Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Would You Feel If...

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
...you were out doing something mundane, but had the vintage going on, and another female (a complete stranger) approached you in your endeavors and was just as crazy about vintage, also.

Would you be thrilled you found another "kindred spirit" or would you prefer to be left alone? Would you make the first move to talk to someone you suspect is into vintage?

I would be thrilled if I was approched. In my opinion, it doesn't happen enough! I also make it a point to try to speak to anyone I see with a vintage flair or if anyone mentions anything "vintage-y" when I'm out in public. I do enjoy dressing vintage as a way to connect with like-minded people, hoping they will notice and approach me. But that isn't the sole reason.

So?

Last edited:

BoPeep

Practically Family
I've been on both sides of this conversation. The girl who directed me to the FL (thank you hotrod_elf!) approached me at a car show. We didn't know each other at all, and her opening line was, "You're into vintage, aren't you?" lol I was the only girl at the show not wearing a black tshirt and jeans! We hit it off immediately. She was the first person I'd ever met who was into vintage the way I was. And then I found you all!

Since then I've been the one to make the first move. And like AmyJeanne, I will comment on anything (hair flowers, cat-eye makeup, box purses, whatever). I like to acknowledge and support the Rodeo Roses (hi!) and Annie Pancakes (hi!) out there who have such a defined style at such a young age. It's always exciting to meet people who are into the same thing, in any capacity.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I absolutely LOVE finding very young girls or "newbies." I've only found one -- her name was Caitlyn and I found her in a bar on NYE. lol I knew right away she was vintage-y, even though she had on jeans. Her Bettie Page hair gave her away. lol Later on in the night we were talking away and now FB friends. I had on skinny jeans and a Herman Munster t-shirt that night, but she said she could tell I was "vintage" from my glasses, makeup, hair, and my leopard print coat.

When it comes to vintage I somehow magically come out of my shell. Does this happen to anyone else?

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Oh, yeah. If someone compliments me it's a sure conversation starter. And just two weeks ago, I tracked a girl through a tattoo convention to tell her how much I loved her hair. I'm not shy about loving vintage, and if I can find a kindred spirit, game on! There's no such thing as too many friends or too many shopping buddies ;)

ETA: just last night I wore a vintage 50s party dress to a charity benefit, got tons of compliments, and ended up trading favorite vintage shopping spots with a mother/daughter pair, who swore they were headed to the place I bought the dress today to check it out! So much fun! Of course, the blue and gold macaw I was holding was a pretty good conversation starter, too ;) She matched the dress pretty well - you can't top an accessory like that...

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
In the fourteen years I've lived in this town, I've never once been approached in person by another vintage gal -- I don't believe there *are* any. But that doesn't stop me from encouraging anyone who shows the slightest flicker of interest -- I've talked to a lot of people about sewing, and tried very hard to encourage them to dismiss the idea that "it's too hard to do that."

I'm thinking what I really need to do is go house to house in search of potential converts. "Hi, I'd like to talk to you for a few moments about The Golden Era. Please accept this free 1937 issue of McCalls."

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I'm thinking what I really need to do is go house to house in search of potential converts. "Hi, I'd like to talk to you for a few moments about The Golden Era. Please accept this free 1937 issue of McCalls."

This had me giggling, but perhaps it's not a bad idea lol.

Thanks for the mention, BoPeep! I do worry that the Golden Era interest/lifestyle will die out soon; I mean, I've never met anyone remotely close to my age (18) who has any special interest in any aspect of vintage culture, be it old films, the clothes and style, or the music. It' making me kind of sad to think about it. Especially as the clothes are becoming more delicate and more rare, it seems inevitable the everyday vintage lifestyle we all love today won't be a realistic possibility for the next generation :(.

As for the original question (my, I got off-topic!): I sure would say something! Like I said, I've never had the privilege of meeting another girl with vintage style. I'm quite shy, but I would be so excited!! You know, I have never had a two-sided conversation about vintage style or classic movies in real life before either; I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
In the fourteen years I've lived in this town, I've never once been approached in person by another vintage gal -- I don't believe there *are* any. But that doesn't stop me from encouraging anyone who shows the slightest flicker of interest -- I've talked to a lot of people about sewing, and tried very hard to encourage them to dismiss the idea that "it's too hard to do that."

This is pretty much what it's like by me, too :) I love encouraging folks in learning sewing. Funnily enough, I find most kindred spirits in terms of vintage at the local quilt shop in town where vintage 30s quilting is rather popular. People here do like vintage items but don't really dress in vintage fashion.
There was one other gal into vintage that worked at a local fabric store, and after she left I think I found her selling vintage on Etsy. We haven't really crossed paths in several years, but when we did we always said hi.
The only other times I've passed by people wearing vintage was when I worked in the city I was in modern clothes and I was too shy to go up and say hi. :eek:

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've never met anyone in real life, either. If I ever do get the pleasure to meet any of you personally (or another vintage gal) I'd probably scare you away I'd get so excited. The words would not come out logically and I'd blubber. :p You're all warned.

I live in a city of about 250,000 people, with the suburbs. I did once see a young woman walking on the side of the highway with cateyes and a circle skirt with a cardigan about 3 years ago, and I was tempted to pull over and speak to her. But then I thought about how freaked out I would get if a stranger pulled over and ran out of their car at me while I was walking along in an "ok" part of the city. So I didn't do it. But I was tempted. I did wave like a crazy person, from my car as I drove by.

When I do get compliments (particularly people with children) I try to tell them about what I am wearing, so that if they are interested, they can do some research online- and I figure that is good for kids to learn some mild history. (For instance, this hat is from the late 1940s, etc.)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Haha -- I don't think I'd go as far as pull over in my car to talk to a vintage soul! If it happened to me, that is the one instance I might be a little freaked out lol But if I'm in the grocery store, please come up to me. This is my invitation. Hehe. ;) I don't care if you are in "modern" clothes (MISS LAUREN!) -- it's the spirit that matters! And just for the record, yes, if I was in modern clothes but saw a vintage gal I would approach her. :D

There is a new gal that started at my work. Her name is Eliza. She wears modern clothing, but from the moment I saw her I KNEW she was "vintage." I have good vintage-dar. lol So one day I asked her and indeed she told me "I like the 40s, but I'm afraid to wear the clothes here."

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I haven't noticed anyone else wearing vintage on the streets of Dublin which I think is really odd as I thought you'd find one or two about. The only time I have seen some element of vintage wear was at a vintage fair I went to last year and I was practically the only person (apart from one or two girls who were doing vintage make-up demos) there dressed in vintage. I would love to find someone else who was into vintage as much as me - and like Amy Jeanne's new pal I think there are so many ladies out there who love the look but don't have the confidence to wear it - which is a real shame.

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
I often meet rockabilly type girls, who mostly wear modern rockabilly labels rather than vintage, but they often appreciate the vintage style, even though most girls I meet don't know anything about vintage. I've never really met anyone who likes vintage on the same level as me! I'd love to talk to someone else who's into vintage and I'd be really excited if I was approached! It would be lovely if someone came up and appreciated the things I'm wearing and knew what they were!
If I saw someone else vintagey I think I'd go up and say hi, depending on the situation! I was in a rockabilly pub once in London and there were some gorgeous vintage girls there, but it seemed quite clique-y and I was too shy to talk to any of them :eek:

I'm moving up to Nottingham in about three weeks and they have a few more things going on there - vintage shops, swing dancing, burlesque, etc so I'm expecting (hoping!) to meet some other vintage enthusiasts!

Kiri

One of the Regulars
I imagine I'd be delighted! But like most of you, I've never met anyone else who's into vintage. Living in a tiny town probably doesn't help either.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I don't care if you are in "modern" clothes (MISS LAUREN!) -- it's the spirit that matters! And just for the record, yes, if I was in modern clothes but saw a vintage gal I would approach her. :D

I should be more like this. I'm a bit introverted already- and hearing vintage folks over the years talk down about other ways of dressing made me a bit self conscious, I guess. [huh] But I can't expect everyone's going to be like that.

Puzzicato

One Too Many

I'd invite you in for coffee and a piece of cake.

How I felt about that kind of approach would pretty much depend on what kind of day I was having. Some days I am so far inside my own head that I resent any intrusions. Other days I am more open and would welcome it, or would make an approach.

Tuesday_Next

Familiar Face
If someone came to my door offering me a free copy of 1937 McCalls, I think I faint from the shock.

As for approaching vintage-y folks, I've only had one occasion when someone commented on my outfit because they "got it" and I've been too nervous to go back and talk to him for fear of looking like a crazy stalker lady. He seemed like the type to collect vintage radios and read copious amount of crime thrillers. He works in my office building so I'm hoping to bump into him again someday.

Marla

A-List Customer
I would welcome the opportunity to talk to a fellow vintage girl--even if I am running late somewhere! Older women (not in vintage) frequently approach me, but I've never talked to another vintage dresser (woman or man) in person. Once in an antique store I saw a young woman dressed in a 1950s cowgirl look and I was wearing all vintage too. We were both so shocked we just stared at each other, and I was too dumbfounded to say anything! :eusa_doh:

Anytime I'm in public I subconsciously scan for anyone in vintage. My general demeanor is very reserved, but if I saw someone I would approach them.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
There's a goth saleslady at my fabric store who, while isn't into vintage, really enjoys talking about my projects, the patterns I bring in, my hair, ect. I love it!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I love talking to people about vintage. I get lots of complements on my vintage style but I have not run into many people who dress this way also. When I do I think I scare them off with my enthusiasm. :D

There are a lot of ladies here I would love to meet. I may take a cross country tour if I ever win the lottery. I'll bring sewing patterns to swap and cute vintage dresses that don't fit me anymore.

Last edited:

LinaSofia

A-List Customer
It just struck me reading these comments - kudos to us for doing what we like even though no one else around us is "vintage"! :) :cheer2:

shopgirl61

A-List Customer
I look differant so i'm used to being asked questions all the time :rolleyes:
But i've been complimented when I look even more unique by wearing vintage, whether it be in clothing, make-up, hair... but most always its my lil wallets and purses that do it!
I've seasoned well with my age and disposition to the point that if caught off guard or on... i'll happily answer questions ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo