Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

how to spice up "Business Casual"

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
I looked this up and it seems to have been discussed before, but the problem with business casual is that it seems every company, or even department within a company has a different definition.
For instance I used to work at a desert proving grounds (for heavy trucks, military vehicles etc), the dress code was "business casual" which translated to workboots, jeans, big knife/leatherman, and a tough button up shirt (not a dress shirt..) oftentimes cover the whole thing up with coveralls.

Now I work in an office environment where business casual translates to dress slacks/khakis (pretty much anything nicer than jeans goes), and anything polo shirt grade or better.

Still other places seem to define business casual as coat and tie, but not necessarily a suit.

So my question is, in an environment like mine, how far can one stretch the business portion? Within my office area there is only one person who routinely wears a tie (though not always), however he prides himself on doing 100% desk work and not stepping into "the lab" (I still work at an automotive test facility, but I do more indoor work than I used to). I have a lab coat I can wear to keep shop dirt off my dress shirts, but don't feel it would be appropriate to wear a tie. I do usually opt for dress shoes, and better than average slacks (though I have been known to wear Wrangler jean cut, but khaki color pants). I personally despise Polos (find them uncomfortable and difficult to maintain), so it's always button up.
Just wondering what others in my situation do, and what kind of options there are?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
bbshriver said:
I personally despise Polos (find them uncomfortable and difficult to maintain), so it's always button up.

I'm with YOU on that one. :eusa_clap

------------------

It's been a while since I did the office gig but I was in that environment for years, although always in creative/art department situations in ad agencies, etc. where I could get away with whatever flaky look I wanted. Now, I could wear trunks and tank tops all day every day but I find it very difficult to dress down so casually.

I say experiment. Have you considered rectangular bow ties? Don't fear the clip on, as they were used frequently in the old days and some vintage ones in great colors, fabrics and patterns can be found inexpensively. This can be a somewhat daring, yet not overly self-serious accessory. I don't know if you're single but you might be pleasantly surprised at the reaction you'll get from the equivalent of the 'typing pool' at your workplace. ;)

Vests/waistcoats also add a little something special. Don't need to button them up or wear a coat if you just want a little extra flair without looking overly dressed.

Suspenders/braces do the same, I think. Not necessary in this day and age but stylish and not commonly seen anymore. To me that's a plus.

G'luck summoning up the guts to shine up a little more than the average Joe at you company. Sounds like you're itching to do it, so go ahead and enjoy! :)

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I often wear two-toned shoes with my suit to the Office, one female co-worker admired them and I said "It's Corporate with a twist" to which she replied "Binkie, I didn't think it was possible to twist, in this organisation!"

3548662020_6a0a3a6bd6.jpg

I have also instigated "Bow Tie" Friday in the Office, I did it on the Friday before the Grand Final football match here in the Antipodes, I took a large box of Bow ties in for all the guys to wear!, it was a great successes so will do it again next year!"

3514246949_34b7a61a3b_o.jpg

"A spot of B L I N G goes rather a long way to lightening, the mood, on a Bleak Monday Morning at the Office"

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
bbshriver said:
I personally despise Polos
No comprende. Polos are as much a staple of a gent's wardrobe as underwear. I have them in cotton, merino, silk, linen and cashmere; in a myriad of colors, both long and short sleeve.

I agree that their ubiquitousness (short sleeve cotton) is a touch off-putting but that should not bring upon a baby/bathwater scenario.

Geronimo

One of the Regulars
I personally despise Polos (find them uncomfortable and difficult to maintain)
Would you mind saying what brand of polo you're talking about? My experience is the opposite... but I have noticed that the collars on many brands tend to go flat in short order. Land's End has the best that I've come across, FWIW.

cptjeff

Practically Family
I like polos well enough as a look on their own, but I hardly ever wear them, since they do scream business casual or golf to me. They're not at all hard to maintain as long as you don't cram them in the drawer and wrinkle them.

As for spicing things up, better fit is a great place to start, if you don't already. If you can pull it off, slim things up. Slim chinos and a trim polo is a great look, and that alone will make you look better dressed then most everybody there. Silhouette is the first thing people notice.

With your situation, I agree, a tie would be a bad idea. Not really because of style, but you're working in a lab. They can get caught in things. That's the big reason bowties are often associated with the engineer type- they're much better around moving parts.

Another random thought would be ascots. There's a great thread here on them, it's great look with an open collar, and if they suit you they could really add a great element of style without being too dressy.

bbshriver

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the replies!

Regarding polos... I'm not sure what brands I have.. a variety. My dad wears them frequently as casual wear (don't catch him too often in the jeans and t-shirt dress code).
My biggest issue is I like a really sharp collar... and polo collars always seem to be rumpled (and I usually hang mine, not fold).
Other than that I'm just not a fan of the whole "is it a t-shirt/is it a dress shirt?" identity disorder, in much the same way I'm not a huge fan of a "sport sedan" cars.

Regarding proper fit, I think I come pretty close as it is, although my personal profile does not allow "slim" fits, but I am working on that..

The bow tie option is interesting. I actually have been wanting to pick up a bow tie or 2 for random "around town" wear. Not sure it would be right at work but maybe worth a try at some point.

Edward

Bartender
I agree with CPTjeff -an ascot / cravat is a great start. I used to wear the virtually every say in the office before I went over to wearing a four in hand most days. Still enjoy the cravat, and they're not an expensive thing to lay hands on, especially if you go with the used/ vintage market, as opposed to new. Ironically, des[ite them being a much more casual thing than a regular necktie, people notice them so much more.

BinkieBaumont said:
"I often wear two-toned shoes with my suit to the Office, one female co-worker admired them and I said "It's Corporate with a twist" to which she replied "Binkie, I didn't think it was possible to twist, in this organisation!"

Love those shoes - where'd you come by them? I have seven or eight pairs of correpondents of varying patterns and styles, and I wear them exclusively with anything short of formalwear from mid March through to some time in September, typically. They definitely get notied - I'm the only one in our department (institution, possibly!) that wears them, and they have become something of a trademark.

(ETA - love the lapel pin ;) ).

vonwotan

Practically Family
Fortunately, I have been with our firm for long enough that very few people even take note that I ignore "business casual" and, at the very least, wear proper trousers, odd jacket, tie (bows), and pocket square - when I am not wearing a suit. The arguments about "comfort" don't at all work for me because nobody really makes casual / sportswear that fits me... I'm almost looking forward to those first few grey hairs. It seems they give greater license to those who enjoy dressing more formally.

matei

One Too Many
I like the shoes, I have a similar pair by Trickers.

I like the lapel pin as well... ;)

I've not worn a polo for ages... for me they also suggest business casual, Powerpoint presentations, management buzzwords or Information Technology (a large number of us IT folks receive polos, usually emblazoned with corporate logos or products).

In my experience the collars wouldn't go flat, but curl up. Not my preferred look, I have since donated my polo collection to more needy souls.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
matei said:
I've not worn a polo for ages... for me they also suggest business casual, Powerpoint presentations, management buzzwords or Information Technology (a large number of us IT folks receive polos, usually emblazoned with corporate logos or products).
Sure but that ilk has a more refined cousin, usually of Italian decent.;)

1020283.jpg

HPL9_R.jpg

Hoth206

New in Town
i know this may be blasphemy...

Have you considered the "golf" polo shirts? They're some kind of lightweight microfiber type material, and don't "pill" and "fuzz up" like regular cotton (I HATE that). They're also incredibly cool in the SE Texas humidity. I will say that they look better paired with a straw hat more so than felt...so it's sortof a summer/spring option.

The best part is that they're one of the few shirts that you can get away with bold colors (i.e. Lime Green) and not look too out of place in a business casual atmosphere (where I work every day). I've got several that get put in the rotation on a regular basis.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
LIKING them COUSINS

HPL9_R.jpg

NICE, shirts those I WOULD wear to my Office. In the current work climate:

1. Under dressing you don't take the work seriously

OR

2. Over dressing "what are you trying to prove, got a job interview etc."

Solid citizen :rolleyes:

Rathko

New in Town
I have a photograph of my grandfather, who was a Head Gardener at some country house in England standing in his work attire - three-piece suit and tie. One of the things I love about pre-war clothing is that everyone dressed well whatever the dangers of dirt and oil. I've always found quality dress-slacks, a waistcoat and a newsboy cap is still suitably informal while still clearly outshining the khaki-and-polo brigade.

HN7706-001.jpg

HT5475-001.jpg

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xr/JB...5D344FDE8E81B4F51D5D52A8D3A1E00123AA3B5A18ED0

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
matei said:
for me they also suggest business casual, Powerpoint presentations, management buzzwords or Information Technology (a large number of us IT folks receive polos, usually emblazoned with corporate logos or products).

Why is it that when people think 'Polo shirt' nobody thinks of, ohhhh, I don't know, POLO?! Lol. How about Tennis, or possibly LaCoste?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24