Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Howard Hughes' jacket photograph - 7 November 1947 - What is it?

Naphtali

Practically Family
In a 02-09-2008 thread started by Garrett in HATS Forum, titled Howard Hughes, RBH, in series of photographs originally from Dixon, is one of howard Hughes leaving his airplane in Washington, D.C. to probably respond to a subpoena to testify at Congressional hearings. Hughes is wearing his fedora and a bomber-type jacket I cannot identify. It appears to be leather with dark fur/sheep wool collar and appears to have dark fur/sheep wool lining (or it might be storm flap). I has two slash pockets, full zipper, no wool knit sleeve cuffs, no wool knit at the bottom. While my first thought was an ANJ-4, it cannot be with its pockets.

What is that jacket?

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
In a 02-09-2008 thread started by Garrett in HATS Forum, titled Howard Hughes, RBH, in series of photographs originally from Dixon, is one of howard Hughes leaving his airplane in Washington, D.C. to probably respond to a subpoena to testify at Congressional hearings. Hughes is wearing his fedora and a bomber-type jacket I cannot identify. It appears to be leather with dark fur/sheep wool collar and appears to have dark fur/sheep wool lining (or it might be storm flap). I has two slash pockets, full zipper, no wool knit sleeve cuffs, no wool knit at the bottom. While my first thought was an ANJ-4, it cannot be with its pockets.

What is that jacket?

I presume you are speaking of this jacket.
HRH_.jpg

It might have been this jacket, from 10 years earlier, but you can see the pockets under the coveralls.
article-0-12B2F01E000005DC-829_634x566.jpg

Could have been a custom jacket he had made to fly in bi-planes years earlier.

Cheers!

Dan

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Doubt it. Sleeves are way too short, like all off the rack clothing Hughes bought. He was six ft four a giant in that time.

At that time the leather bomber was as common as a nylon windbreaker today.

Naphtali

Practically Family
I presume you are speaking of this jacket.
HRH_.jpg

Could have been a custom jacket he had made to fly in bi-planes years earlier.

Cheers!

Dan
Dan:

This is the jacket. I think it's a pleasing design as it appear to be a good fit for him. . . . So what is it?
Parenthetically, when I was a teenager and under the influence of my brother's friend, Ike Levy, I owned all long play albums of "I Can Hear It Now." In one for post-war America was an audio of Howard Hughes at a Congressional hearing. He was asked whether he could have one of his staff return for more testimony. Hughes, after responding at length that the man had been before the hearings committee "for unlimited testimony," Hughes was asked again whether he would have the man return for more. Hughes responded, "No. I don't think I will." And that is chutzpah that I only dream I had.

Last edited:

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Napthali-

The jacket in that photo looks a lot like an Air Associates. They made civil aviation flight suits with separate jacket and trousers; he may be wearing just the jacket there. Of course there were many other flight gear makers at that time but that's my best guess.

Great photo by the way!

Noel

Edward

Bartender
Definitely a civilian jacket, though reminiscent of a B2 design, imo - imagine it without the handwarmer pockets, and add in the one-of, button-down pocket on one side....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points