Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hunting Boots are all the rage

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
IMG_4874.jpg

IMG_4877.jpg

Doublegun

Practically Family
By the way, the boots don't say "Maine Hunting Shoe" on the back of the lower part of the boot then they are not true Maine Hunting Shoes, they are the PC version where the name was eliminated so as not to offend those who oppose hunting.

Edward

Bartender
Interesting footwear. Not sure I'm sold on the aesthetic, but it would be tremendously practical in some of the heavy rain we get here, especially as I don't care for wellies.

Doublegun

Practically Family
They were designed for function, not fashion, and they preform fairly well under modest conditions. I have worn mine for almost 40-years but the older I get the less I rely on them. Very little ankle support, virtually no arch support and the famous chain-link tread can be downright dangerous climbing over "snotty" logs and on steep climbs in wet grass. That being said, they were ideal when I spent a week early last summer in northern Maine. It rained every day, we were in/out of Grand Lakers multiple times each day and we followed moose trails between ponds carrying packs. They kept my feet dry and kept me upright on the slippery rocks in the trails. Guess that's why they are called Maine Hunting Boots.

I also have a pair of their camp shoes and I all but live in them October - May. Easy on/off, warm comfortable and they keep my feet dry. They are much more practical for walking around civilized areas.

camjr

Familiar Face
By the way, the boots don't say "Maine Hunting Shoe" on the back of the lower part of the boot then they are not true Maine Hunting Shoes, they are the PC version where the name was eliminated so as not to offend those who oppose hunting.

I believe the soles are actually different on the true Maine Hunting Shoe vs. the Bean Boot. The sole on the MHS is more flexible than the Bean Boot sole by design, allowing hunters to have more feel of the terrain through the bottom of the boot. Each time I've sent mine back to Bean for reconstruction and new soles, I specifically request the MHS sole. They don't last as long, but then again I'm not wearing them every day.

Cheers!

camjr

Familiar Face
My LL Bean Hunting Boots. Bought them in August of 1973 at the LL Bean Store in Freeport. They have been back to Bean 3-4 times for new bottoms and at least once for patching. Honest wear over thousands of miles chasing quail, hunting deer, hunting grouse and fishing in a half-dozen states. Oh, and there was a period of 5-years in Boston chasing girls.

IMG_0257.jpg

You're doing it right... Mine look very similar with a similar life (see page 1 for pics).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred