once and it should be the best it can possibly be and it's a precious A2 we're talking about here! Invest in the best.
You will first need to paint a white base on the jacket in the shape of your design - to get the colours to stand out and work properly. You could use gesso (in the same manner as artists use it on canvas) as it is white and flexible, but a simple white acrylic base will work just fine and is what I use.
A word on additive mediums:
You will need to add Tension Breaker - this does a couple of things: it lowers the surface tension of the acrylic paint and improves the bond to the fabric and it also helps the paint to flex - so it won't crack as the jacket bends. I used one by Rowney back then. These days, as far as I know, only one company (Matisse Derivan) in Australia still makes it under the name of Surface Tension Breaker and I got mine from Oz online. Windsor & Newton also makes Flow Improver and it too is designed to help the acrylic flow (as the name says!) and help you get a nice, neat "hard edge" with the acrylic paint - and I once called the rep at the factory and told him about my old Tension Breaker and he said it was the same thing and the same formula.
Another medium to consider is Retarder. As I mentioned, acrylic paints set quickly which can be a bonus - but depending on the day and what you are doing, they can set a mite too quickly - especially if you are trying to take your time and blend some nice flesh tones or something similar. Retarder is a medium that slows the drying and allows for some extra working time.

Artist oil paints work very well too but, whereas the acrylics set in minutes, oils can take a week. Yes, a week. This is great if time is not important as they are immensely forgiving and you can easily remove mistakes with a Q-Tip or soft cloth and adjust your work as you go and review/correct it over days. If you need to speed certain colours up, you can add some Japan Drier which halves the drying time to a few days, but do be sure to use this in a well-ventilated area as it's a bit toxic and harmful to the ol' lungs. Oils have equally good permanence too.
If you're doing a pin-up girl and want nice, blended flesh tones with no brush marks, oils would be a good choice. And that’s where oils are useful – they allow you time to work and get nice blends whereas acrylics set too quickly.
Use a tension breaker of course – and in this case, you’d want something like Oil Painting Medium I by Grumbacher.

“How do I choose what paint medium I should use?” I hear you ask.
Well, that depends on what you are wanting to do.
Let’s look at my very first work “Stand By” as an example:

StandBy2.JPG

The lettering was done in acrylics and they’re very opaque and go on well, there's no blends of colours required and are ideal for this - but the pin-up girl and smoke was all done in oils.

StandByDetail#1.JPG StandBy.Detail2.JPG StandByDeatail3.JPG

Note the flesh tones of the girl and how they are nicely blended from the highlights down to the shadows. Oil paint allows you lots of time to blend paint nicely and erase any mistakes or brush strokes. Being more translucent, you may need to use a couple of coats of oil paint flesh tones, but that’s okay. Take the time. The result is worth it! Begin by getting a basic flesh tone paint colour and putting that down as a base and letting it dry. Then work the other flesh tones (cool and warm crimson tones, highlights, shadows) on top. Flesh tones are tricky but oils will allow you to practice and develop your skills as you go. There are also kits of flesh tones in hobby stores and they will give you an idea of the colours you should emulate, as well as some good how-to guides in model forums.
Note also too the smoke – you will notice that it goes from a darker blue-grey at the bottom corner of the work and changes gradually and seamlessly to a lighter blue-grey as it gets higher and the perceived light changes. Again, it’s a seamlessly smooth blend of hue and value which could only be done with oil. Acrylics would set far too quickly on you and make hiding brush strokes very difficult. St. Paul’s cathedral and the bombed out buildings were also done in oils.
The Messerschmitt Me- 323 “Gigant” and spotlights were all done in acrylics. The white cloud is simply the white base coat.
Note that you can paint oil paint on top of acrylic paint but it can sometimes be tricky to put acrylics on top of oils, so if you’re not sure, try to keep them separate if possible.
And finally, note that Stand By was done during the hot summer of 1993 after work and at weekends – and it took me 6 weeks to do - that's including lots of drying time plus a week of waiting for it to dry to a full cure before I added a varnish coat.

Another example here is the pin-up girl by K.O. Munsen that I painted on my ELC C-3 and I entitled “Playin’ Jane”.

Playin'Jane.JPG

And we'll look more closely at that and other works before we get to putting brush-to-leather and truly committing ourselves ...

End of Part 3.

Attachments

• StandBy1.JPG
    StandBy1.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 315

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
very nice work StandBy

lol you need to write a tutorial how to grow enough courage to grab some paints and brushes to paint on a leather jacket directly like you do.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Really great thread. I doubt most of our first attempts will produce a piece as nice as yours (hey, you have a background as an artist-years of model plane building counts!) but something small, maybe mission tallies or a name could be achievable. Good to at least know the proper paints to use. Thanks.

Stand By

One Too Many
Really great thread. I doubt most of our first attempts will produce a piece as nice as yours (hey, you have a background as an artist-years of model plane building counts!) but something small, maybe mission tallies or a name could be achievable. Good to at least know the proper paints to use. Thanks.

Well, as I said, you could get a small stretched and mounted canvas from an art shop (very inexpensive) and a small starter set of paints and have a test run and see what happens - and if it goes well, you would have a small piece of art to hang in the bathroom (as my original Stand By does today - and no amount of steam from the shower will ever harm it!) and with no harm done to any jacket.
And you're welcome. :)

Stand By

One Too Many
Thanks a lot, Monitor! That's kind of you to say. I'm glad someone's enjoying it. :)
I'm working to get the other parts up ASAP. I had to come in to work yesterday (Sunday) to get those three up as my old PC (which is tired and slow at the best of times) wasn't up to it at home - so I crossed town and came in to work to get it posted. Then I learned that I was limited to 10,000 words per thread - so I had to edit my texts into pieces … and my old PC was struggling with the amount of images, so 3 was all I could do … but I'll post the others as work allows (as that's why I'm here, right?!?!).

"Best and genuinely useful thread in a long while"

Agree 100%

And yes, courage is built by success on other cheaper subsrates. The just realize it's just another surface painting on an expensive jacket. No mistakes, just fix it.

Stand By

One Too Many
"Best and genuinely useful thread in a long while"

Agree 100%

And yes, courage is built by success on other cheaper subsrates. The just realize it's just another surface painting on an expensive jacket. No mistakes, just fix it.

Thanks!!!! :)
And you're absolutely right.

And I'm glad that the finished collection of threads garners about 20-30 new views per day! I think that's pretty amazing! I'm pleased with that and I hope it helps someone somewhere.

Yankee Whiskey, I also started my life of art as a model builder with my Dad, we supplied the Cockpit Shop in NYC (Avirex) with all of their models. I've only done a few jacket paintings as I tend to spend an unpractical amount of time on them. I'll post a pic or two if you'd like.

The models were done way back before the age of digital cameras so I have nothing to show for that, but my Dad being a master modeller his whole life had me winning 1st place trophies at Baycon Shows at age 12. Used to buy my own school clothes with the money made from the Cockpit Shop in NYC. Otherwise the Nikes and Levis weren't happening in my family with 3 boys and a girl, school shopping was at Bradlees dept store the week after school for my siblings to get all the bargains and I wasn't having that:D

Here's a recent job where I tried staying within traditional methods with airbrush being used only to lay down an even base coat -

Stand By

One Too Many
Beautiful work!
And I know the owner (whom I won't name as he's not around TFL right now, but he's a really great guy) is very happy with it as we discussed design ideas on what he'd like on the back panel in PMs and emails and I asked him in the summer how it had all gone … and he sent me the finished photos. I know that that name and particular coin has meaning to him and it's very well done. Great font too!
I just didn't know it was you who did it though … Nicely done indeed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner