Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Howard Hughes

Jay

Practically Family
Jeez, right there, "Arrival for Hearing." Not to mention the sharp outfit. I should have known... Thanks Naphtali

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
RBH said:
HRHandplane.jpg

Notice that the Amazing Mr Hughes does not have a belt on.

Of course not. Not wearing a belt was clearly the way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future. The way of the future . . .

(Yes, I recycled my joke from an earlier Hughes thread, because, well, I can! :p )

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's my version of that 'look'.

Naphtali said:
The photograph of him arriving for HUAC hearings is what nearly all male members of the Fedora Lounge would like to emulate. And by the way, his last HUAC public interrogation was a doozy, giving new meaning to the word chutzpah.

2.jpg

Love that fur collar on the A-2.

renor27

One of the Regulars
HH and a high crown

I really like the fact that his hats had such a high crown.
As a tall guy like HH though am a bit larger around the waist then he was durning the golden age the fact that he had his hats made the way that he did means I can copy them . Now just have to have the Money to have Art make one for me in that style.
David

59 Blue Bomber

New in Town
Fredthecat said:
So what Brands and models and colours are the hats Hughes is wearing in the photos?
I don't see an answer regarding this...They don't look like Strat's (band is too thin) in the pics, are they Whippet's perhaps?

I'd like to ask the people at the Spruce Goose exhibit what is the make and model of the hat?! In the film "The Aviator" HH burns his clothes and has his assistant buy a whole new wardrobe from one o the stores like Sears or JC Pennys. If they went to Pennys maybe it's a Marathon.

JC Pennys had their hats made for them and they tend to be pretty swell hats. The bluish fedora Jeff Bridges wears in Seabiscuit is a Marathon supplied by Art Fawcett if I remember right.

59 Blue Bomber

New in Town
The hat in question is in fact the real deal. It never made it to auction per se. I contacted the Gentleman who owns it and he even let me hold it. I promptly began to repeat myself and had an acute desire to burn my clothes! What a sight and feeling it was to hold an actual piece piece of wardrobe from the man himself. This by far trumps sitting in Hughes' seat in the H-1 Hercules (I, too, detest the name Spruce Goose) after hours and was also allowed to go inside the wings of this mammoth aircraft. Anyhow..The hat did not sell and it is for sale with, ahem..a starting "bid" of $20,000, to even be considered. I was very close to tapping the 401(k) to make an "offer", but that was shot down faster than Howard asking Eva Gardner to marry him! I tried, I really did, but we can't have it all, I guess!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
8panelnewsboy