Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Would You Feel If...

McVolke

New in Town
Hello to all, I've been reading the Fedora Lounge for a while now and this is my first post. I have to say a great big yes to giving a total stranger a complement. I'm an american living in Germany and of course at first I didn't know anyone. I decided to go to a rockabilly club to see Ruby Ann (amazing!) and because I complimented one lady I then met her friends and now when I go there is always a familar face. Compliments work for more than just vintage too, I noticed a lady wearing a bat (the animal not baseball) pendant and for the last 3 years I help out in a bat rehab station and for me it's a dream come true.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Ok so last night I took my kids out to dinner as my husband had another engagement I decided we should do something fun too. Our waitress commented on my hair and I found myself telling her to go to Youtube and look at Lisa Freemontstreet. She did not look vintage but she was at work and well I don't really dress vintage at my job either. I don't mind others asking me and in fact a women I don't know very well asked me to help her with her hair for an even coming up called retrorama and I was very flattered and will contact her to help her although I have only played with my own hair so not sure how much help I will be but i will give it my best shot.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LD = Whuuuuut? What does you size have to do with anything? How weird to say that to someone. I would never.

Yeah, I know, right? For some reason I get people constantly who seem to feel they can say controversial (racial, size, gender) things to me but laud it off with a, "You understand what I mean, right?" Or from some others I get people who seem as if they are anxious to say that stuff to me, like its an icebreaker of sorts. An easy way to relate to me. Like I think about my size, race or being a girl every single second of my life.

I kind of *do* grasp the crassness of what they are saying, or perhaps the nervousness in which they are saying it, but what gets me flummoxed is if these people think Im smarter or stupider in my lack of reaction or 'understanding' to their comments. lol

I don't think even I've figured that one out yet!

LD

coble

A-List Customer
I think i'm the only guy posting on this blog. But as a guy who loves the vintage look, and wears vintage hats and clothes. I'd like to comment and say, i feel the same way. I live in houston, and there's only been once where i've seen someone in a fedora downtown, but out in the suburbs, it doesn't happen.
At least i don't see it. I look around all the time hoping to see someone in a nice vintage hat, or vintage clothing. I do think it be great to meet someone else in person, and i do actually get that chance this week. When i meet with Bob Jessee of blacksheep hatworks, and just a note, he makes ladies hats as well. I get the great honor to get the hat he made me in person, something him and i have been discussing for 5 months, and its now done. But the idea of meeting someone else into the same type of thing is mind boggling.
I will have to post again, and tell you ladies what it was like. But, i just want you ladies to know its the same with the men, its hard to find someone else into the vintage look.
Theres a guy at work who joked with me about my irish cap, and later came up to me and asked where i got it. I gave him all the hat makers and custom makers i could. He told me thanks, and said, he's liked them he just didn't know where to go to buy a nice one or one that fits him style wise. I feel people are interested, they just don't know where to go to find the items there looking for. I love the fedora lounge for this, its a way to help others find what they'd been searching for, or question they have on the subject.
To the question, i'd approach a guy, or girl any age into the classic style, i say why not, you may find a new friend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn