Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to repair button holes on horsehide.

photo2u

One Too Many
Friends,
I have a very nice lost worlds car coat that has seen some action and needs a little TLC. The thread is coming undone in all the buttonholes. I was thinking in using a gimp and heavy thread to address the damage, but I have some question before I do something I might regret. Since I have not done this repair, I have been researching online for how to videos, but none show a heavy-duty sewing method for heavy horsehide.
I am about to purchase some gimp and some tread. Any recommendations?
I welcome any input!
G.

IMG_3406.JPG
IMG_3405.JPG
IMG_3403.JPG
IMG_3401.JPG

Last edited:

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Friends,
I have a very nice Lost worlds car coat that has seen some action and needs a little TLC with the bottom holes. The thread is coming undone in all the buttonholes. I have seen several how to videos but none show a heavy-duty sewing method for heavy horsehide.
I am about to purchase some gimp to do this repair.
I welcome any input!
G.

View attachment 334272 View attachment 334273 View attachment 334274 View attachment 334275
I would burn the loose thread off with a lighter. It's nylon so it will melt into a drop, which will prevent it from unraveling any further.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
+1, Stu uses nylon thread for everything button related, just burn the loose threads so it doesn't get worse.

I would just fix the ones that have unravelled by hand with two needles and thread.
I just restitched four stitches on the belt of my Leathertogs A and it is completely invisible, it is pretty easy to do, just stitch in the same stitch holes.

I just used this basic technique but with two regular thin needles and thinner thread, it works just as well:

Edit: actually, you dont even need two needles for a button hole, just single needle and stitch in and out through the button hole.

Last edited:

photo2u

One Too Many
I think this is one of the best methods and the techniques is very well done.

I will give it a try. I am up to the challenge. I have done some sewing and I truly do not want to take the coat to this stuck up places in my area that charge and arm and a leg for the work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GokhanB