Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you try to wear a hat?

• Seamlessly

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Formally

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • To stand out

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I don't care what people think

Votes: 31 86.1%

• Total voters

Dustin Hoeppner

New in Town
This is a question, maybe a discussion, and I hope I don't offend anyone by misspeaking, but I'm genuinely curious if anyone has considered the hat problem in the world.

I don't really know where to start, but I felt that here would be the best place to discuss it.

In the world, mostly america, you have a few different types of hat people. We'll focus on the fedora crowd, but mention ball caps. You have people that wear ball caps, people that don't wear any hats, people who wear fedoras inappropriately (neckbeard memes), people who wear fedoras appropriately with dressing up. The models or "extra" type folks you see wandering metropolitan areas, often accompanied by a photographer friend. You also see people who wear fedoras all the time no matter what, generally older folks, probably a large collection of the folks here on this forum. I wouldn't say that its necessarily appropriate or inappropriate, but common and eventually accepted. And then you have a very small group of people who wear fedoras, or other "intentional" hats that somehow blend them into their style, and personality. So seamlessly, that it often goes unnoticed (by normal people) that they are even wearing a hat. This is the art that I'm trying to master.

I should say, I understand the mantra "don't care what other people think" but I think its virtuous to find the balance between care free and trying too hard.

Go back to the hat era, pardon my lack of research, but around 100 years ago. Everyone, literally everyone but the weridos wore a hat on a regular basis. It was natural and nobody thought anything of it. Coat racks and hangers are still designed to this day to hang your hat on the top. Of course everyone improperly hangs their jacket by the hood on that hook.

I'm rambling, but I wonder if anyone has some insight, or ideals, of how a world can be achieved, at least by hat wearing individuals, to blend in rather than stick out wearing a hat. Also without having to dress up to tie it in more easily. I would rather my hat be admired by the people that notice, than acknowledged by the people who think its out of place.

P.S. I added a poll. Maybe to get some more info without requiring a response.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
In the world, mostly america, you have a few different types of hat people. We'll focus on the fedora crowd, but mention ball caps. You have people that wear ball caps, people that don't wear any hats, people who wear fedoras inappropriately (neckbeard memes), people who wear fedoras appropriately with dressing up. The models or "extra" type folks you see wandering metropolitan areas, often accompanied by a photographer friend. You also see people who wear fedoras all the time no matter what, generally older folks, probably a large collection of the folks here on this forum. I wouldn't say that its necessarily appropriate or inappropriate, but common and eventually accepted. And then you have a very small group of people who wear fedoras, or other "intentional" hats that somehow blend them into their style and personality. So seamlessly, that it often goes unnoticed (by normal people) that they are even wearing a hat. This is the art that I'm trying to master.

Personally, I fall into the category that "I don't care what other people think" but that wasn't always the case. I never really wore hats growing up, not even ball caps/snapbacks. I didn't start wearing dress hats until I started learning how to make them. When I first started wearing them, I was super self-conscious about it because I noticed everyone noticing me. Then people started commenting on how much they liked my hats and that self-consciousness turned into confidence. So now I am very confident in wearing hats that I do not care what others think. However, I am progressing more now into blending hat-wearing with my style. Now when I start to make a hat I am thinking about when will I wear this one and with what kind of clothing, etc. So it is evolving for me. People will always notice the hats because it is not as commonplace as it once was, but universally everyone usually only has positive comments about the dress or western hats.

Dustin Hoeppner

New in Town
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just wear hats and eventually everybody knows you as 'the hat guy.'

If wearing a fedora "appropriately" includes dressing up, then I'm doing wrong. But any other way wouldn't be natural to my style, such as it is.
I just meant in contrast to definitely inappropriately. The way that most people think when they think fedora. But appropriately I just meant that they compliment your outfit, like wearing a fedora with a suit.

Wearing a hat in all situations, even casual, ideally can blend well. But yes, also just being the hat guy can be beneficial as well. Just as long as its not for the wrong reasons.

Invariably when these kinds of threads cycle around I'm always reminded of pics like these:

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1384.JPG

IMG_1381.JPG

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1383.JPG

If you can't own it, don't do it.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I answered the I don't care answer. I do not wear hats for an effect, I wear hats because most others here, I like them for ME. If you want to wear a hat please do and if you don't that is fine. If you wear hat because you think someone else wants you to then maybe you are doomed to fail. If you want to wear hat to stand out then maybe you are doomed to fail or at least not have the impact you want.

This is a question, maybe a discussion, and I hope I don't offend anyone by misspeaking, but I'm genuinely curious if anyone has considered the hat problem in the world.

I don't really know where to start, but I felt that here would be the best place to discuss it.

In the world, mostly america, you have a few different types of hat people. We'll focus on the fedora crowd, but mention ball caps. You have people that wear ball caps, people that don't wear any hats, people who wear fedoras inappropriately (neckbeard memes), people who wear fedoras appropriately with dressing up. The models or "extra" type folks you see wandering metropolitan areas, often accompanied by a photographer friend. You also see people who wear fedoras all the time no matter what, generally older folks, probably a large collection of the folks here on this forum. I wouldn't say that its necessarily appropriate or inappropriate, but common and eventually accepted. And then you have a very small group of people who wear fedoras, or other "intentional" hats that somehow blend them into their style, and personality. So seamlessly, that it often goes unnoticed (by normal people) that they are even wearing a hat. This is the art that I'm trying to master.

I should say, I understand the mantra "don't care what other people think" but I think its virtuous to find the balance between care free and trying too hard.

Go back to the hat era, pardon my lack of research, but around 100 years ago. Everyone, literally everyone but the weridos wore a hat on a regular basis. It was natural and nobody thought anything of it. Coat racks and hangers are still designed to this day to hang your hat on the top. Of course everyone improperly hangs their jacket by the hood on that hook.

I'm rambling, but I wonder if anyone has some insight, or ideals, of how a world can be achieved, at least by hat wearing individuals, to blend in rather than stick out wearing a hat. Also without having to dress up to tie it in more easily. I would rather my hat be admired by the people that notice, than acknowledged by the people who think its out of place.

In your poll I think you left out the most important reason....."To Cover My Head"

I just meant in contrast to definitely inappropriately. The way that most people think when they think fedora. But appropriately I just meant that they compliment your outfit, like wearing a fedora with a suit.

Wearing a hat in all situations, even casual, ideally can blend well. But yes, also just being the hat guy can be beneficial as well. Just as long as its not for the wrong reasons.
Is there really a wrong reason?

They’re just hats. Wear them, don’t wear them...what difference does it make? If you like something for whatever personal reason(s) then you should do it. I don’t care about the motivations of others when it comes to their hat wearing, and my own motivations are multifaceted: in truth, I could probably check all the boxes.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

First, welcome to the lounge Dustin.
Pretty hard question to answer with all the bias, preconceived notions, declarations and stereotypical thinking your query presents.
A discussion all the more difficult it would seem.
No doubt, with a few more years under your belt you will trade other’s perceived opinions for self confidence and be able wear a hat that fits you, so to speak.
My hats cover my head, not my eyes.
Until then, good luck.
B

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
I grew up thinking a hat was pretty much necessary as we spent time on the land, with animals, in the bush and outback (also in the suburbs, never really a big city guy). You just wore a hat if going outdoors for any period of time as you wood shoes, type of hat would reflect what your doing...

You always had at least 1 hat for the extreme sunny days which are plentiful down-under, I've also spent much time without a hat, who hasn't in these modern times. I guess it depends if you spent a lot of time outdoors or indoors as to hat wearing, but anyway what I'm getting at is to some of us it's just normal still if your not from a city.

So I always just wore them for function rather than fashion, so never got a mind-set really worrying about how others may perceive what/how or why I'm wearing. These days I wear them for the same reasons and mostly just because I like wearing them, I have more now because I like change and at my age to spoil myself a bit.

I'm just saying it depends on the kind of lifestyle you have even and you develop a different mindset about wearings hats, even more so when used to wearing often but only had 1 hat. You get used to not thinking about your look, wear the hat/s you like, how you like for YOUR enjoyment, not others.

If it's dressed up, down, oddly or for vanity etc who cares, if you like it do it and enjoy life.

I just wear for both protection and just because I like it, if I look good great, if I don't... meh, I'm still happy, if there's a problem it's someone else's. Life too short, live, love and enjoy it while you can.

Last edited:

Dustin Hoeppner

New in Town
I grew up thinking a hat was pretty much necessary as we spent time on the land, with animals, in the bush and outback (also in the suburbs, never really a big city guy). You just wore a hat if going outdoors for any period of time as you wood shoes, type of hat would reflect what your doing...

You always had at least 1 hat for the extreme sunny days which are plentiful down-under, I've also spent much time without a hat, who hasn't in these modern times. I guess it depends if you spent a lot of time outdoors or indoors as to hat wearing, but anyway what I'm getting at is to some of us it's just normal still if your not from a city.

So I always just wore them for function rather than fashion, so never got a mind-set really worrying about how others may perceive what/how or why I'm wearing. These days I wear them for the same reasons and mostly just because I like wearing them, I have more now because I like change and at my age to spoil myself a bit.

I'm just saying it depends on the kind of lifestyle you have even and you develop a different mindset about wearings hats, even more so when used to wearing often but only had 1 hat. You get used to not thinking about your look, wear the hat/s you like, how you like for YOUR enjoyment, not others.

If it's dressed up, down, oddly or for vanity etc who cares, if you like it do it and enjoy life.

I just wear for both protection and just because I like it, if I look good great, if I don't... meh, I'm still happy, if there's a problem it's someone else's. Life too short, live, love and enjoy it while you can.
I too consider myself a very functional hat wearer. I started with Tilly's, I have 3.

Recently I bought a fedora for an indiana jones costume, not the full 5 1/4 crown, but a 4 1/4 and I rebashed it to resemble the movie. I've found that wearing it without the rest of the ensemble still can give it a very fedora look. If you tip the brim back a little bit and reveal more of your face, it makes you look very approachable and blends the hat in a bit more. Then if its sunny, or the wind picks up, you can grab the front of the brim and snug it onto your forehead.

I've always wanted a fedora. Obsessing over this costume allowed me to order one. I made sure to order a real one so I could use it outside of the costume and try to make it look not like a costume piece.

Its a Stetson Temple Wool Fedora in Mink. Here is a picture, I still have some Cairo dust on it.

signal-2020-11-06-172934.jpeg signal-2020-11-06-173402.jpeg

I too consider myself a very functional hat wearer. I started with Tilly's, I have 3.

Recently I bought a fedora for an indiana jones costume, not the full 5 1/4 crown, but a 4 1/4 and I rebashed it to resemble the movie. I've found that wearing it without the rest of the ensemble still can give it a very fedora look. If you tip the brim back a little bit and reveal more of your face, it makes you look very approachable and blends the hat in a bit more. Then if its sunny, or the wind picks up, you can grab the front of the brim and snug it onto your forehead.

I've always wanted a fedora. Obsessing over this costume allowed me to order one. I made sure to order a real one so I could use it outside of the costume and try to make it look not like a costume piece.

Its a Stetson Temple Wool Fedora in Mink. Here is a picture, I still have some Cairo dust on it.

View attachment 278247 View attachment 278248

I still don’t understand the point of this thread. The people on the Hat Forum at The Fedora Lounge like hats and like wearing them. We wear them for different reasons and we like different styles. “How we might get past the ‘hat phase’” just doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko