Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to remove painted graphics on leather jacket

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
Hey folks, was wondering if it's possible to remove painted graphics from a jacket without ruining the leather? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
It depends on the paint and also the leather.

Before you go and ruin something, it'd be a good idea to experiment. If you can find a sample of the leather in question, you can paint it and try various methods to remove the paint.

Of course, that's a big if. But it will be possible with a lot of jackets to research the leather tannage, and if the tanner still exists source some cheap scraps. Then it's just a matter of figuring out what type of paint was used, and what type of remover works with that type of paint, and observing whether it does the job without ruining the leather.

I've heard that it can be done with acetate, and in some cases the result is very good. But I've never tried it, so I have no firsthand knowledge about it. Just what I've heard.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
It depends what you mean by "without ruining the leather".
Most products that will remove the paint will remove the topcoat from the leather, but that won't necessarily ruin it.
@ton312 used Acetone to remove the top coats of jackets and they looked great afterwards.

Acetone will absolutely work but as Carlos mentioned , you can kiss the topcoat good bye. I would only use acetone if you plan to go nuclear. You’ll likely need to do the whole jacket. Not sure it would be a good choice for spot applications and you will lose some pigment too. A good choice if you are ok stripping the whole jacket.

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
Thank you gentlemen. Here's the jacket in question. If I did remove the topcoat I would likely lose the darker accents yes?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221002-135100.png
    Screenshot_20221002-135100.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot_20221002-135026.png
    Screenshot_20221002-135026.png
    999.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Screenshot_20221002-134057.png
    Screenshot_20221002-134057.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 112

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Thank you gentlemen. Here's the jacket in question. If I did remove the topcoat I would likely lose the darker accents yes?

I would not touch that with anythign unless you plan on dying it a darker colour.
It's such a light colour, you are going to end up with smudges everywhere.
I think your only hope is to acetone it fully to remove everything and then dying it dark brown or black, or a colour that will hide the smudges.

Edward

Bartender
I've seen a lot worse, tbh. I'd maybe darken it down a shade or two by applying some pecards, as I'd expect that to make the design less obvious. It's not hideous, though - much better than some of those awful, cod-biker designs with eagles and such.

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
Thanks guys, I like the look of this jacket but it's almost at the edge of my courage level style wise; a bold statement but I agree it's tastefully done. Thanks for all the input gentlemen. Going to need to think on this one.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
oxalic acid leather& wood bleach will do, then you can re-dye, but I have no idea how it will affect hardware and lining, so perhaps you need to do it sparingly little by little and wait it to dry in between steps not to fully drench the leather into the lining side

jglf

A-List Customer
Fiebings has a deglazer that is an acetone mixture. You can try that first and then straight acetone. Worst case you just dye the jacket afterwards.

Ingramite

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys, I like the look of this jacket but it's almost at the edge of my courage level style wise; a bold statement but I agree it's tastefully done. Thanks for all the input gentlemen. Going to need to think on this one.
I think it's a funky piece of period folk art.
That's a good thing...to me anyway.

See here's the deal, everything on that jacket is historic. You might be able to get the paint off of it but it would still have all the fittings, cut and fit from that period.

I'd be proud to wear it as is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112