Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you try to wear a hat?

• Seamlessly

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • Formally

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • To stand out

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I don't care what people think

Votes: 31 86.1%

• Total voters

Dustin Hoeppner

New in Town
I still don’t understand the point of this thread. The people on the Hat Forum at The Fedora Lounge like hats and like wearing them. We wear them for different reasons and we like different styles. “How we might get past the ‘hat phase’” just doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.
I apologize. I read back through and I see that this has taken a turn.
I mean mostly that there is a dichotomy between hat wearers and not. And while many just continue forward headstrong, I merely aim to humbly acknowledge the division and devise a way to carry hats back into the mainstream if at all possible.

I don’t mean to imply that anyone on this forum has a hat problem. But the general world itself.

I’m a fairly utilitarian person and I prefer to use things in that manner. I believe hats can be very functional while achieving a stylish goal as well.

Let me know what you think.

I mean mostly that there is a dichotomy between hat wearers and not. And while many just continue forward headstrong, I merely aim to humbly acknowledge the division and devise a way to carry hats back into the mainstream if at all possible.

I don’t mean to imply that anyone on this forum has a hat problem. But the general world itself.

I’m a fairly utilitarian person and I prefer to use things in that manner. I believe hats can be very functional while achieving a stylish goal as well.

Well given that the folks on this forum are committed hat wearers (even some crossover from the leather jacket crowd!) you might have more varied input if you went on FB and asked NON hat wearers the why(s) of their position. I don't think the members of this forum 'continue forward headstrong' at all......we just continue forward wearing and enjoying our hats not wasting any energy navel gazing as to the why.

I’m not on a crusade to bring hats back into common use. Some people like them, some don’t. Those who like them sometimes learn about them and of course wear them...it’s not much more complicated than that.

I’d suggest that you stick around here and enjoy the ride without overthinking it. That’s just me.

Silver-Wolf

One of the Regulars
It's unlikely wearing a hat will return to the numbers of yesteryear, for most urban and city folks they have less need these days as so much time is spent protected in some way from the elements. We're always in vehicles and indoors, but for many as I was trying to say earlier hats are still mainstream or the "norm" if you like.

You go bush, country or outback here in Australia without a hat and your not only being foolish but you will be the odd person out as everyone else will be wearing one. Maybe not a dress fedora as such, heck even at the shopping center here I still see folks wearing hats, every 3rd person is wearing a baseball cap at a minimum.

Heck we even have Tv's add's run through summer periods reminding people to wear hats, long sleeve shirts and sun screen lotion. Slip-Slop-Slap it's known as, slip on a protective shirt, slop on some sun screen and slap on a hat before going outdoors. Started back in the 80's to remind modern folk the need for hats and sun protection. Sure is a lot of skin cancer clinics here.

Anyways, that's my take... I don't think hats ever left, just for a lot of folks and their lifestyles in modern times they aren't needed the same as in yesteryear. Some of those folks will still want to wear a hat even if it's not needed, and others who dislike hats will still need to wear them due to work or lifestyles.

M Brown

A-List Customer
Hat Phase? Wrong way to wear? Right way to wear? Huh?

I've been in a 'hat phase' for the past 60 years and no one has ever told me I'm wearing one wrong or right. Although I have received compliments on my hats..."Great hat"...etc. I wear what feels good for the day and whether or not it "completes my outfit" has never been part of the process. I'm headed out the door...I grab the one that suits my need for the day...bright sunshine? - Big Brim. Cold? - All beaver. And sometimes I grab one that hasn't been worn in a while, just for the heck of it.

If it color coordinates that's a plus but not necessary.

Grab a hat on the way out the door...wear it.

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

I have worn a hat of some kind 30 years. Mainly to deal with sun or cold. While I choose them with some care, I do not wear a hat for fashion or for looks and I do not collect them. I have about 8 felt hats a few Tilleys and 3 caps. They have a job to do in our very harsh climate. I consider a hat to be a tool.

GHT

I'll Lock Up

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I mean, I have the type of mind where I kind of enjoy unpacking things for the 'benefit' of ultimately pointless internet discussions (ask me about my hot Star Wars takes, lol), but I confess to still be stumped by this one.

The way to not wear a fedora with a suit and tie is...just not wearing a suit and tie. I know more than a few of us here will top off a hooded sweatshirt with a fedora. Viola! (just don't tell the folks in the suit and jacket threads :D)

Sure, I do try to match a hat to an outfit, and maybe I try on more than one before I head out the door. But really, wear 'em! Tilt it left, try it right, doff it back, pull it forward. There isn't a single, universal answer, because everyone has their own different answer. What looks effortless on one individual may not translate to another 1:1. We run the gamut from folks who enjoy wearing only 'Golden age' vintage to the hat/hoodie crowd.

I'm completely lost on the idea that the hat "blends" so well that "normal" folks don't notice it. One day when I was shopping at Target without a hat, one of the employees asked me where my hat was!

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I mean, I have the type of mind where I kind of enjoy unpacking things for the 'benefit' of ultimately pointless internet discussions (ask me about my hot Star Wars takes, lol), but I confess to still be stumped by this one.

The way to not wear a fedora with a suit and tie is...just not wearing a suit and tie. I know more than a few of us here will top off a hooded sweatshirt with a fedora. Viola! (just don't tell the folks in the suit and jacket threads :D)

Sure, I do try to match a hat to an outfit, and maybe I try on more than one before I head out the door. But really, wear 'em! Tilt it left, try it right, doff it back, pull it forward. There isn't a single, universal answer, because everyone has their own different answer. What looks effortless on one individual may not translate to another 1:1. We run the gamut from folks who enjoy wearing only 'Golden age' vintage to the hat/hoodie crowd.

I'm completely lost on the idea that the hat "blends" so we'll that "normal" folks don't notice it. One day when I was shopping at Target without a hat, one of the employees asked me where my hat was!

Nice summary. I don't own a hoodie or any active wear and I have worn a suit 3 or 4 times in 35 years. I generally wear my hats with what we used to call neat casuals. Cord, tweed or leather jacket. Usually my self-imposed 'uniform' of a black cotton shirt and dark trousers. I'm not sure if still own a tie. I need a brim of 2.5m to 3 inches against this harsh Aussie sun.

Midwest Wanderer

New in Town
Been wearing ballcaps every day for the past 9-10 years or so. Decided that I might as well invest in quality and durability. It’s just another accessory to an ever changing wardrobe. (Don’t get me wrong, I still love my old ratty ass ballcaps)

So, I took the plunge on a Campdraft and a Stratoliner Premier. I’m hooked and want more.

Since making the switch and incorporating felt hats into my wardrobe, Ive gotten compliments because hats simply suit me because I always am wearing a hat. Whenever I am outdoors, I have to have a hat on. I feel absolutely naked without a cover on. (Thanks, Navy)

Regardless of what others say or think (self included) At the end of the day, you do you, and do what makes you happy.

Dotneck

One of the Regulars
I try to match my hat color to my clothes...brown or tan hats with brown or earth toned outfits and brown shoes. Grey hats with Greyish or black clothes and black or brown shoes. That's about as far as my planning goes.

I'm retired now and wore suits or sport coats and ties for 35ish years or so and don't wear them any more. Now I'm a jeans and T-shirt guy (or shorts and T-shirts in the warmer months). Although I may dress up with a hawaiian shirt or some facsimile. And a fedora will top off any of those outfits. Felt in the cooler months (under 65f) and straws in the warmer months. I'm trying to figure our how to work a Homburg into a T-shirt and flip flops wardrobe.

Not sure if that's appropriate or not...others can decide...but I don't really care what they decide...

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
"I'm trying to figure our how to work a Homburg into a T-shirt and flip flops wardrobe."

Pull the front and rear down and the sides up to give it a western flare!

20200727_152412.jpg 20200727_152044.jpg

I try to match my hat color to my clothes...brown or tan hats with brown or earth toned outfits and brown shoes. Grey hats with Greyish or black clothes and black or brown shoes. That's about as far as my planning goes.

I'm retired now and wore suits or sport coats and ties for 35ish years or so and don't wear them any more. Now I'm a jeans and T-shirt guy (or shorts and T-shirts in the warmer months). Although I may dress up with a hawaiian shirt or some facsimile. And a fedora will top off any of those outfits. Felt in the cooler months (under 65f) and straws in the warmer months. I'm trying to figure our how to work a Homburg into a T-shirt and flip flops wardrobe.

Not sure if that's appropriate or not...others can decide...but I don't really care what they decide...

We used to have a member hear tht wore very nice Hommies with everything, and pulled it off pretty well. look for posts by @mmbarnes.

glider

A-List Customer
I have been complimented on a hat and replied that the person talking to me should get a hat. They almost always say that they don't look good in a hat, that really is a very common reply. Someone, perhaps there wife, has told them that and they believed them. I guess it does take a little confidence to wear a hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy