Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to tell the difference between Repro and Real Vintage

• Thread starter Deleted member 12480
  • Start date

December

One of the Regulars
deleteduser said:
the south.... any particular places? ;) xx

I just found this which is very helpful: http://www.timeout.com/london/shopping/features/4475/London-s_top_20_thrift_stores.html

Check out Angels Costumes- they have a warehouse in Wembly and have massive sales a few times a year where they sell off their old stock. We went to one recently and managed to get an original 1940s fedora, 1960s coats, 1950s shoes and loads more. A lot is repro but you can also get original if you get there early enough.

There is a Beyond Retro in Brighton, although I've never been there myself and a 60s mod shop for men called Jump the Gun (we intend to buy fiance's wedding suit from there).

Eastbourne has some really nice antique shops, though they don't sell any clothes.

As for fabric shops, there are a few C&H fabrics around here which are good and Fabricland in Basingstoke, Southampton, Brighton and a few other places.

D

Deleted member 12480

mmm london, brighton

all seem so very far away.

Bearing in mind i'm 15 i'm not sure how i'll manage it...
but i'll see if i can drag someone down there ;)
xxxxxxxxx

December

One of the Regulars
You live in the Midlands right?

Maybe you could take your mum/sister shopping for their birthday but really use it as a shopping trip for yourself! lol

Mirinda

New in Town
December said:
There is a Beyond Retro in Brighton, although I've never been there myself and a 60s mod shop for men called Jump the Gun (we intend to buy fiance's wedding suit from there).

There are also 2 Beyond Retro shops in London - I've only been in the one around Soho, but it's quite big :)

December

One of the Regulars
Mirinda said:
There are also 2 Beyond Retro shops in London - I've only been in the one around Soho, but it's quite big :)

I've been to both :)

I thought the Soho one was pretty small... you're in for a shock when you visit the big one in the East End!!

Sincerely-Dee

One of the Regulars
I've frequently visited the Beyond Retro in East London - Brick Lane - it's HUGE. Too big I think, it's hard to navigate but you can often really good items but in the tiniest of sizes.

I believe that they have just started their own repro summer-themed line.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Another great resource: OLD PEOPLE!
Do you have an old folks home or retirement community? If so, you could maybe ask if any of their residents were really into fashion; the staff should know. Not only will you learn a lot in conversation, they will be grateful for the attention.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner