Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Howdy from Georgia

Pater Familias

Familiar Face
Howdy. New member from South Georgia. Looking to buy my first real felt fedora.

I'm a stay-at-home Dad and acoustic musician. Play a lot of old-time music and want to start sporting a little more period stage-wear reminiscent of Depression-era Deep South.

Thinking I'd like a Stetson Temple or Hornets Adventurer.

I really love the look of this Art Fawcett hat - Sportaire
Sportaire_2.jpg

But in this color and raw brim edge.
Wall%20Street_A_1.jpg

Mike

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
A Stetson Temple or Hornets Adventurer aren't bad hats by any means, but an Art Fawcett hat is of course better hands down. The cost is more, but as an investment in something you'll have for a long time it's probably worth it. Welcome here of course. Do you wear suits or other appropriate Depression Era clothing?

Pater Familias

Familiar Face
avedwards said:
A Stetson Temple or Hornets Adventurer aren't bad hats by any means, but an Art Fawcett hat is of course better hands down. The cost is more, but as an investment in something you'll have for a long time it's probably worth it. Welcome here of course. Do you wear suits or other appropriate Depression Era clothing?

Not suits really. More for the look like I came in from the back 40 threw on my old jacket/blazer and came to play some clawhammer banjo.

animator

One of the Regulars
Just call Art. He is incredibly helpful and fun to talk to. You would treasure any hat he makes.

The hats are more than worth the wait!

Welcome, Mike, from somebody who grew up on Lake Blackshear roaming all over the area from Albany to Cordele to Americus to Ellaville to Fort Valley...
I got a VS custom from Art & from getting his measuring device to completed hat wasn't too bad of a wait at all, well worth it.
Is that his Sahara color?

jwalls

Vendor
WELCOME I grew up in Georgia, so it's nice to see another Southerner in the group. Speaking of Albany, gtdean,do they still pronounce it in the old style. ALL BENNY';) ;)

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Pater Familias said:
I'm a stay-at-home Dad and acoustic musician. Play a lot of old-time music and want to start sporting a little more period stage-wear reminiscent of Depression-era Deep South.

That's neat. I play old time fiddle--I know some old Georgia tunes too! Part of my family are from Georgia--going all the way back to the Civil War.

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome sir! The Temple is a nice hat. I have one in black and would not hesitate , but you may well find a more vintage model that suits your style on e-bay, if you are confident in your size and choose carefully. Otherwise Mr. Fawcett makes beautiful hats. Good luck.

texashatman

Familiar Face
I recently bought a new Stetson Temple and I love it. I'm pretty new here too and have really enjoyed finding a group like this. I thought I was the only one into hats! Welcome.

marvelgoose

One of the Regulars
I'm just down the road in Valdosta. We have the Last Hahira Pickin' coming up this weekend, are you playing?

If you are wanting a year round felt hat to wear in South Georgia you should look for the lighter colors, lighter felts, and have the liner taken out. Art has a light felt and the Borsalino's and Akruba's are also light weight. Borasalio was a lighter, cheaper felt that was in wide use in the 30's (not cheaper NOW with the exchange rate!) and I believe the Alessandria style harks from that era.

I don't know if a Federation IV is light enough for our summers -- IndyCop can speak to that living in Jacksonville. My Stylemaster in Acorn is light enough to be bearable in 80 degrees with the liner.

I do know that the denser Imperial Stetsons are just too darn hot to wear until October - I have a Nostalgia and a Chatham.

All that said, you need at least two. A lightweight felt and a straw. I have a cheap Ecuadorian straw in Fedora style with ventilation from St Augustine Hat Co and it is what I go to when we get into the 99 degree days with 90+ r/h. When it is so hot to sweat through the straw, I go for the cheap hat. My icon is a Christie straw with a 3 inch brim that I limit to evenings!

Are you getting the idea that hats are like stringed instruments? It is hard just to have one!

As for the pronunciation of Albany. WALB-TV cuts it down the middle with some station ID's saying Allbenny and some for All'-bun-E.:p

indycop

I'll Lock Up
marvelgoose said:
I don't know if a Federation IV is light enough for our summers -- IndyCop can speak to that living in Jacksonville. My Stylemaster in Acorn is light enough to be bearable in 80 degrees with the liner.
I wear my felts year round so it doesn't bother me, if it does get warm you can always remove the liner. If you want the authentic depression worker look then some good sweat will help.;) :D

Pater Familias

Familiar Face
gtdean48 said:
Welcome, Mike, from somebody who grew up on Lake Blackshear roaming all over the area from Albany to Cordele to Americus to Ellaville to Fort Valley...
I got a VS custom from Art & from getting his measuring device to completed hat wasn't too bad of a wait at all, well worth it.
Is that his Sahara color?

Thanks for all the warm welcomes fellas. So many hats but only one head!

What's the hat in your avatar pic Deputy Swoopy?

Also have to come to Atlanta next Tues to swap amplifiers. Are there any good shops up there where I might potentially find a good fedora?

Pater Familias said:
What's the hat in your avatar pic Deputy Swoopy?

Also have to come to Atlanta next Tues to swap amplifiers. Are there any good shops up there where I might potentially find a good fedora?
That is a Stetson 100 (basically an Open Road style).
The one place where that Atlanta PD Hat squad gets their lids is = http://www.theexecutiveshop.com/
I shop online & there is a western shop near me that has a few Beaver Brand fedoras =
http://www.sackettsonline.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner