How to repair button holes on horsehide.

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by photo2u, May 13, 2021.

1. photo2u

photo2u A-List Customer

Friends,
    I have a very nice lost worlds car coat that has seen some action and needs a little TLC. The thread is coming undone in all the buttonholes. I was thinking in using a gimp and heavy thread to address the damage, but I have some question before I do something I might regret. Since I have not done this repair, I have been researching online for how to videos, but none show a heavy-duty sewing method for heavy horsehide.
    I am about to purchase some gimp and some tread. Any recommendations?
    I welcome any input!
    G.

IMG_3406.JPG IMG_3405.JPG IMG_3403.JPG IMG_3401.JPG

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  2. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

I would burn the loose thread off with a lighter. It's nylon so it will melt into a drop, which will prevent it from unraveling any further.

Cornelius and Carlos840 like this.
  3. Aerielle Max

Aerielle Max Familiar Face

I agree, you must burn it to prevent further damage. Hopefully you can take care of that now.

photo2u likes this.
  4. photo2u

photo2u A-List Customer

I will get on it. Thanks!

5. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

+1, Stu uses nylon thread for everything button related, just burn the loose threads so it doesn't get worse.

I would just fix the ones that have unravelled by hand with two needles and thread.
    I just restitched four stitches on the belt of my Leathertogs A and it is completely invisible, it is pretty easy to do, just stitch in the same stitch holes.

I just used this basic technique but with two regular thin needles and thinner thread, it works just as well:

Edit: actually, you dont even need two needles for a button hole, just single needle and stitch in and out through the button hole.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Cornelius likes this.
  6. photo2u

photo2u A-List Customer

I think this is one of the best methods and the techniques is very well done.

I will give it a try. I am up to the challenge. I have done some sewing and I truly do not want to take the coat to this stuck up places in my area that charge and arm and a leg for the work.

Carlos840 likes this.