Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HUFVUD HATMAKER | Lund, Sweden

EinarsM

Vendor
A question. What, if any, is the story behind the name "Ragnar" for this hat? I think it may be my favorite style/variation.

Happy you asked! I based my hat collection on Viking Names from history. RAGNAR comes from Ragnar Lothbrok. A famous viking who fought with England. Some names actually comes from family, such as SVEN and IVAR. The Indiana Jones Adventure hat that I craft is named after the Viking Leifur "the lucky" Eriksson, who happened to discover America way before Columbus.

I did have the names in mind, before the Vikings TV-series came out on History Channel. But it helped with some extra inspiration. My Ancestry goes back to the first king of Norway, Harald Finehair, therefore my company name is Hufvud af Harald, The Head of Harald. He had a couple of ba***rd children, among them a woman who fled to Iceland and became my family line. I have, unfortunately, no claim to the throne today.

Ragnar was the first hat style that I made and its the most develop hat of them all. It has change a lot over the years to look the way it does today. It's intended to be made with a slightly wider brim than the rest, at 2 3/4 inch compare to the 2 1/2 inch I make for most hats. Though, everything can be customized to fit your desired look.

JakeHacker

New in Town
Thank you for the background information. I often find that additional information can be an inexpensive added value helping to appreciate and adding depth to ones consideration of any object. Many of my other purchases have arrived with a little card or pamphlet summarizing the history and making of the item. I certainly appreciate your help, time, and consideration in providing me with the opportunity to further understand this "behind the scenes" aspect of your craft. You have been very kind.

Long live Ragnar, long live the king.

EinarsM

Vendor
Thank you for the background information. I often find that additional information can be an inexpensive added value helping to appreciate and adding depth to ones consideration of any object. Many of my other purchases have arrived with a little card or pamphlet summarizing the history and making of the item. I certainly appreciate your help, time, and consideration in providing me with the opportunity to further understand this "behind the scenes" aspect of your craft. You have been very kind.

Long live Ragnar, long live the king.

You are welcome! I appreciate that you ask. There is a story behind everything and every hat style.

That's a very good idea. I currently don't include deeper information regarding my hats when they ship out. It's definitely something I wish to include.

I have several projects going on, surrounding the hats, that I hope will both add value and deeper understanding of what I craft. I am very young in the Hat Industry, est. 2017. There are many things that I wish to add, but all in due time.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Happy you asked! I based my hat collection on Viking Names from history. RAGNAR comes from Ragnar Lothbrok. A famous viking who fought with England. Some names actually comes from family, such as SVEN and IVAR. The Indiana Jones Adventure hat that I craft is named after the Viking Leifur "the lucky" Eriksson, who happened to discover America way before Columbus.

I did have the names in mind, before the Vikings TV-series came out on History Channel. But it helped with some extra inspiration. My Ancestry goes back to the first king of Norway, Harald Finehair, therefore my company name is Hufvud af Harald, The Head of Harald. He had a couple of ba***rd children, among them a woman who fled to Iceland and became my family line. I have, unfortunately, no claim to the throne today.

Ragnar was the first hat style that I made and its the most develop hat of them all. It has change a lot over the years to look the way it does today. It's intended to be made with a slightly wider brim than the rest, at 2 3/4 inch compare to the 2 1/2 inch I make for most hats. Though, everything can be customized to fit your desired look.
This was very cool to read, my heritage is Swedish. My great grandfather immigrated to the US. He was an Eriksson (Americanized to Erickson), I think about changing it back sometimes. My profile picture is of him wearing a dress hat.

I currently like the name Sigtrygg (Sigtryggr)

Netflix has a good show called Vikings: Valhalla which I liked a lot.

Anyway, back to your thread. I do like seeing your hats posted here please keep doing so.

Do you have a physical shop or online only? My daughter tells me we need to visit Sweden and if I do then I can get around the $100 shipping

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
@EinarsM I was randomly looking at more curling shackles on Etsy when I found this:
1653931636737.png

I have been looking at this set for years. I have a set similar from JW Hats and I also have the Guy Morse Brown curling tool as well. I really like the the brass on this set was polished. The JW set is a black iron but not polished. I would think the polishing would provide a smoother experience in the process.

EinarsM

Vendor
This was very cool to read, my heritage is Swedish. My great grandfather immigrated to the US. He was an Eriksson (Americanized to Erickson), I think about changing it back sometimes. My profile picture is of him wearing a dress hat.

I currently like the name Sigtrygg (Sigtryggr)

Netflix has a good show called Vikings: Valhalla which I liked a lot.

Anyway, back to your thread. I do like seeing your hats posted here please keep doing so.

Do you have a physical shop or online only? My daughter tells me we need to visit Sweden and if I do then I can get around the $100 shipping

That's interesting! Yes, many went to US to find their fortune. Rough years in Sweden. Makes me want to do the same thing. Most of my clients are in the USA anyways, would be the ideal place to be a Hatmaker.

I work from a private studio, no visiting locations yet. Hope to have one in the future.

@EinarsM I was randomly looking at more curling shackles on Etsy when I found this:
View attachment 429733

I have been looking at this set for years. I have a set similar from JW Hats and I also have the Guy Morse Brown curling tool as well. I really like the the brass on this set was polished. The JW set is a black iron but not polished. I would think the polishing would provide a smoother experience in the process.

Those are great!

View attachment 429733

Is that listing from DeCou Studio?

Here is a special one! It is a LEIFUR FEDORA, but with a lower crown, 4.5 inch, and a wider brim at 3.5 inch. Made with a flat brim that gets a nice swoop once the the hat is worn. Beautiful! Dress weight not western.

50X BEAVER BLEND | CAMEL COLOR | SIZE 60.5 cm

View attachment 430930 View attachment 430931 View attachment 430932 View attachment 430933 View attachment 430934 View attachment 430935 View attachment 430936

Now you’re talking! I love the wide brim. It’s great that you can get those dimensions from dress weight felt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112