Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

https://bernardhats.com/hat-companies/cavanagh-hats/

Harlemraggz

New in Town
Regarding Style not changing from the 1920s to the 1950s, that is categorically False.

Regarding your "article" posted about Mr. Cavanagh (which I suspect is just text ripped from Wikipedia or some other web site), how is that even relevant?

So your selling strategy is "I'll Fleece you if I can" ?

As a dealer who knows with 35 plus yrs Experience, I would think you should have a clear Understanding of your Target Mkt. Listing a 6-7/8 stingy brim from the late 50s or early 60s for $350 on this forum shows a clear lack of Understanding of your Target Mkt.

Then why list this Hat for sale for $350?

Can you please elaborate beyond circular referencing your ripped text above on the Where, Who, and What this hat came from? My understanding is that this hat likely came from the northeast, under the Cavanagh line (though by this time part of the Hat Corporation of America conglomerate), and was made of rabbit fur.

This statement makes no sense. It has nothing to do with Modern Technology.

All that being said, it is a Free mkt economy and you are welcome to list your hat for sale for whatever you Wish. Blowing smoke up people's a***es, however, is probably not the best way to go about trying to make a Sale on this forum. Your Classifieds Buyer more than likely has a very good Understanding of the Value of the good(s) being sold (Frunos valuation is spot on, btw). See comment above about Understanding Target Mkt.

Perhaps eBay or another selling platform would be better suited to find a potential Buyer. If eBay, I suggest you check out sawinokur8083 and Dad's Collection. I think you two would get along Fabulously.

(NOTE: Words randomly abbreviated and/or capitalized done on purpose.)
Post in thread 'A HISTORY OF HATMAKING IN NORWALK CONN.'
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/a-history-of-hatmaking-in-norwalk-conn.39624/post-807186

Harlemraggz

New in Town

Regarding Style not changing from the 1920s to the 1950s, that is categorically False.

Regarding your "article" posted about Mr. Cavanagh (which I suspect is just text ripped from Wikipedia or some other web site), how is that even relevant?

So your selling strategy is "I'll Fleece you if I can" ?

As a dealer who knows with 35 plus yrs Experience, I would think you should have a clear Understanding of your Target Mkt. Listing a 6-7/8 stingy brim from the late 50s or early 60s for $350 on this forum shows a clear lack of Understanding of your Target Mkt.

Then why list this Hat for sale for $350?

Can you please elaborate beyond circular referencing your ripped text above on the Where, Who, and What this hat came from? My understanding is that this hat likely came from the northeast, under the Cavanagh line (though by this time part of the Hat Corporation of America conglomerate), and was made of rabbit fur.

This statement makes no sense. It has nothing to do with Modern Technology.

All that being said, it is a Free mkt economy and you are welcome to list your hat for sale for whatever you Wish. Blowing smoke up people's a***es, however, is probably not the best way to go about trying to make a Sale on this forum. Your Classifieds Buyer more than likely has a very good Understanding of the Value of the good(s) being sold (Frunos valuation is spot on, btw). See comment above about Understanding Target Mkt.

Perhaps eBay or another selling platform would be better suited to find a potential Buyer. If eBay, I suggest you check out sawinokur8083 and Dad's Collection. I think you two would get along Fabulously.

(NOTE: Words randomly abbreviated and/or capitalized done on purpose.)
Okay you Win…

I think, I’ve been misunderstood. It’s my fault I apologize…
This post was just a friendly post to really share my eye and collection.
Selling was not a top priority I have a site for that.
I will edit this post and make it clear.
Cheers

I think it came across as you wanting to lecture the experts on their own subject. Your asking price is also so much above what those hats sell for that it seemed like a scam.

I think you might have used an excerpt from Brad aka The Hatted Professor to relate that Cavanagh hats can be hard to date as they maintained a similar look over a long period. This is true, but the proportions and style of your hat look solidly 1960s to me, but maybe late ‘50s….but I don’t think so. In any case, it’s not a style, proportions, size, or age that gets us excited. I buy a couple hundred vintage hats a year and I wouldn’t be interested in that hat at any price due to its size and style, and because it’s from a time when US hat quality was in steep decline. It’s not a great vintage hat in style or quality.

A lot of us spend a great deal of time researching hats and scouring the vintage market for them. Your posts seemed like someone who knew little about hats who was trying to sell a cheap hat for a huge amount and justifying the way above market price in the name of nostalgia.

If this had been in the classifieds you probably would have had a couple comments regarding the price and that’s it. As you posted in the hat forum and advertised a grossly overpriced not-so-great hat you are going to get some pushback.

Harlemraggz

New in Town
I think it came across as you wanting to lecture the experts on their own subject. Your asking price is also so much above what those hats sell for that it seemed like a scam.

I think you might have used an excerpt from Brad aka The Hatted Professor to relate that Cavanagh hats can be hard to date as they maintained a similar look over a long period. This is true, but the proportions and style of your hat look solidly 1960s to me, but maybe late ‘50s….but I don’t think so. In any case, it’s not a style, proportions, size, or age that gets us excited. I buy a couple hundred vintage hats a year and I wouldn’t be interested in that hat at any price due to its size and style, and because it’s from a time when US hat quality was in steep decline. It’s not a great vintage hat in style or quality.

A lot of us spend a great deal of time researching hats and scouring the vintage market for them. Your posts seemed like someone who knew little about hats who was trying to sell a cheap hat for a huge amount and justifying the way above market price in the name of nostalgia.

If this had been in the classifieds you probably would have had a couple comments regarding the price and that’s it. As you posted in the hat forum and advertised a grossly overpriced not-so-great hat you are going to get some pushback.
No Problem,
I’m truly not here trying to make money…
I like to associate with people who have the same likes and passion for Vintage Hats & Clothing as I do..
Member since 2014

Thanks

No Problem,
I’m truly not here trying to make money…
I like to associate with people who have the same likes and passion for Vintage Hats & Clothing as I do..
Member since 2014

Thanks

Sounds good to me. I sell and trade a lot of hats so I don’t begrudge you trying to make some money if you decide to. That was never an issue.

You are certainly in the right place if you want to be around folks who appreciate vintage hats. I’ve been here for some years and I’ve handled a lot of hats, but I’m still in the shallow end of the pool compared to some of the contributors here. I hope you can share more of your collection with us at your convenience.

Harlemraggz

New in Town
Sounds good to me. I sell and trade a lot of hats so I don’t begrudge you trying to make some money if you decide to. That was never an issue.

You are certainly in the right place if you want to be around folks who appreciate vintage hats. I’ve been here for some years and I’ve handled a lot of hats, but I’m still in the shallow end of the pool compared to some of the contributors here. I hope you can share more of your collection with us at your convenience.
Thank you I Appreciate it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails