Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Would You Feel If...

BoPeep

Practically Family
If I ever do get the pleasure to meet any of you personally (or another vintage gal) I'd probably scare you away I'd get so excited. The words would not come out logically and I'd blubber. :p You're all warned.

lol Me too!

There's a goth saleslady at my fabric store who, while isn't into vintage, really enjoys talking about my projects, the patterns I bring in, my hair, ect. I love it!

Don't worry, you can bring her over to the Dark Side. lol

shazzabanazza

Practically Family
I would be thrilled if someone approched me :) Im not sure if Id go upto someone though, depends what kind of mood Im in..I can be a little shy sometimes

Romy Overdorp

One of the Regulars
I know a lot of girls in the rockabilly scene, but they never wear vintage.
They rather spend a ridiculous amount of money on a dress that everyone can order as well.
So they are not really unique in their style, if you know what I mean.

I was browsing around the internet and found the lounge and I was so thrilled to find all these nice people here who are into vintage. At first I thought well, all these gals probably live in the USA and not in Holland.
But then I found out that there are gals here from Holland as well who are into vintage! I must say that there are many girls here in Holland who are into vintage but it's more 80's sweater/dresses style or hippie. 40's and 50's is not so common in our thrift stores.

So my answer would be: yes I would be thrilled and start the conversation. Maybe I'll get a friend out of it! :D

Tatum

Practically Family
Oh wow, I would be excited if I just randomly met another vintage soul. I have this ridiculous tendency to smile really bright at people who stare at me, I don't know if it would encourage or discourage someone to approach me. I also compliment people on stuff, like telling someone random at the bank that I love their sweater if I do.

The best vintage thing that happened to me this year was becoming friends with Gracie Lee, even if it involves a wee bit of driving! :)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
My boyfriend and I have met a few really nice people into the 1930s recently through wearing vintage clothes out and about. He met a couple who live a few villages away at the Tweed Run Bike Ride in London, who I haven't had a chance to meet yet, it was so recent! They were amazed to find people lived so close were into the same thing. My boyfriend was happy because the chap works at Brooklands, the famous Pre-War car racing track, and we have just become members of the club there. One of those funny co-incidences in life.

I got talking to an older couple who literally live round the corner from us when they stopped to look at my 1936 Austin Seven as I was parked outside the Fish and Chip shop on a Friday night, and we got chatting. They love the style and we went round yesterday to see them and had a very pleasant afternoon. They are restoring a 1930s caravan and again, were so pleased to meet a like minded couple.

Basically, I'm not shy and I'll talk to anyone. If I like someone's style, I'll go up to them and say, if the circumstances allow it! My boyfriend is much more retiring. Sometimes I have to go and say something for him. :)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I will not hesitate to talk to someone about vintage if I'm picking it up on my vintage-dar lol That is one area where I am not so shy. I remember going to Reading Air Show last year and all shyness was GONE. DISAPPEARED. Never felt so liberated, to be honest. I was talking to EVERYONE.

One place I encountered some snobbery was at the Philly Tattoo Convention a few years ago. My husband and I were getting side eyed and giggled at. lol Still don't understand it to this day lol lol lol We haven't returned. Reading, though, we'll be there!!

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
The best vintage thing that happened to me this year was becoming friends with Gracie Lee, even if it involves a wee bit of driving! :)

Totally worth the drive! I always enjoy the time we spend together!

Amy Jeanne- where are you in Philly? That's where my bf lives these days, so I get into town every so often. Would be fun to match up and do a bit of vintage shopping or tea or something! I've found some shops I want to check out, but he's not having it :p

(ETA: see? not shy. I worry that I scare people off sometimes, too.)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I live near Chestnut Hill! Still, only a 10 or so minute drive from Center City :) My husband isn't really into the "vintage" shop, either. The ones in Philly aren't that great, though. We can go to NEW JERSEY! Good stuff and dirt cheap (no hipsters to price it up!) :D

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I have come across some bloggers but there doesn't seem to be any sort of scene. If you want to meet others, your best shot would be the swing dances at the Glen Echo Ballroom.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
My sister and I always talk to a bunch of people at Retro Rama. I guess that's the place for it. It's really a lot of fun. I can't wait for this years event.

Patricia Lynn

New in Town
I should be more like this. I'm a bit introverted already

I know what you mean. I actually thought I saw you at the Long Beach Antique Fair a couple months back, but since I wasn't posting on the Lounge yet, I didn't want to feel like a stalker. It was almost like I saw a celebrity. "Oh, is that her? I think I recognize her". Felt rather awkward. Now of course if you say you weren't at the Long Beach Antique Fair, I really will feel silly. ;)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Oh how funny!! I was actually there a few months ago! It would have been fun to meet in person!

Last edited:

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
I would be thrilled to meet another kindred spirit. I dress vintage or vintage inspired most of the time except at work as I have to wear a uniform(still wear vintage makeup and hair though) and I feel pretty lonely at times. Its not the staring or sometimes strange looks I get that bothers me, its mainly the fact I've never seen anyone wearing vintage in my town except a few rockabilly girls that were wearing repo clothing. I would love to have a friend or friends to share vintage shopping and hair and makeup tips discussions etc. I know a lot of nice people but they don't really "get me", they think that its a tad weird that I prefer objects,clothes and music from another era. I have always preferred vintage from when I was young but its only the last few years that I have found the courage to live in a way that makes me happy. Thanks goodness I have a understanding hubby that though isnt totally into vintage himself, likes the way I dress and is encouraging and thank goodness for the Fedora Lounge! A place I can go to anytime and feel at home. :)

Octavia

Familiar Face
Gosh, this doesn't happen to me enough. I've known a lot of people who appreciate the way I dress but don't really like it if that makes sense. Despite my shyness, I always try to speak up if I notice someone wearing any kind of vintage flair, but I've never seen anyone in my area in full-on vintage, hair and all. I've only been approached by another vintage lover once - an employee in the store "Free People." She wasn't dressed vintage that day, but she approached me and totally pinpointed the era I was going for. We had a short conversation about both liking everything from victorian fashion to 60's fashion. It was fabulous. Save for that instance, I've never met a kindred spirit. I'd adore having someone to share my obsession with, but I have to wholeheartedly agree with Lindabelle. It's nice to have a place like this to come to. =P

Last edited:

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
Pittsburgh doesn't seem to have a big scene. And I don't always dress vintage. I dress vintage like almost all the time but not vintage every day. My BFF LOVES vintage but she mainly collects vintage purses. She and I have been thrifting since we were in high school so she is one of the few who 'get' me.

My other BFF in MN gets me too but she doesn't dress vintage. Although---we both agree that we are going to Viva next year so we can be with our flock and get to know some people who enjoy it like we do.

I'd love it if someone said something to me about my clothes etc. Older ladies have said things and gentlemen (esp about the stockings) but that's it.

scarlett

One of the Regulars
I would welcome another vintage enthusiast approaching me. I am often browsing at the Long Beach Flea Market @ Veteran's Stadium along with my husband. If you ladies ever see me there, please say Hi, and I will keep an eye open for you too. I'm not sure if I would approach a total stranger, sometimes I'm shy.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I get approached on occasion by gals. I don't consider myself an authority in this stuff in the slightest, but I'm always wearing it, so I often get stares. Also gals are shocked I do it because of my size. Pishaw! I say. Im so comfortable in it, I don't know another way to dress.
I've helped a lot of my vintage friends tweak their looks. Then off I send them into the world :biggrin: But when people ask me about my style I tell them I don't just try the looks with laziness, I try to get them right.

LD

Patricia Lynn

New in Town
I would welcome another vintage enthusiast approaching me. I am often browsing at the Long Beach Flea Market @ Veteran's Stadium along with my husband. If you ladies ever see me there, please say Hi, and I will keep an eye open for you too. I'm not sure if I would approach a total stranger, sometimes I'm shy.

I'll be on the lookout!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
LD = Whuuuuut? What does you size have to do with anything? How weird to say that to someone. I would never. Actually, ever since I've become and admirer of vintage fashions I don't even really look at "size" anymore. Just the overall look and carriage of the wearer. Age is not a factor, either. I will talk to a teenager just getting into the look or the elderly woman who hasn't let go! :D And I've talked to both! I've never had anyone tell me to get lost -- it's all be very positive. I'm happy that a lot of girls here would love to have a stranger approach them, but disappointed that a lot of you are shy! C'mon girls!! ;)

Would anyone prefer to be left alone? I'd like to hear your side if you are out there!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran